You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

193489.jpg
MM_purple.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi,
So I installed LEDs in my Transfomers from Noflix.
But the purple ones where so weak that they could hardly light the insert (you could not see if they where lit in lane change). I talked to the seller and they said that purple was very weak and that was also the reason that they did not sell frosted for GI in purple.

But is this also a problem on other brands?

#2 9 years ago

With ablaze I haven't seen this prob much. More with the yellows and oranges...Haven't used them much outside of some accent lighting, worked for what I needed. Not AS bright as cool but...works.

I could see it getting washed out.

#3 9 years ago

I have coin taker Purple LED's and they are fine not sure what exactly his brand is off the top of my head though.

#4 9 years ago

Try a different brand. Purple should show up. Yellows & oranges like agodfrey stated never seem to be as bright as other colors.

#5 9 years ago

I've never had a problem with purples being weak, but I use Cointaker's super brights and Pinball Life's ablaze 4-smd for all of my inserts...

#6 9 years ago

maybe they are IR LEDs?
Cointaker purple are REALLY bright.

#7 9 years ago

purple is notoriously difficult.

#8 9 years ago

Thank you for all the answers.
I used Noflix because you can buy it in Europe. Just think it is strange that they will produce something that are so weak (and useless)if other brands can do it?

Do you know a brand that you can buy in Europe that has insert and GI lightning in purple that actually works?

#9 9 years ago

As said, Cointaker Puple's are bright.

Here is a frosted one under a ramp.

MM_purple.JPGMM_purple.JPG
#10 9 years ago

Hmmm...lot of games in this thread have craploads of bright purple.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-game-200-in-prizes-led-enhanced-games-pictures

193489.jpg193489.jpg
#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

As said, Cointaker Puple's are bright.
Here is a frosted one under a ramp.
MM_purple.JPG 49 KB

Thank you for the example.

Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmm...lot of games in this thread have craploads of bright purple.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-game-200-in-prizes-led-enhanced-games-pictures

193489.jpg 177 KB

Wonder if they all are from Cointaker?

#13 9 years ago

Only ones I can think that are purple but not bright are UV leds aka blacklight.

#14 9 years ago

Comet has some nice purple as well. Pretty sure he ships internationally as well.

#15 9 years ago

I have used a lot of Cointaker s , mosly premium 2s and retros . Never any issues.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballa1983:

I've never had a problem with purples being weak, but I use Cointaker's super brights and Pinball Life's ablaze 4-smd for all of my inserts...

Are you trying to blind people and melt inserts?

#17 9 years ago

Purples? No problem with Cointakers but man yellows are more orange than yellow. Sucks

#19 9 years ago

Ok, Ill say something....

Inherently, Purple in an SMD, radiates a light purple in the short distance and darkens over distance.
A frosted lens can help.

All Digital Cameras do very strange things when photographing Purple...exaggerating them, so people want what they see in a picture...but the actual color is more subtle.

All resin diodes...low cost 1 LED are a bit more Pinkish. Much like the OPs concern with a Superflux...also pinkish.

1 SMD from all vendors are a bit darker than a 4 SMD.

The issue are inserts. Because of the short distance from bulb to insert, purple doesnt get as dark as we want. I often receive emails on how to get a purple bulb to look like the one in Ironman.

Well, Ironman has a Purple insert, and at this immediate time a Purple bulb, under a white insert wont be as dark as a purple plastic....but there are new things happening.

I will preface this, by sharing I have spent 10 months and a couple grand testing, remixing powder endlessly, and testing maybe 60-70 different bulb types and powder mixes.

What does exist now, are Twin 2835 in Purple. They are brighter, and are a nice help in insert and GI lighting...simply brighter. Cointaker has them now, my stock should arrive next month.

With this in mind, we have a fluted Purple in 1 SMD, and Faceted 2 SMD...not a darker purple, but a starburst of purple rays.

All 1 SMD purple from all vendors, IMO are close to each other.

Op-Max is a different Beast, and in GI, I personally love the Purple...It is only about 10%-15% darker, but it throws the purple twice as far. While it does come in 555, the bulb is too tall for most inserts, especially light boards, and is so bright, it can leak light into other inserts.

So I am now on my last hope...my last test....it goes back to Ironman...

Protos are scheduled in, in a Twin 2835, BUT with a clear Purple Lens.
It is my hope, that a Purple clear lens will darken the short distance throw, making it "richer" to the eye. Opaque purple lens failed...so this may be it.

It all reminds me of this commercial:

#21 9 years ago

The EYWA insert on my Avatar LE is a very dark purple. I put a Comet purple AC-DC Ultimate Optix Super Flux No Ghosting in it and it looks great.

#22 9 years ago

I bought comet purples and they are a light purple. Any recommendations on who may have a dark purple LED?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

I bought comet purples and they are a light purple. Any recommendations on who may have a dark purple LED?

Are your inserts a dark purple like my Avatar insert?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are your inserts a dark purple like my Avatar insert?

The insert is clear...

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

The insert is clear...

Well there ya go, no purple or any other color will light it up with pure color I have a couple of clear inserts on the game also and I put the same purple bulbs in them and they look like a whitish purple. Same with my clear flipper buttons that I have 4 blue flex on each button and they still look like a whitish blue. No matter what color you put behind a white clear plastic it will still turn out a whitish color.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Please read my post above yours.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ok, Ill say something....
Inherently, Purple in an SMD, radiates a light purple in the short distance and darkens over distance.
A frosted lens can help.

my experience as well.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

All Digital Cameras do very strange things when photographing Purple...exaggerating them, so people want what they see in a picture...but the actual color is more subtle.

very true. in my opinion i think the more subtle real-life effect is better anyway, but yeah the truth is for whatever reason the purple stands out a lot more in photos.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

All resin diodes...low cost 1 LED are a bit more Pinkish. Much like the OPs concern with a Superflux...also pinkish.

yep, i've got piles of LEDs and i've had to shop around to determine the pinkish-purples from the actual purples.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

....but there are new things happening.
I will preface this, by sharing I have spent 10 months and a couple grand testing, remixing powder endlessly, and testing maybe 60-70 different bulb types and powder mixes...

and we love you for it!!

Quoted from Animal:

think about what you're asking for .... a dark light bulb. you can go with UV bulbs, but they will not give off as much illumination. you can't project darkness.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you can't project darkness.

Unless you "turn to the dark side".

#29 9 years ago

Another plug for Cointaker purples. My favorite.

#30 9 years ago

OLDPINGUY, quick questions sorry to go off topic here but figured I'd ask since your in the discussion. How much energy does one of your op-max LEDs take up when compared to a regular incandescent bulb?

#31 9 years ago

Off the top of my head...a regular LED is 1/10 the power, an Op-Max I think was around 1/8....

I can get specifics tomorrow, but I may screw up the nomenclature.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Are you trying to blind people and melt inserts?

Blind people yes... melt inserts no I actually know a lot of people that do the same! Guess it's all just personal preference. I like my inserts super bright and I've not had anything melt.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballa1983:

Blind people yes... melt inserts no I actually know a lot of people that do the same! Guess it's all just personal preference. I like my inserts super bright and I've not had anything melt.

I know people like to think LED's don't put out heat. That is very wrong though, they put out less overall heat but much more directed heat. I've run FLIR on my games looking at incandescant, old single ablaze, newer single coin taker frosted and cointaker flex supers under inserts. take a guess which make the inserts hottest?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

think about what you're asking for .... a dark light bulb. you can go with UV bulbs, but they will not give off as much illumination. you can't project darkness.

How about a black light!!! huh?? I am sure that black lights project darkness, but Im usually stoned in the presence of one, so I could be wrong about that!

Im looking for a richer purple light. So I ordered Rosco-Roscolux-49-Medium-Purple-Gel-Filter-Sheet:
ebay.com link: itm

If anyone is interested, I will report back on how well it works...

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I know people like to think LED's don't put out heat. That is very wrong though, they put out less overall heat but much more directed heat. I've run FLIR on my games looking at incandescant, old single ablaze, newer single coin taker frosted and cointaker flex supers under inserts. take a guess which make the inserts hottest?

I'd like to see that data as that is the exact opposite finding of the gentleman on this forum that did a bunch of test with his heat camera. I wish I could find that thread but I couldn't. I do agree that LED's put off heat as you can feel it if you put your finger on it but the amount of heat is so much less than the incandescent bulbs. For a LED, I can hold my finger on them for as long as I want but for an incandescent bulb I can not do the same.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'd like to see that data as that is the exact opposite finding of the gentleman on this forum that did a bunch of test with his heat camera. I wish I could find that thread but I couldn't. I do agree that LED's put off heat as you can feel it if you put your finger on it but the amount of heat is so much less than the incandescent bulbs. For a LED, I can hold my finger on them for as long as I want but for an incandescent bulb I can not do the same.

This data?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-and-temp-reduction

#38 9 years ago

A thermal heat gun will register the temperature of an LED vs an Incandescent within 10% of each other.

However, that can be misleading, as there is a filament and glass to heat up with the trapped air, resulting in higher temps on an Incandescent.
Any damage from an incandescent is as much the heat, as sometimes the plastic insert, or playfield part....or the socket pushed a few mm closer. Certainly we dont see all games with incandescent bulbs having everything melt....Just time, bulb variations...plastic variations, and proximity.

LEDs will go from 92 degrees to up to 108 degrees..the highest I have tested so far.
But the heat is in a small spot, that spot a laser measures. It is also in a clear or frosted lens, a few mm lower, then an Incandescent, to the top of the lens. Plastic lens vs glass lens.
Heat sinks or other to help dissipate heat below.

So, yes, LEDs do get hot, but in a different way.....semantics, and an understanding that the two bulbs are very different....

Perhaps this helps?

#39 9 years ago

This one - Which oddly enough is still the exact opposite from your camera. By no means claiming shenanigans but I don't understand how two thermal cameras could give off such a huge difference.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-vs-incandescent-thermal-imagery

Edit - I read the first part of the post. No desire to read more. You state that the incandescent bulb was 220 degrees at the bulb and the LED was nearly half that. I guess now I don't understand your argument as the LED, in your test, proved to be much cooler. I just don't understand how a 140 degree bulb (even more directed) could make an insert hotter than a 220 degree bulb.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This one - Which oddly enough is still the exact opposite from your camera. By no means claiming shenanigans but I don't understand how two thermal cameras could give off such a huge difference.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-vs-incandescent-thermal-imagery

its easy to get different results. If you look at the insert heat pics (page2) there is and LED that is lower temp on the insert, the incandescent, 2x frosted domed led and flex super led. The flex super is hotter the other 2 leds are cooler than incandescent. Its fully dependent on the LEDs in use. The post you show is almost 3 years old. The LEDs in use are bigger and hotter now.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Edit - I read the first part of the post. No desire to read more. You state that the incandescent bulb was 220 degrees at the bulb and the LED was nearly half that. I guess now I don't understand your argument as the LED, in your test, proved to be much cooler. I just don't understand how a 140 degree bulb (even more directed) could make an insert hotter than a 220 degree bulb.

read page 2 its all there, or read about 3 posts up from oldpinguy. heat is directed along a small directional output in the LED vs the inc. You don't understand focusing, Think magnifying glass and an ant in the sun.
If you actually read the post it wasn't designed to say LEDs are hotter, I was under the assumption that they are cooler also, which was shown as expected. I was actually surprised when I say the insert being hotter with the LED. The point of the post had been because of all the people who say they do LED's to get rid of the heat then go and put in super bright LED's that do still put out quite a bit of heat, they are not getting nearly as much benefit as they think. Overall heat is still diminished but the directed heat can be worse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-purple-leds-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.