Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Medisinyl
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CDBDE526-196C-4032-91B3-9A56A2966636 (resized).png
    01E31735-0012-4E48-9A8F-D492BF984F44 (resized).png
    91E7C1E9-03C5-41BC-9DB3-9CB0ABFE4AC3 (resized).jpeg
    ac02f37134b7e4e55b1746198d519f16 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.40.46 AM (resized).png
    LIGHTSWWITCH.jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

So we now have someone that has taken a modmaker’s cooling fan design, replicated it and is selling it on the cheap. Whether that was cool for him to do or not, that’s not what’s up for debate here. There was an opening for someone to take advantage of an “expensive” product. Whether he will stick with it long term to meet demand remains to be seen.

But given how ridiculously expensive Pinstadiums are, who’s gonna step up with a similar product at the $100-$150 price point and take over the market? I know that there are some DIY designs out there, but a lot of people would love a ready made product that’s plug and play.

#2 1 year ago

Maybe now there is an in within the topper mod community. I mean who wants to spend $2500?

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

But given how ridiculously expensive Pinstadiums are, who’s gonna step up with a similar product at the $100-$150 price point and take over the market? I know that there are some DIY designs out there, but a lot of people would love a ready made product that’s plug and play.

Allow me to introduce you to my free pinstadium alternative, you'll be amazed with the results:

LIGHTSWWITCH.jpgLIGHTSWWITCH.jpg
    #4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

Allow me to introduce you to my free pinstadium alternative, you'll be amazed with the results: [quoted image]

I have those in every room

#5 1 year ago

Allow me to introduce you to my free pinstadium alternative, you'll be amazed with the results: [quoted image]

POTW

#6 1 year ago

HurryUpPinball has an excellent DIY guide on YouTube for making your own. I think all in it’s $100 and you can make 4 sets. It just doesn’t have the flasher integration.

#7 1 year ago

There were some cheap alternatives for a while, but seems they were threatened out of business due to PinStadium patenting this "technology", ha.

I find them unnecessary but what's wrong with DIY?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

There were some cheap alternatives for a while, but seems they were threatened out of business due to PinStadium patenting this "technology", ha.
    I find them unnecessary but what's wrong with DIY?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting

It’s a super easy DIY. But as you know there a many pinball owners that do not know how to adjust a leaf switch, never mind tapping into a power supply. I was thinking someone could be making these plug and play. It’s a no brainer

Good one! I prefer a darker room. I typically just use a couple of spotlights to light up the middle of pf, but I don’t like blocking the artwork or inserts on some games. I’ve never owned Pinstadiums and never will at their price point. But if they were $120 I would put them in all my games. I’d rather invest money into sound and lighting instead of some of the toys that are out there

#9 1 year ago

If pinstadium was really smart they'd have a budget version in the $100 range but no they just keep coming out with "fancier" versions that are more and more expensive. There is certainly room in the marketplace for a no frills, ready to go stadium lighting mod. No dumb wifi, no app, no flashers even, just white lights, maybe your choice between cool, medium, and warm at the very most.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

If pinstadium was really smart they'd have a budget version in the $100 range but no they just keep coming out with "fancier" versions that are more and more expensive.

Or they'd be able to explain new product details in simple English without being cryptic or dancing around the subject.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Or they'd be able to explain new product details in simple English without being cryptic or dancing around the subject.

Yeah, the marketing wank dripping off all their products is very cringe, but a lot of people eat that stuff up. Especially a lot of the people who don't mind dropping 600 bucks on lights for their pinball machine. I imagine it helps you convince yourself that the price is worth it.

#13 1 year ago

Shittiest part of cults is they're usually more expensive than you'd think

#14 1 year ago

Ah. I see you have a plain old white light switch.

In my game room, my "Neo Fusion Lighting Actuator" switch is outfitted with "Thor's Hammer" and a "Platinum Photon Power Cover." It also has an integrated app that injects INSANE levels of performance to my pinball play. And when I say "insane," I mean INSANE!!! Even better, it's friendly with EVERY pinball machine EVER made!

So, you might have paid $16.99 for your plain-Jane switch... and I paid $599.99 for mine. But, sorry, you're missing out.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.40.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-26 at 10.40.46 AM (resized).png

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Ah. I see you have a plain old white light switch.
    In my game room, my "Neo Fusion Lighting Actuator" switch is outfitted with "Thor's Gauntlet" and a "Platinum Photon Power Cover." It also has an integrated app that injects INSANE levels of performance to my pinball play. And when I say "insane," I mean INSANE!!! Even better, it's friendly with EVERY pinball machine EVER made!
    So, you might have paid $16.99 for your plain-Jane switch... and I paid $599.99 for mine. But, sorry, you're missing out.
    [quoted image]

JFC I choked on my coffee laughing at this

#16 1 year ago

If you want pinstadiums just buy them, they exist and they work. Plug and play just like you want!

All this pleading for a black-market knockoff is unseemly!!!

You want your bright ass strips of LEDs, you gotta pay for them!

#17 1 year ago

After looking through their products, it seems that the pricing isn’t that outrageous. There’s quite a bit of engineering in their products so why is $600 for their top of the line product “overpriced”, compared to other mods that are just 3D printed and painted plastic objects which sell for more?

I mean, you get RGB LED strips in a what seems clean attachment system, electrical integration with the pinball machine and application control on a cell phone. That looks fairly decent from a bang/buck perspective. DIYing that on the same level (!!!) won’t be cheap either and take many hours.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

After looking through their products, it seems that the pricing isn’t that outrageous. There’s quite a bit of engineering in their products so why is $600 for their top of the line product “overpriced”, compared to other mods that are just 3D printed and painted plastic objects which sell for more?
    I mean, you get RGB LED strips in a what seems clean attachment system, electrical integration with the pinball machine and application control on a cell phone. That looks fairly decent from a bang/buck perspective. DIYing that on the same level (!!!) won’t be cheap either and take many hours.

$600 is nuts. I bought a set a while back to see what the rave was about and let me tell you it was NOT a clean attachment.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

ac02f37134b7e4e55b1746198d519f16 (resized).jpgac02f37134b7e4e55b1746198d519f16 (resized).jpg
    #20 1 year ago

What a bunch of cheap asses c'mon guys you're paying thousands on games & people going to bitch about a couple of hundred dollars shameless...
    Bunch of cheap fat old dudes...

#21 1 year ago

Pinstadium is a joke! But there are plenty of jokers in this hobby with money to burn which is why they keep advertising them.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

What a bunch of cheap asses c'mon guys you're paying thousands on games & people going to bitch about a couple of hundred dollars shameless...

I told you Im on a diet!

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Pinstadium is a joke! But there are plenty of jokers in this hobby with money to burn which is why they keep advertising them.

The do offer "24/7" customer service. I can't think of any other mod maker that promises customer service action at 3AM on New Year's Day!

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Man those were the good old days of pinball.

But you remember them I'm sure

Because you're cheap

Quoted from acedanger:

I'm cheap I made my owner 30 bucks.

And old

Quoted from acedanger:

After being a fan for close to 40 years I can honestly say I'm no longer excited about any further installments.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

Are Pinstadiums Next?

I read the thread title and figured it would go something like...

"I've already bought the $2500 topper, $500 mirrored backglass and $300 Invisiglass
    . . . are Pinstadiums next?"

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man those were the good old days of pinball.
    But you remebr them I'm sure
    Because you're cheap

And old

You are cheap dude...

Quoted from TheLaw:

Shittiest part of cults is they're usually more expensive than you'd think

Cult LMFAO just pay up or shut up!! Obv. they're doing something right!! Oh let me pay 10k on a pin but be a cheap ass bitch about paying $300 Loooooser!!!

#27 1 year ago

Pinstadium is for suckers. How people managed to see the ball for decades without Pinstadiums I do not know. One of the worst puke your pin, piss your money away mods ever. I will literally offer less for a pin with this product installed.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

You are cheap dude...

Cult LMFAO just pay up or shut up!! Obv. they're doing something right!! Oh let me pay 10k on a pin but be a cheap ass bitch about paying $300 Loooooser!!!

Hey, I gotta stand up for The Law and say that I've seen him win at least twice.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Pinstadium is for suckers. How people managed to see the ball for decades without Pinstadiums I do not know. One of the worst and most overpriced mods ever. I will literally offer less for a pin with this product installed.

Color DMD's are a waste you certainly can say the same thing about that upgrade. It's subjective.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Oh let me pay 10k on a pin but be a cheap ass bitch about paying $300 Loooooser!!!

I mean I CAN afford them, the part aboot them looking fucking stupid somehow keeps me from pulling the trigger.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I mean I CAN afford them, the part aboot them looking fucking stupid somehow keeps me from pulling the trigger.

I honestly thought the same until I put them in Monster Bash then I was like holy fucking shit I can see the ball. You do realize you can control the brightness through the app . Total game changer for certain games expensive yes but worth it!! And ya no shit I figured you could afford it you have 18 games loooool

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

... I put them in Monster Bash then I was like holy fucking shit I can see the ball.

Luckily I still have young eyes so I dont need them yet.

#33 1 year ago

A rule of thumb is you need 5x COGs to make a profit on a physical product. Back of the napkin math from the DIY thread has the ballpark of COGs at $100 so pinstadiums don't seem outrageously overpriced.

Would I pay that money for solving the problem vs turning on the lights? No but other people might have a different game room setup where it's worth it.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Luckily I still have young eyes so I dont need them yet.

I have young eyes lol I don't need glasses not yet its all about less glare & the colors pop with the flashers hate on it cuz you be cheap son.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Color DMD's are a waste you certainly can say the same thing about that upgrade. It's subjective.

Nice try, but wrong. Color dmds are universally loved and add equivalent value at resale. This is a decade-old fact.

Pinstadiums are largely despised, add no value at resale (except perhaps to another pinstadium fanboy), and rose to popularity based on the shameless spamming of fake/doctored before & after pics making pins look unplayable without them. Many fell for it. There's a sucker born every minute. Need more light? Add a couple spotlights for $5, or a few 2 SMDs. Problem solved.

#36 1 year ago

Nice try, but false. Color dmds are universally loved and add equivalent value at resale. This is a decade-old fact.
    Pinstadiums are largely despised, add no value at resale (except perhaps to another pinstadium fanboy), and rose to popularity based on the shameless spamming of fake/doctored before & after pics making pins look unplayable without them.

Go back to baking cookies; you're comments are stupid & bore me... agree to disagree [Removed]!

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Go back to baking cookies; you're comments are stupid & bore me... agree to disagree [Removed]!

Really? you don't like ColorDMD's? This is a first. To each their own

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I really don't get this mindset. You've already paid a lot so why not be OK with overpaying for something that goes along with it? How is that logical at all?

That's like saying "you already bought a $40,000 car, what's the big deal about being charged $5000 for undercoating?"

Just because the product it goes on is expensive doesn't preclude it from being overpriced. Would you be OK with pinstadiums costing the same as the pinball machine itself? Where do you draw that line?
    The simple answer is the line is drawn based on the value of the product, not the value of the product it is being attached to.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Good day, sir!

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Really? you don't like ColorDMD's? This is a first. To each their own

If he actually believed that he wouldn't have called it an upgrade.

#41 1 year ago

I really like how the posters here on Pinside are so friendly.
    Even when they have a disagreement, they still wish the other person a good day.

#42 1 year ago

Pinstadium is for suckers. How people managed to see the ball for decades without Pinstadiums I do not know. One of the worst puke your pin, piss your money away mods ever. I will literally offer less for a pin with this product installed.

I must say that I finally bought my first (and last) Pinstadiums last Black Friday. I only bought them because they were on sale, and decided to install them on my Godzilla. They had some confusing name with flasher integration, Neo's maybe? IDK. Here's my two cents...

1) I curse them every time I lift the playfield & forget they are there. Then I curse them as they flop & fall where ever they want when the playfield is up. They are a royal PITA.

2) They are intolerable at 100% luminescence. They wash out the artwork if the wrong color or tone of white (cool vs warm) is used. When fully cranked up my eyes can't focus on the lit inserts. And if you connect the wiring for the flasher effect, you're going to go blind or have a seizure when they kick on. Holy shit the flashers are obnoxiously bad. I disconnected that flasher effect after a couple games.

I keep them at 20% luminescence with no additional effects. It lightens the playfield artwork just a tad. That makes them somewhat tolerable. They are nice for adding some additional light if you are streaming on YouTube. I'll never buy them again, but to each their own.

#43 1 year ago

I haven't been around much lately, life just keeping me busy with other stuff and behind on pinball. Came to check in with Ye Olde Pinside and it's like I never left, people still arguing about Pinstadiums. Makes me feel cozy, like my seat is still warm.

#44 1 year ago

I love pinstadium lights! They really bring the best out of my gold wings!

91E7C1E9-03C5-41BC-9DB3-9CB0ABFE4AC3 (resized).jpeg91E7C1E9-03C5-41BC-9DB3-9CB0ABFE4AC3 (resized).jpeg
    #45 1 year ago

Time for someone to bring back all the “blinded by bright light” gifs from the competing QR reader threads!

The Spock one is my favorite.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I really don't get this mindset. You've already paid a lot so why not be OK with overpaying for something that goes along with it? How is that logical at all?
    That's like saying "you already bought a $40,000 car, what's the big deal about being charged $5000 for undercoating?"
    Just because the product it goes on is expensive doesn't preclude it from being overpriced. Would you be OK with pinstadiums costing the same as the pinball machine itself? Where do you draw that line?
    The simple answer is the line is drawn based on the value of the product, not the value of the product it is being attached to.

I don't get the acceptance of this, but it's real. VW owns Audi and Lamborghini. Some parts are interchangeable and price varies significantly. Guess which costs the most and least. I have to guess the company mindset is the Lambo owner obviously has more money and will be willing to pay more. Not a cargument, just an example of how this concept works.

#47 1 year ago

The product definitely has its faults, mostly the magnets and the price, but I like them, my wife likes them, and most of my guests like them. While it DOES need competition in a big way, I'll still buy and enjoy them.

#48 1 year ago

Proper game room lighting will prevent the need for such things and will look much better and more natural for your playing pleasure. I love ceiling track spot lights on a dimmer.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I've never understood this logic. I used to hear the same thing when I used to frequent A/V forums. "Hey, you're spending $$$ on speakers. Why cheap out on speaker wire?"

Um, because it's copper, and you guys are insane.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Not a cargument, just an example of how this concept works.

That is like comparing Jeeps to Dump Trucks.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-pinstadiums-next?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.