New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 77501)

are sega pinballs any good?

By bobbyt

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hwawonyu
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Twister Sigma 1.JPG
Twister Sigma 2.JPG

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

was looking at a sega pin for sale , just don't know if they are junk, how about data east also?

#2 6 years ago

Which ones are you looking at? One man's junk is another's favorite game!

For the same price as a B/W game - I'd get the B/W game for the flipper feel, audio, design, and rules…but generally Sega & DE games are cheaper - so they definitely have that underdog bang-for-the-buck factor.

IMO, any game that you haven't owned before is worth getting to jam on for a while.

#3 6 years ago

They made some good pins and some that were not as good. Southpark was a stinker but Goldeneye is great!

#4 6 years ago

Sega and Data East are great games in my opinion. They made a lot of fun games. GNR is an A title for sure!

#5 6 years ago

I own a TFTC by data east , great game , lots of cool shots and animations , shaker motor and lights are awesome . I just picked up an Independence day , and its also great , ruleset not so deep , however great ramps , lights , sounds and flow .. I also have an Apollo 13 , super cool game , great orbits , lights show is great , shots are tight and very challenging , the callouts are great, the shaker at the multiball launch sequence is amazing , especially since I have an additional subwoofer and overhead speakers custom built ( surround sound ) So yeah ! they make some great games...special shoutout to segas Mary Shelley Frankenstein as well

#6 6 years ago

I absolutely love the Goldeneye I acquired last month. What a sleeper of a game! Tight shots, 3 ramps, mode based, strong ass flipper action, two multi ball modes, two of the neatest magnet features you will ever see in a game, great light show and great flow! Awesome game

#7 6 years ago

Lots of good Sega Pins..

#8 6 years ago

I loved Spy Hunter!!

#9 6 years ago

there's a couple decent ones, but I don't and won't own any.
Baywatch is fun but artwork is aweful. GNR is decent, but wish it had SAM boards so the audio wasn't as terrible as it is. I like SST quite a bit. If I HAD to own one, it would be SST.

The data easts artwork all seems the same. I SWEAR there's a luke skywalker on the right back plastic of Tommy. Did they all have the same artist? Just not a fan or the art, sound or design of most of them.

Maver-ick? Owned one a LONG time ago and music drove me mad.

#10 6 years ago

I owned a JP in the past...didn't like the feel of it so sold it...was about to give up on Sega/Data East after that...decided to give them a try again...absolutely love my Baywatch & LAH...and as a result have several others on my wishlist...they make great games...some say they're clunky...rebuild the flippers, clean them up & get them working as they should...they don't feel clunky at all...they made some great games w/ original rule sets...go for it!

#11 6 years ago

I have a data east tmnt and a sega frankenstein, love both. Plan on owning more Segas in the future. It seems like a lot of the sega games are still in nice shape too.

#13 6 years ago

I never really tried the Sega and DE pins until last year since I always heard that they were inferior to the B/W pins. Now I have GNR and Apollo 13, and I am very happy with them. GnR is now my favorite game (maybe except for AC/DC, but it is really close), and I play Apollo more than Demo Man now for sure. If I get rid of games in the future, I don't think these ones will go. They don't really seem to be cheaper than B/W. I paid more for GnR than STTNG, and I think Apollo 13 is more expensive than DM as well.

#14 6 years ago

I was looking at a Jurassic park that I found online, looks like a good game

#15 6 years ago

It may be just me, but they seem to have a different feel (flippers, sound, etc) to me compared to say a Bally or Williams game; I do have one in my current collection.

#16 6 years ago

With all due respect to DE/Sega/Stern fans, I don't like them them. As others have mentioned, they just don't feel and play the same as Bally/Williams games. I feel like they're made cheap compared to Bally and Williams games. Now, there are a few great DE/Sega/Stern games as well (I have DESW and Monopoly in my collection right now). They're both good games, so I can deal with the somewhat cheap, IMO, feel because I enjoy the games. I think JP is the same way.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from krivoap:

It may be just me, but they seem to have a different feel (flippers, sound, etc) to me compared to say a Bally or Williams game; I do have one in my current collection.

Of course they feel different. Why shouldn't they?

#18 6 years ago

"are sega pinballs any good?"
NO

#19 6 years ago

I'm a fan of bally/ Williams game first and foremost, but why is it that just because they don't sound or feel the same does that have to mean they are "cheaper" than them? I'm curious as to the facts of why it makes them cheaper?

#20 6 years ago

I think SST and Baywatch are solid games.

As well as all DE games you listed.

Most of them I am not a huge fan. Good flow good themes but just seem repetitive and shallow. IMO

#21 6 years ago

Love sega Pinballs! Mindless ball smacking fun!

#22 6 years ago

They are good for the money they command. I would by JP Lost World if I could find one at a good price, and I was in the market. But the Data East JP is better, and one of my favorite pins. See my collection.

#23 6 years ago

Love my Sega pins.

#24 6 years ago

Apollo 13 and goldeneye are very good

#25 6 years ago

Have never owned a Sega, but my Data East WWF is awesome. TONS of depth in that game, built like a tank, and you can pick them up for a song.

#26 6 years ago

Baywatch is pretty damn good if you can get by the theme.

#27 6 years ago

VND is one of my favorite games.

Sega games were either hit or miss to me, they either did a *great* job, or they really dropped the ball. I really enjoy Batman Forever, Baywatch and Starship Troopers on top of VND and I own them all. I wouldn't touch ID4 or XFiles if you paid me to though.

Having said that, I'm the same about pretty much every manufacturers games, although I do think XFiles is my absolute least favorite game ever.

#28 6 years ago

Starship Troopers is sweet. Not many SST out there I don't think. JPLW is kind of rare to. SP is an easy pin to find, but does not get much love. I don't care for SP

#29 6 years ago

Sega has some pretty awesome pins
SST
Apollo 13
Goldeneye
Are my top three

I haven't played jplw

#30 6 years ago

There's some good bang for the buck pins in the DE/SEGA lineup. I have/had JP, Royal Rumble & LW3 (simple & fast).

I recently played tamoore's SEGA's, Baywatch, BF & ST, and wouldn't mind owning any of them. They're entertaining and most can be had for around $2k or less.

One thing to keep in mind on the DE pins, expect some board repairs/replacement, at least that's been my experience. Can't vouch for SEGA, haven't owned any yet.

#31 6 years ago

Sega games a very good IMO they are all very fun and addictive to play. The only thing I hate about them is the flashy GI that is nonstop..

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Sega games a very good IMO they are all very fun and addictive to play. The only thing I hate about them is the flashy GI that is nonstop..

Yeah that is annoying...
Pinballbulbs had a spotlight kit for MSF that really helped that issue

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I haven't played jplw

Don't worry, you're not missing much.

Actually, I really want to replay this game. The time I had played it, I thought it sucked HARD, but I've been told some things to look for next time I play that might make it suck less. I'd like to like it, I LOVE Jurassic park...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

The loud clicking always made me think it was controlled with a relay. Anyone know if you can trick the relay into staying on ?

#35 6 years ago

Independence day is a lot of fun, one for sale on here as well for very cheap.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The loud clicking always made me think it was controlled with a relay. Anyone know if you can trick the relay into staying on ?

Yeah I agree if you could fix that GI/clicking sound Sega would be that much better..

#37 6 years ago

I really like Batman Forever, and I've owned a Goldeneye in the past that I enjoyed.

As with any manufacturer, there are some pins I like and some that I'm not wild about.

Overall, you really need to play a game to see if it is right for you.

Pete

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

there's a couple decent ones, but I don't and won't own any.
Baywatch is fun but artwork is aweful. GNR is decent, but wish it had SAM boards so the audio wasn't as terrible as it is. I like SST quite a bit. If I HAD to own one, it would be SST.
The data easts artwork all seems the same. I SWEAR there's a luke skywalker on the right back plastic of Tommy. Did they all have the same artist? Just not a fan or the art, sound or design of most of them.
Maver-ick? Owned one a LONG time ago and music drove me mad.

All the art was done by a man named Marcus Rothkranz who is now an insane raw food guru... have a look: http://www.markusrothkranz.com/

Enjoy.

#39 6 years ago

Lwjp has a lot of tight shots and is fast. Many modes but I don't think they stack. I like it, the snagger slows gameplay but is cool. Fun call outs but horrible video mode.

Sst is a sweet game. Love the mini flipper. You really need to try a sega game as people's opinions range..

#40 6 years ago

Sega and Data East were pretty innovative. Heck, Data East probably pushed Bally and Williams into greatness. B/W had the better designers, but I think that DE had lots of forward thinking people that helped to advance pinball in many different ways.

#41 6 years ago

I played Starship Troopers a few weeks back for the first time and really enjoyed it. I've also played South Park and thought it was fun. To be honest, later Sega games feel more like early newer Stern games (for obvious reasons), which isn't a bad thing. A lot better than what they were putting out as Data East in the early '90s.

#42 6 years ago

I have several Bally, Williams and I like my Data East, Sega pins just as well. Not every pin is great but the manufacturer isn't the only reason it's great or sucks.

#43 6 years ago

I actually think South Park is an hilarious game......great party machine.......just my take......

#44 6 years ago

A SEGA is really a Stern for all intensive purpose's...

So if ya think Sterns are good then Sega's must be too...

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TruckGhost:

All the art was done by a man named Marcus Rothkranz who is now an insane raw food guru... have a look: http://www.markusrothkranz.com/
Enjoy.

Can't believe people buy this crap.

#46 6 years ago

I had a SST and I loved it. Good fun pin

#47 6 years ago

I have Baywatch and SST. Both are alot of fun to play

#48 6 years ago

Markus Rothkranz, self proclaimed top pinball artist. Yeah ok.

This vid gave me a few laughs.....

I love the LW3 quick-note: "Painted in 2 days", I believe that!

#49 6 years ago

That now explains, why the Jurassic park trex head....

#50 6 years ago

I wouldn't say LOTS of good Segas. Some are downright dogshit.

Sega's elite is Batman forever. Starship troopers is an awesome game as well.

MSF is tolerable.

Everything else is downhill. SWT is god aweful. ID4 terrible. Xfiles is probably the worst DMD game ever made. SP sucks. Maverick is ok. Baywatch is pretty damn good, but crappy theme. Twister not so good. A13 great novelty that wears off quick. LIS unfinished could have been good. Godzilla, not much to it and bland.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside