• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello,

Im considering trading for a sample game. Are the values typically the same, less or more? Game is a late Gottlieb EM called Solar City. From the pics, it looks flawless. Considering trading a semi working Flash for it. Any info on this topic or opinions are welcomed!

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Generally being a sample game adds value, especially if in great condition. I'm not sure how much on a game like Solar City though. The more desirable the game the more value being a sample would add I would think. Solar City is sort of middle of the road when it comes to desirability.

#3 9 years ago

If a sample game contains gameplay or artwork differences (TZ for example), it could bring more. If not, it would be less likely.

#4 9 years ago

Depends on the game, and what differences it may have.

Some sample games have issues that might make them less desirable - like Sample Jackbots, where the ball ejects were improved on production games.

But, a sample TZ may be highly desirable, because it has a 3rd magnet, different artwork, a couple different plastics, etc.

So, it depends on the game. I don't know Solar City well enough to say.

#5 9 years ago

I see people "asking" for more for sample games. I just don't see them "selling" for more. Pinball is a funny thing. In a different hobby I can see the rare sample items going for more. But in this hobby, most of us buy games to play them. So the additional value of the rarity isn't always that good a thing to have. Not many of us covet them over production games. Pay for condition and fun, not rarity.

#6 9 years ago

Some sample games are worth much less.

Like WOZ: the samples can't be upgraded to better software, so you are stuck with a terrible version.

Do A LOT of homework on any prototype/sample game you might buy- don't get caught with a 250lb boat anchor.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input! This really helps...

#8 9 years ago

And sometimes yes.A diamond plated FH among a few others at that time are more desirable.

#9 9 years ago

Depends on the sample and as always condition as well.

#10 9 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire would be another valuable example of a sample game.

Kim

#11 9 years ago

Dirty Harry in sample form is the only game to own/play ! I don't even want to play a production DH .

So I would say a sample DH is worth more than a production run of DH .

#12 9 years ago

Hey Jim, I hope you're doing well, man. Production DH is pretty fun also. Played mine tonight.

Kim

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Hey Jim, I hope you're doing well, man. Production DH is pretty fun also. Played mine tonight.

Kim

Thanks Kim, Drill out that PF and find a drop target for it .. I love DH. I would play your DH, you have very nice games !

#14 9 years ago

My LotR is a Sample game and its not going anywhere I love it to much.

Joe(acejedi)

#15 9 years ago

Ive got a sample game of Genco's 1947 Triple Action... the only real differences are that 1.. it has never worked as it was one of the line to troubleshoot... 2..it has about 100 plays on it and 3.. the credit wheel is a blank. no white paint or numbers. Its an iconic game, not sure if it being a proto adds value or how much, but to an EM collector its a true prize to have and for a museum??... Its perfect

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Ive got a sample game of Genco's 1947 Triple Action... the only real differences are that 1.. it has never worked as it was one of the line to troubleshoot... 2..it has about 100 plays on it and 3.. the credit wheel is a blank. no white paint or numbers. Its an iconic game, not sure if it being a proto adds value or how much, but to an EM collector its a true prize to have and for a museum??... Its perfect

Oh wow, that is a pretty significant game in pinball's history. I would think being a sample adds a lot of value. Can you almost picture a young Steve Kordek standing over it with his design crew?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I see people "asking" for more for sample games. I just don't see them "selling" for more. Pinball is a funny thing. In a different hobby I can see the rare sample items going for more. But in this hobby, most of us buy games to play them. So the additional value of the rarity isn't always that good a thing to have. Not many of us covet them over production games. Pay for condition and fun, not rarity.

I'd say I got about an extra $1k for the sample IJ I had.

#18 9 years ago

I've had a couple of sample (or protoype) games and they went away.
I suppose if you want to one as a 'rare collectable', sure, they'd be worth
more. From a practical point of view however production games usually
have bugs found in sample games fixed. The worst issue is when something
is unique to the sample game (like PF plastics or toys) which would
be unobtainable.
Steve

#19 9 years ago

Here are the differences on a sample Cirqus Voltaire. I think the differences are pretty cool and I like the playfield artwork much better. Many thanks to Craig Hassell for providing this.
http://www.hassellcastle.com/cvsample.htm

Kim

#20 9 years ago

Sample Jackbots should be about $1k less than production games due to the visor locks. They changed the lock design for the production games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-sample-games-worth-the-same and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.