(Topic ID: 78858)

Are people really paying the crazy high prices seen on pinside?

By fattdirk

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by karmalord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-7.jpeg
    t2 a.JPG
    Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I still don't care about cabinets if the price is right. I appreciate an unfaded/nice cabinet as much as anyone - but if I find a game with a nice playfield but faded cabinet, and it's $1000 less than the going rate - I'm buyin' that game! At the same time, I'm happy if I get an unfaded cabinet at a faded cabinet price. It's all relative.

Yup, get a not so nice cabinet, then place it between two other pins. Playfield and backglass condition matters the most. You don't play on the cabinet.

#252 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You don't play on the cabinet.

What Neo does with his cabinets is his own business.

#253 5 years ago

Can someone photo shop the CV cat on this for me.

images-7.jpeg
    #254 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

They are the ones who refuse to do even minor fixes or cleaning.

Come on now, they wipe the glass down.

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Come on now, they wipe the glass down.

Yeah, they wipe it down with windex and call it a complete shop job. There are a few main ones here in California, 3 big ones here in the LA area and we all know who they are....

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

What Neo does with his cabinets is his own business.

that's usually on the glass anyway. Only cabinet part that might get some action is the front coin door section. Then I just use the Pin-bib. Attach to the lockdown bar to catch any dribbles you may get.

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, get a not so nice cabinet, then place it between two other pins. Playfield and backglass condition matters the most. You don't play on the cabinet.

Yup. My MB has pretty torn up cabinet decals, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. One day I might take the plunge and re-decal the cabinet...but in the meantime I don't really care.

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup. My MB has pretty torn up cabinet decals, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. One day I might take the plunge and re-decal the cabinet...but in the meantime I don't really care.

Pretty sure your plan is to buy the remake and sell it to me for what you bought it for.

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Pretty sure your plan is to buy the remake and sell it to me for what you bought it for.

Hah...maybe ...but that's purely speculation and/or years off so I don't care.

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

at least with MB, it had shitty decals from the factory. So doing a decal job on it, is basically resetting it like it was new anyway. MB, AFM, Shadow, Atlantis and I think Transporter had decals. Some others did to that I can't think of.

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Hah...maybe ...but that's purely speculation and/or years off so I don't care.

I need to turn to the darkside and get some Sterns now anyways.

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I have nice games.

I see from your lists that you previously owned The Hobbit by JJP. How did you like the gameplay on it?

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I see from your lists that you previously owned The Hobbit by JJP. How did you like the gameplay on it?

I got a refund before I got a chance to play it.

Was that a snarky enough retort to your snarky question?

Perhaps your real issue is it's available for selection in the first place. Maybe you should pm Robin a snarky comment about why he has it available in the selection.

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

at least with MB, it had shitty decals from the factory. So doing a decal job on it, is basically resetting it like it was new anyway. MB, AFM, Shadow, Atlantis and I think Transporter had decals. Some others did to that I can't think of.

Curious about The Shadow, was that one of the games ( like Indiana Jones) where it was screen printed over vinyl (so not technically a "decal")?

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I got a refund for The Hobbit before I got a chance to play it.
    Was that a snarky enough retort to your snarky question?
    Perhaps your real issue is it's available for selection in the first place. Maybe you should pm Robin a snarky comment about why he has it available in the selection.

I understand it being available for selection, so people can include it on the "wish" lists. Maybe some people would include it on their "own it" list after they preordered. But what's really snarky is to never take delivery but still list it on your "used to own" list. That's just not cool.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I understand it being available for selection, so people can include it on the "wish" lists. Maybe some people would include it on their "own it" list after they preordered. But what's really snarky is to never take delivery but still list it on your "used to own" list. That's just not cool.

You're really reaching there. You are aware of the fact that once you remove a game from your collection it automatically gets dumped to previously owned right? It wasn't like I made a conscious effort to put it in previously owned. I guess I would have been somehow more cool if I would've just left it in my own collection even though I got a refund. Nice try. "F" for effort, "F" for execution.

Funny though. I thought I remembered you being someone who posted some pretty articulate comments. I must have you confused for someone else. My apologies.

#267 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

You are aware of the fact that once you remove a game from your collection it automatically gets dumped to previously owned, right?

Never having sold, traded or removed a game, I was not aware of that. When I listed the games in my collection I thought that category gave me the ability to also list games I had previously owned (a subset which equals zero for me). I should not have assumed that you deliberately listed TH as previously owned.

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Curious about The Shadow, was that one of the games ( like Indiana Jones) where it was screen printed over vinyl (so not technically a "decal")?

well that's what decals are. Vinyl sticker printed. You can tell by the leg crinkling.

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Never having sold, traded or removed a game, I was not aware of that. When I listed the games in my collection I thought that category gave me the ability to also list games I had previously owned (a subset which equals zero for me). I should not have assumed that you deliberately listed TH as previously owned.

Fair enough. No harm, no foul.

#270 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well that's what decals are. Vinyl sticker printed. You can tell by the leg crinkling.

I'm no expert, I just read Brian Kelley's Indiana Jones restore thread where he explained that on some games Williams would put plain vinyl down on the cabinet and then screen-print on top of it (giving them a smooth surface to paint on without as much sanding). I assume that'd result in a different texture finish than a printed decal, since it really is screen printed just not directly on the wood. But maybe it's a distinction without a difference.

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm no expert, I just read Brian Kelley's Indiana Jones restore thread where he explained that on some games Williams would put plain vinyl down on the cabinet and then screen-print on top of it (giving them a smooth surface to paint on without as much sanding). I assume that'd result in a different texture finish than a printed decal, since it really is screen printed just not directly on the wood. But maybe it's a distinction without a difference.

I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if the decal was printed when it was on the cabinet or off the cabinet.

#272 5 years ago

depends on the game. FH , ES and games with screen printed cabinets look like ass with Decals and you can tell from across the room.

CV and TOM you can tell because they don't have that formica finish to them like original durable cabinets have.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

Some people can afford nicer pins, some can't, some care, some don't, some understand, some never will, some see the better than new restoration jobs, some can't see at all.
    Can't wait for the next price thread!

Yeah, but doesn't this beat a good old fashion JJP vs. Stern thread

#274 5 years ago

With all this talk about the screen printed vs. decaled cabs, one has to take that knowledge of what B/W did on the line and pair it up with another kernel of knowledge:

Rick at PPS/BAA owns all that original B/W stuff and probably has the artwork for the original screens used on those games.

Therefore, one can extrapolate that at some point(once/if he's able to find that stuff) he could license a few guys to do full cabinet screening using the "original" B/W cabinet screens(new ones would be made obviously). Question is, would he be able to just sell a fully finished cab for a game or would he sell the service to have it done to your existing cab?

#275 5 years ago

as one that is doing screening for original cabinets, I can tell you he will not. There is not way to do it in a minimal piece count, and make it cost effective. the time it takes to do each color is a PIA. Unless your running them by the 100s' . It's extremely time consuming and difficult to get everything to line up perfect. Ink drys incredibly fast, so if you don't clean the screens out within about 5 min, your screens will be ruined. Plus the cost to shoot the screens is large. Decals are much better value for a manufacturer, but are shit for the consumer.

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Rick at PPS owns all the original B/W stuff and probably has the artwork for the original screens used on those games. Therefore, at some point (if he's able to find that stuff) he could license a few guys to do full cabinet screening using the "original" B/W cabinet screens (new ones would be made obviously).

Apparently WMS did not keep all their original cabinet art or else it has deteriorated. Because Rick has stated in posts here on Pinside that: "The cabinet art will be decaled and will be 'new' artwork which will be 1200dpi scanned and touched up from a really good cabinet" and "Hi-Res 'new' decals created from a very nice cabinet that was sawed apart and scanned and artwork done to it" will be used on MMr.

#277 5 years ago

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.

True, it is better nowadays to work from vectored art and match all the colors to Pantone spot colors for accuracy and repeatability, but it's very difficult to replicate the hand-drawn effect and have it look natural. Sometimes things just don't look "right".

#278 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Apparently WMS did not keep all their original cabinet art or else it has deteriorated. Because Rick has stated in posts here on Pinside that: "The cabinet art will be decaled and will be 'new' artwork which will be 1200dpi scanned and touched up from a really good cabinet" and "Hi-Res 'new' decals created from a very nice cabinet that was sawed apart and scanned and artwork done to it" will be used on MMr.

That's because as part of the BW sale, IPB got the original screens to all the cabinet artwork (the remainder that wasn't thrown out and still useable) who then contracted out to PhoenixArcade to make new silkscreened decals using those original screens where possible.

#279 5 years ago

Ok past several posts were a bit off topic IMO,but I do agree that folks can ask what they want here for their pins.
    Where it gets downright insulting is when sellers (like the guys with the black checkered floor) post pins here for double the value on a site that's filled with folks who are otherwise very fair and deal in an honest manner.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 399.95
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    $ 90.00
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 209.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 249.00
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.95
    $ 79.00
    $ 24.50
    There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside