(Topic ID: 78858)

Are people really paying the crazy high prices seen on pinside?

By fattdirk

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by karmalord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-7.jpeg
    t2 a.JPG
    Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Hey, now. There is pinball down here in the black hole

LOL-Yes you do but it is a private VIP club and everything usually is word of mouth or KSL? I did not even know about KSL until I met my Utah and Wyoming Peeps(;

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

If I can get a decent Tommy for $2300-I will take five of them.

Well it looks like you can get one from joshmx19 so you just need 4 more

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I did not even know about KSL until I met my Utah and Wyoming Peeps(;

Word my brotha.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Well it looks like you can get one from joshmx19 so you just need 4 more

From Ad...
    I am selling my Tommy machine. It has been lightly shopped with LEDs put in the GI and new rubbers and bulbs everywhere else. Flippers have been rebuilt and the game works and plays well. Its certainly not CQ as the cabinet has been touched up here and there (before I got it) and the wires seem to be pretty dirty and I didn't tear it down enough to wash those. The only thing that doesn't work is the blinder for the apron. All the parts are there but I think the small board under the apron is bad. There is a guy in Germany working on a new board though and they have been reproduced in the past although pinball life sold the last one a few weeks ago. The playfield is pretty nice with only a few wear spots on Tommys jacket (just down to white not wood) and behind the Union Jack shot (Easy touch up as it is black and hidden under a wire form ) The DMD looks good but it is not showing up well in pics because the shutter is set fast for the LEDs.

Like I said if you find a decent Tommy- not player quality I would be interested for $2300(;

#55 5 years ago

*In general* (and not a complaint), the people posting here know less about how to fix machines, which means they are looking for plug 'n play machines that are ready to go, and therefore gives them a price premium. We've talked about this a lot on here when people say "There are no $1k DMDs" and I say, "Well, hell, I bought four in the past year, so clearly there have been." The response has been that they weren't on here, yet on three of the four that I bought, I found them on Pinside ads. And didn't buy them day one.

But I like to buy projects and bring them back to life. 12 years of pin ownership allows me to do that. Other people don't have the luxury of buying a $800 DMD title and then spending 50 hours with it torn apart before rebuilding it. If you counted my time at $10 / hour, it's now a $1300 game.

Add that to a lot of the people that post the "Wish you were closer!" stuff are doing so because they bought the machine at a high price and are saying that yeah, this price is about what I paid, if you were closer I would have picked up yours instead. Not a bad deal at all.

The other thing is that for the past year or two, people were conditioned that anything they added to a machine made the value go up by what they put in plus some sort of premium on top of that. Buy a NIB Stern for $4500, add $300 in mods, now it's worth $5k, because you've got to include time! And people were paying those prices, so why not? It seems like lately, mods are worth only part of their cost in sale again, and that is making people who invested in adding stuff to their games want to cheerlead on the higher prices for the games with more stuff in them.

For the record, none of this is wrong, and if you buy a machine that I would consider "overpriced" by $1k, but you love it, it doesn't matter what I think. It's a hobby, expect to lose some money and enjoy it

#56 5 years ago

Book price means nothing now. It's like a smoker looking up the book price for his "weed." If ya gotta have it, your'e gonna pay it.

#57 5 years ago

how many weeks til the next price thread?

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

LOL-Yes you do but it is a private VIP club and everything usually is word of mouth or KSL? I did not even know about KSL until I met my Utah and Wyoming Peeps(;

We'll let you in with the secret handshake

Any interest from SLC area people in some tournaments? Possibly getting an IPFA state championship started?

(Sorry, OT).

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Agreed for the most part. But there are a CRAP TON of machines here in N. CA (PAGG attests to this), but not many for sale.

Seems like a shortage in So Cal for good machines.

#60 5 years ago

I personally use eBay's Completed Listings option when I price pinball machines. You can see every one of the overpriced games there with the prices in red. The only prices that mean ANYTHING are the ones in green. That would be what the buyer actually paid at auction/bin close. There's the occasional "I really wanted that Hurricane so I paid $2500" auctions but most of them reflect the real world.

I chuckle sometimes when I see games listed here for more than they're worth especially when there's a multitude of "great price" follow-ups. But sometimes you just gotta have THAT game so you pay.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Most sales you see are linked directly to EBay and that's something most Pinsiders steer clear from. The one that amazes me the most is FUN and their outrageous price points. You spot them by the black and white checkered floor with staircase .They usually ask about double of what the machine normally sells for. Amazing is the fact they do well as they have been listing like this for quite some time.

ebay.com link » Attack From Mars Pinball Machine Bally Great Condition 199 Shipping

ebay.com link » Jurassic Park Pinball Machine The Lost World By Sega Super Condition

ebay.com link » Revenge From Mars Pinball Machine Super Excellent Condition 199 Shipping

ebay.com link » Restored 1978 Bally Playboy Pinball Machine Super Nice Looks Like New

#62 5 years ago

I see many use the pinball pricing guide. This can be misleading and the prices are understated when prices are trending up (i.e. it was advantageous to use the 2013 pricing guide when you bought pinball machines in early 2013 at the "top of the market" because the data is old so you get better pricing). HOWEVER, the 2014 pricing guide in my opinion is way overstated on MANY TITLES. So beware. Prices have come down on many titles since the book was put together (used date from late 2012 through mid 2013 which was "at the top of the market").

So be careful using pricing guides....plus condition is king and condition drives price more then anything. A players condition machine can be below the pricing guide and you can be getting "ripped off" or you may be buying a Chris Hutchins restored game for slightly above the pricing guide.....IN THAT CASE YOU ARE GETTING A GREAT DEAL !!!

So the pinball pricing guide is just that. Your best bet is to look for what machines sold for currently. SELLING PRICE not asking price and how long they sat before they sold....that is what I do.

Good luck to you !!!

#63 5 years ago

The title of this thread is somewhat ironic, as it would seem to indicate that prices are going up. The reality is that prices appear to be falling across the board for the first time in years. Sure, there are still plenty of people listing games for top dollar on Pinside, but most of those games aren't selling for those prices.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Recent examples of over priced games in N. CA

Agree with this 100%. Slim pickings for months & most overpriced. Fingers crossed for better luck at PAGG

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

I feel like I keep seeing sale threads on this board which seem ridiculously high for a machine and then immediately after people will post how they think it's a cheap price and they wish they were closer. The machine will then sit at that price for a few weeks and sometimes longer until they eventually get sold. If you do a quick comparison of the prices listed in these threads compared to pinpedia or bostonpinball, they're 20% + higher. I wish that sellers would be required to list the actual sale price of the machine in the thread so I could get a better feel of what is occurring. I just can't believe that some people are paying crazy money for some B titles.
    I understand the whole concept of a machine having higher value if it is shopped, LEDd and condition condition condition. I just wish there was more price transparency in the hobby and since pinpedia and bostonpinball use actual completed sales, how the pinside prices could be so much higher.

You should review this post-
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-huo-terminator-2
    Sounds a lot like what you are saying

#66 5 years ago

I'll pay what I feel appropriate for a game. If someone wants to pay these prices, it's more of a loss for them than it is for me. They can be suckered into these things, but I'm smarter than that and more patient. Markets always have their highs and lows and this is definitely the high period. I'll wait for when prices start to make more sense, thank you.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Is my Tommy for $2200 obo too high? Cause I am not getting crap on it. What are Tommys going for? Mr Pinball says $2750 this year so I thought I was pricing it fairly.

tommy is all over the place. I had one that looked like it just came out of the box and got $5500 for it. but it played and looked exceptional. the one I have now also looks very minty, not as smooth playing and paid $2500ish for it.

#68 5 years ago

I think you pay the price you want for the game you want. There is always one guy in one part of the country who says you paid too much , and then another guy who paid MORE than you did.

I also think that sellers know more collectors are entering the hobby and try to float prices pretty high for a starting point. A pinball machine M.S.R.P., if you will.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

I'll pay what I feel appropriate for a game. If someone wants to pay these prices, it's more of a loss for them than it is for me. They can be suckered into these things, but I'm smarter than that and more patient. Markets always have their highs and lows and this is definitely the high period. I'll wait for when prices start to make more sense, thank you.

Which is why you have zero pins?

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I had one that looked like it just came out of the box and got $5500 for it.

Teekee is now officially safe from being criticized for anything he sells.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

If it said Stern or Bally/williams on it. He'd say I gave it away at that price and they are worth twice that.

#72 5 years ago

Prices are definitely high.....keep the new 2014 pinball price guide as it will be a LONG TIME until any subsequent price guide shows prices higher then that one.....watch and learn.....also, take the 2009 price guide and do some comparisions and some of the increases will "blow your mind".....those days are long over.....and yes, prices can go back to 2009 someday.....never say never.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

It's a hobby, expect to lose some money and enjoy it

Exactly.

How many other hobbies are there where you can you sell your toys for anywhere close to what you paid, and occasionally more? (Not that I've ever sold one. )

And you can actually play with the toys. Develop skills, both playing and maintaining. Compete, on your terms, from the high scores to leagues to tournaments. No giant gas tanks that need filling.

I'm preaching to the choir, but pin has it all.

#74 5 years ago

GLWS and "Wish I was closer" comments are just noise from guys who for some reason care about increasing their post count scoring. Totally worthless comments that add zero value to any thread.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

GLWS and "Wish I was closer" comments are just noise from guys who for some reason care about increasing their post count scoring. Totally worthless comments that add zero value to any thread.

+1

#76 5 years ago

I've gotten a little smarter about my buying, but to be honest...if I have to have it, I'm probably going to pay a little too much. Especially if I have invested time/travel getting to the deal. I've walked away too from machines that were not what I expected once seeing them in person. My first machine I ended up having to pay too much to replace a backglass, when I paid a little too much for the whole machine to begin with...sold at a loss, but a great learning experience.

I've bought 11 machines, and you won't find records of the prices I paid anywhere on the net, unless I've told you. So whether or not my price was about right for the condition, there is a huge absence of data...we all go by what little we see out there, and it's a very rough estimate at best. If you are buying for the reason to keep an enjoy for some time, and don't give a hoot about what you might or might not get for a game if you eventually sell, the price is always right.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Criticize me all you want... I could care less. If someone buys a pin from me and is happy with the purchase (and they always are) that's all that matters to me. Whine away!

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

You should review this post-
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-huo-terminator-2
    Sounds a lot like what you are saying

This is a great example. Everyone was telling me how this HUO T2 is worth a fortune. I kept it till I got bored with it and tried to sell it for what people told me it's "worth" and get no bites. Eventually I just traded it away. That is first hand experience that pinside prices are BS and people aren't paying what they say they will. The talk is cheap.

#79 5 years ago

If you pay attention at all, like Gweem said, prices are and have been dropping across the board for a while now and noticeably since the announcement of MMr.

People on Pinside aren't stupid and the prices that pins sell for usually reflect that. Some people are still living in the year 2000 with their pin pricing mindset.

I'd say Pinside is a pretty efficient and accurate market compared to anything else out there. Mr. Pinball ads, not so much.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

This is a great example. Everyone was telling me how this HUO T2 is worth a fortune. I kept it till I got bored with it and tried to sell it for what people told me it's "worth" and get no bites. Eventually I just traded it away. That is first hand experience that pinside prices are BS and people aren't paying what they say they will. The talk is cheap.

I remember that thread....and i also remember i was getting crapped on because I thought the suggested pinside prices were way too high. I just shut my mouth and I let all the pumpers..excuse me I mean experts speak.

#81 5 years ago

I just read it again. i guess i was way low on the 2k, but that was just me personally. I could never pay more then 2k for a T2, even if Arnold signed the translite and it was given to his mistress as a gift.

#82 5 years ago

The way to figure out a good price:

Take the average of this:

Price an owner thinks his PIN X is worth and the price a prospective buyer thinks PIN X is worth.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

The way to figure out a good price:
    Take the average of this:
    Price an owner thinks his PIN X is worth and the price a prospective buyer thinks PIN X is worth.

That could work! I'm off to test this new theory and bring forth a new age of pinball-buying science.

#84 5 years ago

I find that posting WTB for specific pins will usually illicit reasonable responses in terms of price. EABundy is the only guy as of late, that has been posting pins for sale at more "normal" prices in my opinion.

When you see a pin listed here for sale at 1k above typical market value...followed by furious bumping by the OP for several days...I usually think to myself..."this guy is having financial trouble".

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Or maybe someone truly wishes the other person good luck. Why is this such a crazy notion to you?

#86 5 years ago

I've said it a bunch of times - I really won't complain about someone's price if the game is completely done right. If the game is fully working, shopped out, flippers rebuilt, and electronically stable, I have no issue with people asking top dollar. If they get it - good for them - they put effort into the game and that's worth something. If they don't - the market will dictate the value of the game.

It's when people post games with blown out playfields, that are blatantly unshopped, or that need major components replaced (but won't pony up the cash to finish the job and expect to get market value)... That's when it gets a little frustrating to see.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

On Klov is an "Overpriced game thread" that has some funny stuff.

That IS hilarious, considering that over there, you're not allowed to call someone out for selling dirty busted used parts for more than you can get for brand new from a common vendor...

#88 5 years ago

Living in Canada, I am jealous of pinside prices. Most titles up here are a rip off when compared to recent pinside sales.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That IS hilarious, considering that over there, you're not allowed to call someone out for selling dirty busted used parts for more than you can get for brand new from a common vendor...

Klov is why I am here more and created "Midwest Arcade and Pinball collecting" group on Facebook.

All positive energy............Enjoy it! - Brody Stevens

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

I feel like I keep seeing sale threads on this board which seem ridiculously high for a machine and then immediately after people will post how they think it's a cheap price and they wish they were closer. The machine will then sit at that price for a few weeks and sometimes longer until they eventually get sold. If you do a quick comparison of the prices listed in these threads compared to pinpedia or bostonpinball, they're 20% + higher. I wish that sellers would be required to list the actual sale price of the machine in the thread so I could get a better feel of what is occurring. I just can't believe that some people are paying crazy money for some B titles.
    I understand the whole concept of a machine having higher value if it is shopped, LEDd and condition condition condition. I just wish there was more price transparency in the hobby and since pinpedia and bostonpinball use actual completed sales, how the pinside prices could be so much higher.

quite true, but trends starts here. Remember a year ago? exactly? Some joe started a ironman lovefest thread and every owners jumped in to pump and dump theirs and prices soared to 5K for a relatively marginally wanted game. They shure created a Frenzy.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Living in Canada, I am jealous of pinside prices. Most titles up here are a rip off when compared to recent pinside sales.

there is a pump and dump market currently going in Canada... Just way for the crash down.

#92 5 years ago

I'd sell my TOTAN for the CRAZY price of 6k!@!!

#93 5 years ago

People should list their machines for whatever they want. If someone is willing to pay the seller’s price what does it matter to you? In my experience, people only bitch about pricing when they are looking to buy a game they can’t afford. However, many of these same people are quick to list their machines at top dollar when the shoe is on the other foot. It's simple; if you don't like the price don't buy it. Offer the seller less and maybe he/she will take it. If he/she doesn't bit then move on; clearly you don't want the game as much as the seller does.

Personally, I don’t care what anybody buys/sells their games for. I’m only worried about my own transactions.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If you pay attention at all, like Gweem said, prices are and have been dropping across the board for a while now and noticeably since the announcement of MMr.

Indeed, and generally games also seem to be sitting longer unsold.

More likely to see a reduction or two along the way now vs. before.

#96 5 years ago

I wonder how much of this is self-fulfilling prophecy. If a critical mass of people on Pinside say that prices are getting lower, then both buyers and sellers might well factor that opinion into their expectations. This is a market, after all, and the Pinside forums surely exercise some influence over at least this segment of that market (the pins offered for sale on Pinside).

#97 5 years ago

er, anyone want my sweet T2 for $3k?

Picture 028.jpg
    #98 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

er, anyone want my sweet T2 for $3k?

Trust me, no one does. Maybe 2500 if you're lucky due to that sweet hunter ship mod since that definitely adds 1k to the price

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Maybe 2500 if you're lucky

....but I have all the MODS

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

....but I have all the MODS

I don't see the new eyes for the skull. That knocks it down about 1k.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 179.99
    $ 18.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.99
    There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside