(Topic ID: 30953)

Are Pinball Machine too Over-The-Top with Rules?

By Rush1169

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rush1169
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have the Pinball Arcade on iOS (if you don't already have it, get it) and, of course, every table they have published. One thing I find interesting is that Taxi and EATPM are my two "go to" tables. Of the "top" ranked tables available, I play those two 'simpletons' the most. It made me start thinking. . .why do I like Taxi and EATPM more than MM, CFTBL, MB, and the like?

After some thought, I realized that I fully "get" those games. I know what I need to do. I know what's been done. I know what happens when I do what I need to do. I know what all the playfield elements do and how they interact with other elements. What does what is what I know. As for the other tables, I do understand some elements to the game (ie to get the trolls to pop up or to break the castle), but don't understand the full ruleset. For Taxi and EATPM, it was just a matter of playing them a few times. Each time, I better understood the interations, until after a dozen games, I "got it". The other, more modern games, I've played also dozens of times, but still really don't know the best way to play or what does what.

What's cool about Pinball Arcade is there is a pop-up section that fully explains the table's rules and features. So, today I thought, "If I understood the game completely, I will enjoy playing it as much as Taxi and EATPM." So, I fired up CFTBL and started reading the rules. . .the rules consist of 15 different 'tasks'. For example, how to light F-I-L-M consists of lighting K-I-S-S for 'F', using the Snackbar for 'I', lighting P-A-I-D for 'L', and hitting the Slide for 'M'. Then there is a section for 'Rescue the Girl', the skill shots, Mega Menu, Playground, Big Millions, Double Feature, Snack Attack, Video Mode, Super Mode, Move Your Car, and Extra Balls/Special. Each of these instruction pages have have a dozen to 42 'pages' of text (small pages, but 42 of 'em) to describe how to attain and complete the 'rule'. Combined, there are literally well over 100 pages of instructions for the game.

Now, I'm not totally discouraged by the amount of instructions, but I did decide it was *impossible* to read the complete ruleset and apply. So, maybe I'd start with 'F-I-L-M' and learn that during a game. Each letter is worth 2M, but if you spell 'FILM' in order, there is an 8M bonus. The problem is, I'm playing pinball while I'm supposed to sort out what's what where. Film in order? I'm sure it happens, but only randomly (for this skill level). There is another 'rule' that has you hit one of 4, mostly sideways, lit targets. Hit all 4, one at a time and when lit, to complete or start something else. Really? Well, I guess it will more or less randomly happen while keeping the ball in play. . .but of ALL those rules and explanations and all that stuff on the playfield combined with the fact that you can't always catch a ball and decide your next shot, amounts, for me, just a jumbled mess of me 'accomplishing' some of the goals, but really those accomplishments just happened because the ball hit the right things at some point, especially during multi-ball. It all just seems like there is way to much 'stuff' in the software and on the playfield to put together a clear, methodical game of pinball.

I haven't given up. I'm going to stick with CFTBL and keep hammering away until I fully understand the entire game. At this point, I can't imagine, even if I knew every mode, rule, and sequence by heart that I have enough balls to, without dumb luck, put together a 'complete' game.

I think about what games I really enjoy playing? Pinbot, High Speed, Space Shuttle, SWEP1, RFM, Xenon, BoP, Taxi, and NBAFB (to name a few). All those machines I fully 'get', I have enough balls to occasionally 'complete' the ruleset, there is not too much going on with too many subsets of 'accomplishments' that I feel like most of the goals I acheived was dumb, random luck of just having a pinball or two flying around the playfield.

Is it just me?

#2 11 years ago

Not for me. The more rules, the deeper the game,more challenging..
    Rush, you have 29 games and you don't know the rules of most of them? Interesting

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Rush, you have 29 games and you don't know the rules of most of them? Interesting

Is he counting the machines he has in video form?

EDIT: Just work on the basic rules then go from there. Spell FILM, find Creature etc. The other stuff will come.

#4 11 years ago

I think the best games combine depth and strategy for enthusiasts with a simple, primary goal or toy to attract beginners.

#5 11 years ago

It is way more difficult to figure out the rules on video pinball (Pinball Arcade) than on a real pin in my experience. It's too hard to see what you are doing on video, especially on some pins with multiple clear ramps that you need to see through.

#6 11 years ago

Deep rules are fine as long as the player can understand them!! I agree once a game is figured out it can be a whole lot more enjoyable, but a "great game" that is deep will be informative enough for the player to understand it... TAF is a classic example. Deep enough for the expert to not get bored and simple and informative enough for the novice to understand.

#7 11 years ago

No, but as RGR said the rules need to make sense. TSPP is maybe the deepest game ever, but all its rules make sense.

#8 11 years ago

Yeah like ACDC, sure this is something that has never been done before in terms of WIZ mode/ MB strategy but hell if the internet was not around or you didnt own this game it is possible that you would never have figured it out. Now that I know about it the MB is one of the best out there.

#9 11 years ago

Of the pins you mentioned, Rush, MM is actually quite simple. For starters just focus on making a particular shot three times (each time you make a shot one of it's three lights will light up). Completing a set lights a multiball madness mode that can be started from the Merlin hole. Ideally you want to complete as many shots as possible, lighting (but not yet starting) the multiballs for each shot so that you can do as many multiball madnesses at once as you can. This alone is a fun goal for the table.

The castle is even simpler: keep hitting it. Each time you beat it you earn more points and it requires more points to beat.

I agree that the way The Pinball Arcade explains the rules can be overwhelming. You really need to watch a video tutorial or, better still, ask someone to show you.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

I have the Pinball Arcade on iOS (if you don't already have it, get it) and, of course, every table they have published. One thing I find interesting is that Taxi and EATPM are my two "go to" tables. Of the "top" ranked tables available, I play those two 'simpletons' the most.

Those two 'simpletons' are actually quite deep, if you look back through pinball history. Two ramps, multiball, timed modes, electronic displays. All those things pretty much didn't exist 20 years earlier. El Dorado was the badass game when I learned how to play. Didn't have any of those things.

Games had to get deeper to keep player's attention (and quarters). So no, not over the top. AC/DC has taken it in a whole new direction. On a number of levels. With new hardware on the horizon for both manufacturers, the possibilities seem endless. Can't wait to see where we go from here.

#11 11 years ago

Now that I've got most of the DMDs that I want, I've started focusing on getting a few wedgeheads and, I gotta tell you, those games may be simple, but they are fun and addictive!

Going back to my LOTR after playing one of those can sometimes feel like going from Dr. Seuss to War & Peace!

#12 11 years ago

Players have different tastes when it comes to the complexity of rules.

Checkers: 5 minutes to learn properly
    Chess: 1 day to learn properly
    Warhammer: Several weeks to learn properly...

I also have pinball arcade (but on the XBLA) and find 'Bride of Pinbot' and 'Monster Bash' to be my go-to tables for the same reasons you were explaining. I 'get' what I'm supposed to be doing on those tables, and it's do-able and not over whelming. Other tables like 'Arabian nights' is so complex I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

Some day once BOPB and MB become too worn out for me and I'm looking for a greater challenge I'm sure I'll find myself wanting more complex tables like arabian nights. But right now I'm enjoying straight forward tables.

#13 11 years ago

I feel that the pinball arcade has the best explanation you can get without having the actual designer tell you the rules.

#14 11 years ago

It is basically a matter of record that games with too many rules are one of the factors that killed off the industry.

Book long rule sheets begets table design that favors long games... bad for ops and bewildering for casual players (who in theory should make up the bulk of your business).

Spiderman is a decent example of this: an experienced pinballer can play for hours on 50c it seems, a total noob might not know how to even start anything (the sandman target/figure is less appealing than the martian saucer or MM castle).

#15 11 years ago

Depends on the player. For hardcore pinheads, I think most of us want more rules, deeper games. I differ from most hardcores because I really don't like games that take like an hour to play (TSPP, I am looking directly at you).

For non-pinheads, over complicated rules annoy them. My wife, for instance, hardly looks at CV because she doesn't get the rules. However, she LOVES CFTBL because she gets it - she has to spell out FILM.

So yeah, it's different strokes and all that jazz.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from scarybeard:

Players have different tastes when it comes to the complexity of rules.
    Checkers: 5 minutes to learn properly
    Chess: 1 day to learn properly
    Warhammer: Several weeks to learn properly...
    I also have pinball arcade (but on the XBLA) and find 'Bride of Pinbot' and 'Monster Bash' to be my go-to tables for the same reasons you were explaining. I 'get' what I'm supposed to be doing on those tables, and it's do-able and not over whelming. Other tables like 'Arabian nights' is so complex I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.
    Some day once BOPB and MB become too worn out for me and I'm looking for a greater challenge I'm sure I'll find myself wanting more complex tables like arabian nights. But right now I'm enjoying straight forward tables.

TOTAN is one of the easiest DMD rule sets out there.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

I feel that the pinball arcade has the best explanation you can get without having the actual designer tell you the rules.

They do a good job of being unambiguous and thorough, but they are certainly overwhelming. They make even the simplest goal seem complex.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

TOTAN is one of the easiest DMD rule sets out there.

Exhibit A your honor... even pinheads dedicated enough to post here admit that they can't figure out the rules to their own games (this has happened waaaay to often for it to be a rarity) and even the butt simplest rulesets like Whitewater and TOTAN apparently are too complex for many people to organically figure out.

You wonder why the players dried up in the 90's? Case closed.

#19 11 years ago

I have trouble with the rules for the newer Sterns while the WMS/Bally ones I find to be much easier to follow. I'm on the list for a Predator and am a bit concerned that the rules will be too complex - nothing to base that on, just a concern.

#20 11 years ago

W/B pins of the golden age had near perfect rulesets people could easily grasp.
    Most Sterns nowadays are so complicated , it can be pretty frustrating trying to figure them out.

#21 11 years ago

Xmen is my best earning pinball to date and
    People on here think its too difficult yet the general public
    Gets enough excitement out of it that they truly enjoy it

#22 11 years ago

My favourite is TSPP. The game actually has to stop the ball, flash lights at you and even flip the appropriate flipper a few times so you know where the shot is coming from a where to put it

#23 11 years ago

Hey,

I'll chime in. I think you're partly right on this one. I'm a fan of complex games, but fully understand why people go to the simpler, "I can see everything right in front of me" style of games. I heard a podcast with Pat Lawlor saying that The Addams Family toed right up to the line with complexity vs. understandability, and games thereafter went over that line and were too complex for the average person who isn't actively interested in pinball to figure out.

On the flip side, I would say that part of the problem might be the Pinball Arcade versus the physical machine itself. I have absolutely no problem with the computerized versions of pinball games, but there is something lost in translation when you're playing on an iPad. Take MM, for example. On the iPad, you smack the ball into the castle, you see a castle on a screen shake a bit and fall apart. On an actual machine, the ball hits the castle, the physical castle shakes and breaks apart, and if there's a shaker motor, the whole machine shakes. It's an experience. On a computerized version, you're missing the "wow" factor that you can only really get when you have your hands on the machine itself. I would equate it to watching fireworks on TV.

Where this leads is that if you don't have the "wow" factor to keep you interested, you focus on other things; in this case, that happens to be the rules. If the rules are super-complex, and there's none of that physical impression made upon you, then yeah, I can definitely see why you fall back on the simpler games. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but I will say that if you ever get the chance to play a MM in real life, take a ball and hammer away at the castle for a while. I think your impressions of it will probably change a bit. Just my two cents...

Luke

#24 11 years ago

I guess Id be a 'C' level player, so maybe that has a lot to do with my enjoyment of heavily populated / heavy ruleset machines. Now Id really like to spend some time with AF to see what that one is all about (probably have played that one no more than 10 times in my life).

So, yeah, I dont know the rules to most of my machines and I know the rules to machines I dont own. I just enjoy playing. Didnt know a users manual should be attached to the side of a pin for a player to have a chance to "get it", but thats what it seems for many machines. The machines I like the most, I just play a few times to learn the game (without a book and a quick read of the instruction card would sometimes be helpful when not quite sure about something) and the next 100 plays are attempts to "finish it" (and do occasionally).

There are some games that just dont work for me. For example, RCT. Nothing really wrong with the layout or theme, but there are like 6 modes you have to activate and "complete". . . What messes this one up for me is that a mode can be started with an easy skillshot and you dont have to beat the mode, just survive/bat the ball to earn the badge. Just super easy to start and complete the modes.

In contrast, I really like NBAFB. I "get it" - start to finish - and without a book, just playing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-pinball-machine-too-over-the-top-with-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.