Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Twister Sigma 1.JPG
Twister Sigma 2.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 9 years ago

A friend had said that DE/SEGA's are like older-modern Sterns (given the history, you can see why)...and I agree. A lot of the titles, when cleaned up and tastefully bulbed, could easily be confused for a 2000 era Stern with hand-drawn artwork. Either that's a testament to DE/SEGA or a reflection of how little Stern has evolved their games. I'm not about to choose sides on that one. The point is, I don't see how someone could dig post 2001 Stern and not find a 90's era SEGA/DE that could be a nice fit.

Personally, WWFRR is probably my favorite of the DE/SEGA bunch and I don't see giving mine up (I searched too hard and put a lot into it ). Clever gameplay design both in rules and physical layout. DE suffers from this obsession with recycling Adams Family's mode structure, including how you light/start modes. WWFRR handles it the best, putting mode light activation on a ramp that is also tied to other objectives, and two mode scoops. I've said it before, but it rewards shot efficiency. One of the most useful mini-playfields in pinball as well. You wind up playing it a lot and it's valuable. Great use of the theme, regardless of if you like wrasslin.

Godzilla is a blast if set up difficult. The game style can be like a tough Iron Man or an early 80's title, where there are little to no modes outside of multiball. Just a simple challenge: stack all five multiballs.

TFTC is enjoyable, but that mode scoop's kick out needs to be on point so you can either live catch/drop catch off the right flipper or dead flipper bounce to left depending on which spinner lights the next mode. I feel it's also a bit too tough to hit off a lower flipper, which annoys me when so much is tied to it. Otherwise, it's a solid title.

GnR was the king of music games until AC/DC and Metallica showed up to the party. Nuff' said there.

Baywatch I've only played once or twice, but it had a lot of crazy shit going on. It gets a thumbs up from me, but I also recognize that I need to play it more to form a solid opinion.

Frankenstein doesn't get discussed very much, but I enjoy it as well. My experience is that modes are more challenging than other DE/SEGA games to start. Don't know if anyone agrees with that.

Jurassic Park is a great budget Addam's Family. There are differences, but whenever I am getting the urge to play AF, this is a great substitute. My big complaint: the sound sucks. It's grating as hell. If anyone is hacking this game, please, try to make the audio more pleasant. Is it the audio clips? The sound board? Why does this game sound so fucking screechy?!? It has some of my favorite DMD animations as well. Plus, Dinosaurs. That auto +1's the cool factor of everything.

Maverick...I don't remember. We had it in league for a bit, but everyone was annoyed with how slow the damn wheel took to lock a ball.

Batman Forever I've heard good things. Have a friend's folded up in the garage with a broken display (gawd damned large displays...fuck!)...wish I could set it up and give it a try so I could come back with an educated opinion.

Star Wars Trilogy...not into it. This is a game that desperately needs a custom ROM hack with a completely new set of rules. The layout is interesting to me. You have elegant sweeping loop and ramp shots that flank a lot of dangerous shit in the middle. I think with the right rules, the physical layout could really work. A side note: I've helped a friend whose head was underneath the hood of two of these things and that damned trench cannon magnet for loading the X-Wing is troublesome as hell.

Star Wars...into it. Haven't tried the new rules. Right now, it is the money Star Wars pinball game.

That's all that comes to mind...excuse my opinion dump.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I love my Sega/DE pins. Biggest complaint is the inability to disable the "gimme" multiball on the last ball.

I'm not sure about all SEGA/DE, but on WWFRR I was able to disable this in the adjustments menu. I selected PAPA tournament settings (which disables the 3rd ball gimme), then went back into adjustments and turned on/off stuff that PAPA settings switch off by default. Like High Scores and Match sequence (yeah...match on a free-play home machine...I think the animation is cool).

I'll be very surprised if this wasn't available on every 90's era DE/SEGA...but like I said, I can only speak for WWFRR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-sega-pinballs-any-good?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.