(Topic ID: 184402)

Are postal money orders 100 percent safe?

By supermatt

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

A guy wants to send me a postal money order to hold a game until he can pick it up. I told him I would wait for cash on pick up but he wants to show good faith that he's serious. My question is that as long as I cash it at the post office and they deem it legit is there anything that can come back to haunt me weeks later like with the money order scams? When cashing one do you have to show anything more than an I.D.? Do you have to give a credit card number to back up the amount? Does anyone have any experience with these. Thanks

#2 7 years ago

I use them all the time when I dont wanna use Paypal. Just sent one off in fact for a pinball. As long as its not a fake or counterfeit I dont see why you would have any trouble. Just like a check, cash or deposit it.
    No credit card number or anything, they are pretty hassle free to cash.

#3 7 years ago

It's your sale. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing.

#4 7 years ago

I don't take deposits anymore. I had a few times where the person didn't pick up the game forever and it ends up being a pain. Once they put that deposit down it tends to take the sense of urgency away. I have a first one with cash policy. It's another example of a few rotten apples ruining the bunch. I had one where they sent me a check to pay in full and didn't end up sending the shipper for 6 months. That was nuts and the honesty in me couldn't resell the game and send them back the money since I felt we had an agreement and I should've made it clear I wasn't going to hold it. Lesson learned.

#5 7 years ago

I guess my main question is can this play out like the other money order scams, when it is determined weeks later that the money order was bogus and you lose both the money and machine. That's why I'm wondering if cashed at the post office they must verify that it is legit and the funds are secure. I may go to post office and just ask them too.

#7 7 years ago
    I went to post office and asked about it. He said they run it through the machine to verify it's real. I never asked though the largest amount they will cash. Vid's guide said most post offices usually won't cash anything over 100.00 and tell you to deposit it into your account and that's when they get you because it doesn't bounce till much later and they're gone with your machine. It's just suspicious because he wants to pick up on Saturday and I told him I am more than willing to wait for cash on pick up. He had also previously brought up gifting me cash on PayPal which is another scam on Vid's guide. For all I know he may be legit but I texted him and told him just to pay cash when picked up.

#8 7 years ago

Just dont take any money till he picks it up, if he doesn't like it tell him too bad.

#9 7 years ago

He's probably just really wants it and doesn't want it sold to another, I would just say it is yours and I will just take the cash Saturday.

#10 7 years ago

I generally take Paypal for my sales, but as the only backup I use UP Postal Money Orders. Never had a problem and my bank easily takes them. I think they are safer because any fraud is a Federal offense.

#11 7 years ago

Another advantage to Postal Money Orders vs Paypal is that the purchaser of the money order pays all fees!

#12 7 years ago

I agree. He probably doesn't want it to get gone. I have had the same thing happen more often than not.

#13 7 years ago

He finally got back to me and it seems like he is just going to bring cash at pickup which I told him was no problem from the beginning. I think he was just trying to be extra accommodating and also didn't want to lose the machine to someone else.

#14 7 years ago

If that ever happens again, let him send the PMO.

Don't cash it.

When he comes for the game, tell him to bring all the money because your wife forgot to deposit the PMO.

Give the check back to him.

#15 7 years ago

Postal money orders are good up to $1,000. they will verify if it's a good one. you can cash it there if they have the money or your bank will cash it.

#16 7 years ago

Wouldn't that assume the buyer would have 2x the price of the game in cash available?

If that's the case.. I'm buying a different (more expensive) game!

Quoted from vid1900:

If that ever happens again, let him send the PMO.
    Don't cash it.
    When he comes for the game, tell him to bring all the money because your wife forgot to deposit the PMO.
    Give the check back to him.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Wouldn't that assume the buyer would have 2x the price of the game in cash available?
    If that's the case.. I'm buying a different (more expensive) game!

Most people are just sending a deposit, obviously not the entire amount.

PMO's are not issued for more than $1,000 in the States.

#18 7 years ago

I get fake postal money orders all the time from nigeria. They look legit too. If they cash them at the post office, then they are good. So if you are taking a M.O. take to the post office right away and cash it. then you know it's legit.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Most people are just sending a deposit, obviously not the entire amount.
    PMO's are not issued for more than $1,000 in the States.

This guy was sending the full amount. It is under $1000.00 game, so if he is legit I guess that would put him more at risk than me.

#20 7 years ago

If you can't cash it at the Post Office they would probably be able to check it to make sure it's good. Then you could deposit in your bank without the worries. If this ever comes up again that is...

#21 7 years ago

For $2000+ you have to fill out a bunch of forms for the IRS. I purchased a TZ with $5K in postal money orders. I had to fill out several forms and show ID. I would think that's a similar hassle once you try to cash them. You could cash one at a time (which is illegal, structuring laws) to avoid the hassle.

#22 7 years ago

Is that when a Money Order just snaps and shoots everybody at his place of business?!

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

If you can't cash it at the Post Office they would probably be able to check it to make sure it's good. Then you could deposit in your bank without the worries. If this ever comes up again that is...

From Vid's guide, it looks like they only verify the ID and watermarks of the money order, not the amount on it. So if the amount was forged, you're stuck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-postal-money-orders-100-percent-safe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.