(Topic ID: 91399)

Are Pinball Machines "Masculine" or "Feminine"?

By Strange

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Breadfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Pinball Machines "Masculine" or "Feminine"???”

• Masculine 18 votes
      69%
    • Feminine 8 votes
      31%

(26 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140520_112153.jpg
    IMG_20140427_102349.jpg
    DSCN2679.JPG

#1 9 years ago

You know how often people refer to their boat as a she - "Here is my boat Sally". Or how men refer to their car again as something feminine, "This is my baby... blah blah blah" like its a mistress. Are pinball machines also relegated to this feminine connotation because they are machines primarily cared for by men?

#2 9 years ago

I've never called it either. Might be a generational thing.

#3 9 years ago

I have several that I often call a bitch.

Kim

#4 9 years ago

Bride of Pin*Bot for sure. Elvira, Dolly Parton, come to mind as feminine.

#5 9 years ago

Nothing feminine about a pinball machine. It has a switch on it to make it quiet.

#6 9 years ago

I get my ass kicked by pins on a regular basis, masculine for sure

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I get my ass kicked by pins on a regular basis, masculine for sure

Last I heard pinball breaks down all the time... very high maintenance. Feminine for sure, haha~

#8 9 years ago

Added a Poll!

Vote Up~

#9 9 years ago

Depends on the machine. All mine have different personalities. Yes, I know I am insane.

#10 9 years ago

And where shall we put this poll?
    DSCN2679.JPGDSCN2679.JPG

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good point. "Masculine"..."Feminine" I mean it's all so black or white. Dirty Harry is just a San Fran manly man-looking for a meatheaded hot dog to make him happy.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I thought Callahan was Irish.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I thought Callahan was Irish.

My bad. I meant to say " and where would you like this pole".

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

" and where would you like this pole".

NOW that's masculine quote!

Kim

#15 9 years ago

In French a Pinball Machine is feminine (all French nouns have gender).

#16 9 years ago

All mine are feminine except PinBot.

#17 9 years ago

I call mine my boys.

#19 9 years ago

High maintenance and money sucking but very pleasurable, yep feminine.

#20 9 years ago

This is a "Strange" thread.

#22 9 years ago

Joined Pinside yesterday and was excited to start browsing the forums; now I'm fast beginning to regret it, if the attitudes about women shown in this conversation are common and accepted here. It's very disheartening.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Philo-Flipper:

Joined Pinside yesterday and was excited to start browsing the forums; now I'm fast beginning to regret it, if the attitudes about women shown in this conversation are common and accepted here. It's very disheartening.

#24 9 years ago

if you think thats bad....

hey! we're having fun. you know.... fun?

#25 9 years ago

Takes all my money...
    Only works when wants to...
    Treats me mean and keeps me keen...........Chicks for sure...........Oh wait..

Gives and takes a beatin'...
    Always there and one of the lads on pin night...
    Never tells on me the next day...........Blokes definitely.........Damn..

Complex, how's that

#26 9 years ago

I actually came up with the topic of this tread while listening to the audiobook today of Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols where the idea of the "Anima" and "Animus" came up. Fascinating stuff.

Supposedly the "Anima" is the subconscious femininity of a man often repressed because sensitivity is often frowned upon having if you are a guy in society. And it usually comes out in socially acceptable ways like having a "Beautiful Car", often given a Woman's name, or a "Beautiful Game Room". Very interesting stuff...

#27 9 years ago

I like that the English language does not have a gender based noun system. I never could get the Der, Die, Das correct in German class.

To answer the question, mine are all its.

#28 9 years ago

They have balls - duh!

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I like that the English language does not have a gender based noun system. I never could get the Der, Die, Das correct in German class.
    To answer the question, mine are all its.

Die Bart, Die: The Bart, The

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

They have balls - duh!

Still, last company I worked for got bought out by another global organisation and we ended up with two national sales managers, both women (and coincidentally both under 5 foot tall) they spent the next six months seeing which one had the biggest dick. Comical but im sure you see my point

#32 9 years ago

masculine for the most part....but I call "her" Luci

IMG_20140427_102349.jpgIMG_20140427_102349.jpg

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

They have balls - duh!

But 90% of my games all have broads with ample bosoms featured on PF & BG
    go figure

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Depends on the machine. All mine have different personalities.

This is probably the truth right here. It would be hard pressed to argue Cirqus Voltaire as a masculine when its definitely feminine or Attack from Mars as feminine when its definitely masculine...

#35 9 years ago

It's a machine. The Spanish translation for "machine" is "la maquina" which is femine. So that's my vote.

#36 9 years ago

It's got balls and a shooter rod. End of discussion. Anything on it like pictures of Luci are like getting a tattoo. You may have a pic of a woman on your arm but you're still a guy.

#37 9 years ago

Depends on the machine. Most of my cars have been female, with the exception of one big blue dodge truck. That was a male.

F-14 is female, I call her baby a lot. I called Spider-Man "mother fu€k3r" more than once, so that's definitely a dude.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's got balls and a shooter rod.

#39 9 years ago

Welcome, you ain't seen nothing yet.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's got balls and a shooter rod.

Lol, I just realised all my machines have a little button to get the fun started

#41 9 years ago

The classic Godard film...

#42 9 years ago

Nothing feminine goin on here

20140520_112153.jpg20140520_112153.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-pinball-machines-masculine-or-feminine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.