(Topic ID: 21584)

Are pins missing "current technology"?

By Wolfmarsh

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If they add WiFi, and internet and everything else, they won't be serviceable.
    Right now I can field repair any pinball circuit board.
    If they start with all the micro surface mount stuff, it will be board swaps only = $$$$$$$$

And I can field repair any WiFi controller and patch operating systems on the fly. That couldn't be further from reality. You may not be able to service it but others sure can. It will be just an additional skillset above and beyond the current pinball skillset.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You are much better with a soldering iron than I.
    I'd need to be at my workbench with my hot air station to replace a TSOP.

You are assuming you would bother repairing the one
    On the motherboard

#51 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, think of how many 30 year old +++ games I repair.
    Techs in the future won't want to hear that Cockfight Pinball Company made it a CPU board swap only repair. That would suck because Cockfight is long out of business, and near the end that CPU board was selling for $900. They used a 7 layer circuit board to save some money and shrink the size of the board, but that 7 layer board is impossible to field repair.

Exactly. One of the design considerations of newer style machines are off the shelf parts that are field replaceable. For example if the WIFI controller on the board were to go you would disable it in the bios of the board and subsequently install a USB wifi controller sold as a kit and install a driver which would be a near automated process.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-pins-missing-current-technology?tu=pinchroma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.