(Topic ID: 21584)

Are pins missing "current technology"?

By Wolfmarsh

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 11 years ago

that's not the ONLY issue with pinball today, but that's part of it.

DMD should have been replaced by LED version years ago.
    WIFI connection be neat? perhaps an RSS feed that auto-checks for updates? Neat, but overkill (and not worth the cost). How many updates does Stern really have, 2? 3?

*update* Also let's not forget about pinball 2k, because there's no server (because there's no williams pinabll division) didn't they stop functioning, and you had to like create a fake intranet server to trick it in order for it to work?

#11 11 years ago

I for one, wish Stern (being the only pinball manufacturer that makes their own CPU's, everyone else is using P-roc systems) should at least create a pinball standard. When every start-up is using a standard platform, which is open source (and new animation, sounds, and rulesets can be created by the community), Stern is going to look even more behind the times. Maybe P-roc isn't as cost effective right now, with at least 4 new startups in the last year (plus the company itself becoming a startup), demand going up will only drive cost down. Hell, if Stern continues to release pins with unfinished code (and leave them semi-unfinished), that alone might drive people away.

I don't know what wiring looks like on P-roc, and I've never opened a Stern to see how wiring goes, but on any pin I've opened there are 20 molex connectors. I would like to see one (maybe 2-3) connectors I need to disconnect from a playfield. I'd be much more apt to work on things (even do a teardown) if I didn't have to worry about everything getting plugged back in right.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

Label the connectors and take pics. Practice taking them off and on

Ok, how bout some labels from the factory then, or make it idiot proof (each molex connector has a different pin-out, so you CAN'T plug the wrong connector into the wrong socket). Being an engineer, and knowing issues with production assemblers getting it right, and service people getting it right, you pretty much HAVE to make it idiot proof unless you want a lot of field returns.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Why not just label them before unplugging them?

I've never found a good way to do this, something that's massed produced from a factory would be more ideal. Sure I can put a label on the wiring, then leave a mess of adhesive residue. Not enough surface area on the molex connector. I can see labeling the CPU board (obviously enough surface area there). I suppose maybe a flag connector on a zip tie?

Just sayin, look at any other industry, it's more obvious than just a bunch of generic molex connectors with common pinouts. On a computer, an IDE cable even has a "1" on pin one, and a notch so you can't plug it in backwards. Molex power connectors are keyed, and all run 12v, SATA connectors are polarized, CPU pinouts are polarized.

#45 11 years ago

I would also like an optional better diagnostics screen/input. diagnostics have progressively gotten better (more organized, more pixels which means more text characters instead of abbreviations and sometimes just numbers representing menu modes), but it could still get better. Even if the player only sees the standard DMD screen, I would like to be able to plug a smartphone or an ipad, and have a full screen clickable menu. Perhaps even a search screen [tell me if you detect any errors] or [go into solenoid test mode].

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-pins-missing-current-technology?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.