7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by HighProtein
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, think of how many 30 year old +++ games I repair.
    Techs in the future won't want to hear that Cockfight Pinball Company made it a CPU board swap only repair. That would suck because Cockfight is long out of business, and near the end that CPU board was selling for $900. They used a 7 layer circuit board to save some money and shrink the size of the board, but that 7 layer board is impossible to field repair.

Exactly. One of the design considerations of newer style machines are off the shelf parts that are field replaceable. For example if the WIFI controller on the board were to go you would disable it in the bios of the board and subsequently install a USB wifi controller sold as a kit and install a driver which would be a near automated process.

#52 7 years ago

Who will have these WiFi boards 30 years from now?

Who will be writing drivers for 30 year old pinball operating systems?

Who thinks that we will be using WiFi 30 years in the future?

Think of the Roland 808 drum machine from the 1980s. Every musician on earth wants a reissue, but the actual ICs are no longer made. Even Roland themselves can't find any nor a company to remake the chips.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from XPinPinball:

I think the key to making a new pinball architecture successful is the decentralization of drivers. Smaller, localized solenoid driver boards and lamp drivers addressable by the CPU is key. The mindset has always been the more wires and fewer PCBs the simpler it is. That just is not the case. If just one solenoid drive transistor goes up in smoke, you have to take out that driver board and repair the damage and pray it didn't take out the pre-driver and logic on the way down. Localized drivers under the playfield would probably not impact the other drivers and be a lot easier to repair/replace.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Just wanted to say this is the #1 thing I would like to see and a great idea.

Agreed. This is one of many reasons why we believe the P3 will be the most serviceable machine on the market.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#54 7 years ago

Personally I would like to see each insert be a little OLED. Imagine a little display in every insert. Like the optimus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/). You have an insert for a random benefit, you can have that insert flash between all the random options.

It's not quite the same thing as a real honest to goodness pin but for virtual pinball I would like to see glasses free 3D and hi-dpi displays being used for the playfield. The pinball experience is all about depth and finally glasses free 3D can be relevant since you really just stand in one place in front of a pin.

I think the biggest tech upgrade wouldn't be in features to the game itself, but rather the underlying architecture. We should be thinking more Pin2000 and less old school pins. Going the route of a PC running an embedded OS as a dashboard is imperative to advancing pinball. A computer has way more processing power than the CPU boards ever did. They are easily replaceable (you won't be fixing a dead transistor on a CPU die but you can swap CPU's or motherboard, or ram easy using commodity parts. Internet (through wifi or ethernet) is imperative to supporting future pinball. Software updates are critical to supporting a game. Having machines internet enabled means an operator of large banks of machines can pull updates for everything effortlessly. Also networking would allow ops to pull audit logs in real time, maybe even post those logs back to a manufacturers web portal. Say an op logs into Stern.com and under their account are all the machines they bought from stern, they can view audit logs, test results, everything.

Boards should be simple, we should no longer be driving coils through hardware transistors. They should be connected through an interface board to the controlling PC and be driven by the software.

While on the subject of dreaming I would also like to see a headphone jack/volume switch located on the machine so in a room full of machines and noise you can still hear what's going on.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even Roland themselves can't find any nor a company to remake the chips.

OT, but I find that hard to believe.

I've personally had chips manufactured for projects before. All I had to do was submit the verilog and 1000 chips arrived a couple months later from china.

Back to the platform though.. I am surprised by how small the industry is, yet the different manufacturers don't work together on a common platform. I wonder if the hobbyist community created an open platform if anyone would adopt it?

I am not saying I am going to do it, I am just curious about it.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

OT, but I find that hard to believe.
    I've personally had chips manufactured for projects before. All I had to do was submit the verilog and 1000 chips arrived a couple months later from china.

Google it. There are about 10000000000 posts about it.

There are about 25 analog chips inside and 9 or so of them can not be found.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Back to the platform though.. I am surprised by how small the industry is, yet the different manufacturers don't work together on a common platform. I wonder if the hobbyist community created an open platform if anyone would adopt it?

P-roc is the closest thing to a standard platform. At least 2 of the upcoming game companies are using it.

#58 7 years ago

Crazy thought....
    How about acheivements? It would be cool if you log into a game, start playing and get a couple awards for something simple. It then drives you to play another game -aka -revenue- trying to get more achievements. They kinda started this with "LOOP CHAMPION" but it was like a high score. If loop champ was an achievement. along with 50 other awards, then it might drive people to play a kinda like pin-golf style against themselves

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 21.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 218.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside