• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 11 years ago

Are these any good? I think for a side strike they might help but I worry they might not prevent a top strike from breaking a plastic. Anyone on the forum use these in a restore? Worth it?

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Taxi_Page.html

Also, is this dealer reputable? Content seems outdated.

#2 11 years ago

The dealer is reputable, and I buy plastic protector sets depending on the game. They're never a bad idea, I guess. I just don't bother putting them on all of my games.

#3 11 years ago

They're certainly worth it: pretty cheap insurance in comparison to a new set of plastics.

Now if your plastics have some wear anyway they're probably not warranted (till you buy a new set).

PDI has a great rep.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Are these any good? I think for a side strike they might help but I worry they might not prevent a top strike from breaking a plastic.

The plastic over the middle drop target bank on Taxi is very susceptible to breakage. Only one attaching point. If it's not cracked or broken yet, by all means get a protector at least for that plastic.

Don't have mine any more, but it seems like I used at least one fender washer attaching the plastic and protector.

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, that plastic gets hammered. A protector should help to not see it warp too. I've seen that plastic warp a lot.

#6 11 years ago

I have them on my shadow. No broken plastics yet. Not to say I would if I didn't have the protectors tho.

#7 11 years ago

cheapest mod for the money in my opinion

#8 11 years ago

Get em. Right up there with Cliffy's. If you gonna play, use protection!

#9 11 years ago

They should help with drops from the top also since the plastics are supported from the bottom and the edge on the protectors usually sticks out a bit from the plastic. I put them on every game I own.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I have repro taxi plastics since my taxi came with broken plastics. So I am hoping to only do this once, repros won't be around forever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-plastic-protectors-worth-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.