(Topic ID: 195946)

Are Rottendog Boards as Good as Original?

By scampcamp

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

snubber (resized).jpg
snubber2 (resized).jpg
snubber1 (resized).jpg
snubber3 (resized).jpg
burned borad (resized).jpg
IMG_1056 (resized).JPG
346cfeabcb43740b0483972e8ab28708d2d294f9.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caligoldbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 6 years ago

I have a burned through hole on my CPU board from a transistor that went way hot. There is even a burn mark on the sheet metal behind the board. Someone did a hack repair job, but it worked. Had a breakdown while rocking a great game(F-14, by the way) and all kinds of problems found including many fried transistors on the CPU. Decided to throw in the towel on the CPU and installed the Rottendog boards. I have very muted sound. If you get close, you can hear something, but that's it.
Anyone have the same problem?

I'll post a picture of the old CPU for kicks.

burned board (resized).jpgburned board (resized).jpg

#75 6 years ago

I heard that if someone has already done a hack job, they won't touch them. The guy that did the hack job repair was very heavy handed with the solder. It's a bad mess. Besides, already have the Rottendog boards now.

#79 6 years ago

Still no sound. Doubled checked sound board connection pins. Didn't remove board, used mirror to see, but just for my own piece of mind I'll pull the board recheck everything.
Part two, I know this is off topic a little, but I have also been rebuilding all snubber boards with the information found here at Pinside. Found two fried resistors on two different boards. Aftermarket ones not being made anymore, but from what I found here, might as well rebuild them all. One thing that has confused me. Color code shows 470 ohm resistor, but everyone here is saying 150 ohm. Also upgrading the caps. with 3000 hr. ones instead of the standard 2000 hr. Jameco here in the bay area has everything. Two diodes, one resistor, and one cap. Relays are not being touched. Should I replace them too? Has anyone had a problem with the relays?

Here's a picture of the fried resistors...

Also has anyone seen a C-11232 snubber WITHOUT a resistor? Here is a picture of a C-11232 snubber without the resistor. But if you look close, there are heat markers on the board like one was there. Very weird.

Any input?

snubber3 (resized).jpgsnubber3 (resized).jpg

snubber1 (resized).jpgsnubber1 (resized).jpg

#89 6 years ago

Yes, I have been reading all snubber posts and it is a C-11232. I have two C-11232-1 with just a relay and a diode. Color bands on a non-burned resistor is yellow, violet, brown, gold. That means 470 ohms. This is why I have confusion. I followed the values posted on a picture in the snubber post.
One 150 ohm resistor, two 1N4004 diodes, and one 100u, 100v cap.

#91 6 years ago

Here is a picture of a board before rebuilding. Note the resistor on the board. Looking at the color code shows 470 ohm. You can under stand my confusion after everything read here at Pinside. Plus parts ordered from Jameco. Two 1N4004 diodes, one 150 ohm resistor, and one 100u 100v cap. Note the double size of the cap. being 3000 hr. Standard ones are 2000 hr.

Started into this unless someone has a disagreement with my parts shown. Any input here would be great, Thanks.

snubber2 (resized).jpgsnubber2 (resized).jpg

snubber (resized).jpgsnubber (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caligoldbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-rottendog-boards-as-good-as-original?tu=caligoldbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.