(Topic ID: 241725)

Are pinside estimated values accurate or is pinflation just insane?

By Nokoro

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).JPG

#1 5 months ago

I've been casually looking for another pin in the $2,000-$2,500 range and seen a few for sale that I might want. But, when I compare the asking price to the pinside estimated value, they are often listed for well over the estimated value listed on pinside (and, we're not talking about collector's quality pins). So, I'm wondering how accurate others find the pinside estimated value to be. I'm not expecting to make a profit on flipping anything. I just don't want to take a significant loss when I eventually sell.

#2 5 months ago

It's funny - when I was a new member here (over 10 years ago), the asking price for pins was well BELOW the estimated prices listed here on Pinside. I remember thinking "nobody is getting the prices listed here on Pinside"

Yeah - times have really changed. I blame the sky high price of new pins for the rapidly increasing prices of our old pins.

#3 5 months ago

Market speaks louder than estimated values. Machines priced right sell. Those that aren't sit.

#4 5 months ago

I think estimated values have to be taken lightly. Estimates of any kind have to. You can go through classified ads here and Ebay and see what machines are selling for to figure out what the market values them at. I made the mistake of thinking I could get an Alien pinball for close to the estimated value and someone else promptly snagged it for the initial asking price. I'm not making that mistake again - it worked out though, as another has come along that's an LE, which is going to cost me even more (and quite a bit more than Alien's estimated value, I might add).

#5 5 months ago

If your going off a guide to establish the value of something you want, thats your first error

There is no guide that will be able to tell you the value that would be correct. there are to many factors like location, condition, and the necessity to buy/sell

If I have a "grail" game that I want, im willing to step up and pay more than someones guide because I really want it and might be cloe to ovid shipping, etc

#6 5 months ago

The Pinside estimated value is probably using a good amount of older data. For a game like Addams Family, for example, the game is increasingly harder to find, which means increasing prices and less sales with recorded prices to Pinside to update the estimated value.

Ultimately there is no true "value" source or book, you need to research competed sales and take factors like condition, location, source (as-is out of a moldy basement or from an experienced shop with a warranty), etc into consideration.

#7 5 months ago

The old addage "it is worth what someone is willing to pay" applies here. Pinballs are hot right now. Almost everything is moving. Prices on the pinside market haven't been able to keep up...especially for the more desirable games.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

You can go through classified ads here and Ebay and see what machines are selling for to figure out what the market values them at.

The problem with that is that it shows what people are trying to sell the games for. Not what they actually sell for. I suppose if there are multiple people selling the same game for a similar price, that is some indication, but if every one is negotiated down by a few hundred dollars before the sale, it is not captured.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

you need to research competed sales

How do you get completed sales data?

#9 5 months ago

When i look at Pinside avg i also look at the archived sales history. So many games show sold elsewhere or dont disclose the value etc. so i wonder if this keeps the average somewhat artificial.

I use these averages as a mere jumping off point. I don’t use them as gospel. I have seen some recent movement upwards in pinside value on some games i was tracking. It just seems there is a lag here.

#10 5 months ago

Pinball prices going up?!

Bubble May burst?!

PRICES CRAZY?!?!?!

Oh hold on that game looks cool lemme grab some cash...let’s revisit topic next week.

#11 5 months ago

IMO, the pinflation is insane. Yes, I get pinball is back in the spotlight again. I've been searching for new titles to add to my collection and haven't bought one due to the inflated prices from some of the sellers on forums or other markets. A simple pro edition or standard edition pricing for a game title thats not rare at all or was not as popular, being sold at the price the seller purchased for 3-5 years ago or asking way more, IMO is ridiculous.

#12 5 months ago

Don't worry about pinside prices. Just pay what you're comfortable with and same goes for selling. These are collectibles and not exactly abundant if you're looking for a certain title. Sometimes you'll get a deal sometimes you don't. You're not really getting ripped off just because you're comfortable with paying a higher amount than someone else.

Supply meets demand at a certain price and the market is made. Price guides are total bullshit.

#13 5 months ago

I've been trying to find a DESW for around $2500 for a number of years. I think those days are long gone. Someone just listed one earlier today for $4200

#14 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've been trying to find a DESW for around $2500 for a number of years. I think those days are long gone. Someone just listed one earlier today for $4200

This is the new normal. I want a 5k tron. Guess what.. I don't have a Tron. I won't pay 7k for one either. They're just not worth that amount to me. Others are paying it and that doesn't mean they're being ripped off, it's just the market.

#15 5 months ago

On the plus side, profiteers who have kept old pinball machines in pristine shape, are flooding the market with fantastic machines! Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

#16 5 months ago

I do like a general guide to a machine's typical very good condition value. I use Mr. Pinball guide and cross reference with what games I have seen local that have sold. Condition and GOOD mods can push the prices up for older games. A good recent example is that FunHouse that has a sale pending for 9k. Super really nice FH. Don't see many FHs like that for sale. 9K for a FunHouse? Holy Shit! But it shows that a really nicely restored W/B game will bring $$.

#17 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

forceflow A DESW was just posted on Pinside for $3700 OBO in St Louis. You may be able to find someone coming from St. Louis to Pinfest to reduce transport costs

#18 5 months ago

How many spikes and valleys has this hobby seen

#19 5 months ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

How many spikes and valleys has this hobby seen

The industry has seen several spikes, valleys, and slowdowns.

The hobby really hasn't. It's been on a steady climb in both participation and prices (with a slowdown during the last recession) ever since the industry collapsed in the late 1990s.

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The industry has seen several spikes, valleys, and slowdowns.
    The hobby really hasn't. It's been on a steady climb in both participation and prices (with a slowdown during the last recession) ever since the industry collapsed in the late 1990s.

Here is an overly simplified chart of what I've seen with prices in the hobby over the past 10-years. Prices are up overall, however remakes seem to have brought higher end games back in line with your NIB (Premium).

Capture (resized).JPG

#21 5 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Here is an overly simplified chart of what I've seen with prices in the hobby over the past 10-years. Prices are up overall, however remakes seem to have brought higher end games back in line with your NIB (Premium).
    [quoted image]

That's a great chart and seems to show what I've been noticing, that these ~$2,500 pins are starting to increase in price substantially. At least if the Pinside average price is lagging behind by a year or more.

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

[quoted image]

you need to find a new Stern Pro dealer... you are way over paying...

6k!!!! yikes! since 2015!!! double yikes!!!

#23 5 months ago

The number on Pinside is a range. And it is one of many sources you can look at. Cull as much data as you can. No one source is gospel.

#24 5 months ago

I think the Pinside estimated prices are right on. $7500 for a Gold Strike, sounds fair to me!

#25 5 months ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I think the Pinside estimated prices are right on. $7500 for a Gold Strike, sounds fair to me!

Dang that sucks, Looks like I’ll be picking up a players condition for $7,000...$7,500 is too rich for my blood

#26 5 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you need to find a new Stern Pro dealer... you are way over paying...
    6k!!!! yikes! since 2015!!! double yikes!!!

Yeah, totally based on suggested retail. I figured that was the easiest way to draw that trend line.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.50
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 50.00
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 18.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside