(Topic ID: 78858)

Are people really paying the crazy high prices seen on pinside?

By Deez

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by karmalord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-7.jpeg
    t2 a.JPG
    Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Areas like Utah and Wyoming are the black holes of pinball with no inventory and very few listings.

Hey, now. There is pinball down here in the black hole

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

LOL-Yes you do but it is a private VIP club and everything usually is word of mouth or KSL? I did not even know about KSL until I met my Utah and Wyoming Peeps(;

We'll let you in with the secret handshake

Any interest from SLC area people in some tournaments? Possibly getting an IPFA state championship started?

(Sorry, OT).

#127 10 years ago

A good reason to keep quiet about what you've paid for a pin is to not expose yourself as either a sucker, or a low baller.

I'm starting to understand that you will over pay some times, and under pay other times. Hopefully it evens out and even more than that... hopefully we keep buying and selling because we love pinball.

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

People here are funny. Holding on to what they paid for a pinball machine like it was a potential cure for cancer. What's the big deal? I'm fine with what I have paid for every pinball machine I have purchased and wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone what I paid to help them gauge prices if they asked me. Nothing to be embarrassed about here.

Problem is it does matter to certain sellers what someone paid. That information can be used to either avoid a sale completely (if they think you're a lowballer) or to take advantage of someone (if they think you're a sucker).

If all of this information were ignored, and we simply went on a case by case machine by machine basis... it would be simpler and there would be no 'alterior motives' exposed by anyone.

Yeah I do live in La La land

#156 10 years ago

Someone around here is looking to sell their WH20 for $8K. I cringed.

#173 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I sold my WH2O for $8k, only lost $2.5k in materials plus a couple months of my life. Like you I "cringed", but hey it's a hobby and I'm glad my buyer got a great deal. At least he'll play and enjoy the game.

No implications about you personally, Mike. In fact I enjoyed your video where you remade MB. Very cool.

I just think that $8K is insane for a 20 year old machine. It's a personal opinion.

#178 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I hear you
    It comes down to what people like and how they define value - everybody’s different. What I don’t understand is the concept of “price policing” in general. If somebody can sell a Class of 1812 for $7k it doesn’t hurt my feelings - I didn't buy it. I just don’t get why some people feel the burning need to shit all over other guys FS threads. Don’t get me wrong, I see stuff I think is overpriced all the time, but I don’t feel the need to tell everybody I think the seller’s price is crazy – What value would that add? Mamma always told me, “If you don’t have something nice to say don’t say anything at all.”

Agreed I won't call the guy out who's selling his WH20 for $8K, because he probably put $7.5K into it. But somewhere down that chain--somewhere in that WH20's lifetime--at least one or two owners overpaid.

The price inflation in pinball looks a lot like the housing price inflation in the late 2000's IMO... we know how that ended.

Hope you can find your mint TSPP btw.

#193 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

it's a fool that looks for logic the chambers of the human heart.

It's the people who try to take advantage of those 'hearts' that are the problem. The pumpers.

Quoted from pinstor12:

Some people can afford nicer pins, some can't, some care, some don't, some understand, some never will, some see the better than new restoration jobs, some can't see at all.
    Can't wait for the next price thread!

We see what price pumping did to the USA housing market... it caused a global economic crisis that we're only now starting to recover from.

Pinball isn't nearly on that scale, and it is a luxury hobby. Principle is the same, though. Greed does nobody any good.

#197 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

Chadderack said:
    We see what price pumping did to the USA housing market... it caused a global economic crisis that we're only now starting to recover from.
    ....................................................................................................................................................................................
    People priced pumped housing?
    I thought the sellers asked a price they thought they could get in the current market. I thought the buyers bought freely, along with their banks. No gun to their head.
    Don't blame the sellers, only the buyers. Nobody forces you to buy. Don't like it, don't buy it. We all have different opinions on what something is worth.

Maybe I misstated the problem as price pumping. More to the point, it was the flippers and the banks who gave easy loans.

That said, pure greed was why the housing market crashed. People made foolish investments with money they shouldn't have been loaned because they couldn't pay it back.

The situation is different with pinball, of course, because pinball is a luxury item... however the problem as I see it is the same... it comes back to greed. A few greedy flippers pump the price and people who don't know any better start paying that price. That jacks up the price for everyone and prices people out of the market.

It's not really a soapbox I'm on; it's just an observation. Some of us are just concerned about the shrinking pool of pinball enthusiasts when people are priced out. The principle there is the same as well... the housing market couldn't support thousands of million dollar homes that weren't really million dollar homes because there weren't that many that could afford them.

#202 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

...and it sold. I think 2 sold around that price.
    My first WH2O was $750!

Sorry... I meant around my area not Pinside No offense.

You probably had almost as much money in it as that, though.

#204 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Hmm? I only have like $1300 into my WH2O.

I'm still going to guess you're a stand up guy

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I feel like we're having 2 different conversations here....and I can't tell if you're complimenting me or being sarcastic...lol. Oh well, thanks?

We're all friends here.

#220 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm still trying to understand this thread. Pinside has the best prices on the web and you always know where the market is in terms of pricing.

Plus it seems like you might be able to trust people here a bit more than those on ebay.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-really-paying-the-crazy-high-prices-seen-on-pinside?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.