(Topic ID: 78858)

Are people really paying the crazy high prices seen on pinside?

By Deez

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 279 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by karmalord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-7.jpeg
    t2 a.JPG
    Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 10 years ago

I feel like I keep seeing sale threads on this board which seem ridiculously high for a machine and then immediately after people will post how they think it's a cheap price and they wish they were closer. The machine will then sit at that price for a few weeks and sometimes longer until they eventually get sold. If you do a quick comparison of the prices listed in these threads compared to pinpedia or bostonpinball, they're 20% + higher. I wish that sellers would be required to list the actual sale price of the machine in the thread so I could get a better feel of what is occurring. I just can't believe that some people are paying crazy money for some B titles.

I understand the whole concept of a machine having higher value if it is shopped, LEDd and condition condition condition. I just wish there was more price transparency in the hobby and since pinpedia and bostonpinball use actual completed sales, how the pinside prices could be so much higher.

#2 10 years ago

So my roadshow for 4k and BSD for 4k is on target???

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

So my roadshow for 4k and BSD for 4k is on target???

Very high for those titles.

If your gonna mod up your machine, very rarely do you get that money back except on maybe 4-6 of the top titles.

Quoted from Deez:I understand the whole concept of a machine having higher value if it is shopped, LEDd and condition condition condition.

#4 10 years ago

Apparently the Mr. Pinball Price Guide would be a good starting point for value. The online version can be found here:

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/pinlist_info.html

The site looks a little sketchy (a domain is all of $6 these days?) but looking around most folks seem to think it's a good thing to have, at least for a starting reference.

#5 10 years ago

They probably have them for sale on other sites and they might sell to someone who doesn't know any better. I try hard not to say anything but some are just so badly overpriced I make an ass out of myself and say something. I was just about to comment on a FS thread but nothing good comes from it. They will start lowering the price if it doesn't sell or they will keep it.

On Klov is an "Overpriced game thread" that has some funny stuff. I don't think a thread like that on pinside will last long here.

I see flippers on this site trying to make $1k+ flipping and are complete jokes but some really nice flippers who are happy with the $200 profit and seem to be good people. (You know who you are)

#6 10 years ago

Most sales you see are linked directly to EBay and that's something most Pinsiders steer clear from. The one that amazes me the most is FUN and their outrageous price points. You spot them by the black and white checkered floor with staircase .They usually ask about double of what the machine normally sells for. Amazing is the fact they do well as they have been listing like this for quite some time.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Very high for those titles.
    If your gonna mod up your machine, very rarely do you get that money back except on maybe 4-6 of the top titles.

Sorry was being sarcastic but they are both folded up in the garage with no spots left for them in the game room so if someone offered 4k I would think of selling one.....Don't want to get rid of either of them!!!!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Sorry was being sarcastic but they are both folded up in the garage with no spots left for them in the game room so if someone offered 4k I would think of selling one....

Don't sell BSD. I did and I regret it now. Wish she was back with me!

#9 10 years ago

If a collector wants collector gets my b pin may not be a b to someone else.pins are going up in value.the more collectors there are the more demand this site is FKN awesome

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

The one that amazes me the most is FUN and their outrageous price points. You spot them by the black and white checkered floor with staircase .They usually ask about double of what the machine normally sells for. Amazing is the fact they do well as they have been listing like this for quite some time.

I've noticed the same thing about these guys. There was a thread that got buried recently about an upcoming Texas Pinball Auction. After looking at the pics of the listings, it looks like the same guys with the checkered floor. Also charging 15% "internet premium" plus tax (and shipping?) for the auction?? Come on. Crazy stuff indeed.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-auction-march-29th-live-and-online-bidding

#11 10 years ago

I'm happy more and more collectors are coming to the hobby. I enjoy seeing the influx of on location pins. I also understand the economics of limited supply with increasing demand causing scarcity. I just don't understand the price separation between the price guides and pinside asking prices. Supposedly they're completed Ebay sales etc.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

feel like I keep seeing sale threads on this board which seem ridiculously high for a machine and then immediately after people will post how they think it's a cheap price and they wish they were closer.

People in California usually say that because everything needs to be shipped in; and when games were $1500 shipping was a really big expense.

So not many games came to Cali then...so now it's really a sellers market here...then people in other parts of the country raise their prices because they see what people in Cali are spending, then the prices in Cali go even higher...cause shipping just went up too.

It's a circle, fed by new prices of 6 to 8k.

Your comment/question is common by people that live back east where there are a whole lot of machines, you can usually drive to get.

Robert

#13 10 years ago

Slightly off topic, but having a checkered floor = no taste at all.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

People in California usually say that because everything needs to be shipped in; and when games were $1500 shipping was a really big expense.
    So not many games came to Cali then...so now it's really a sellers market here...then people in other parts of the country raise their prices because they see what people in Cali are spending, then the prices in Cali go even higher...cause shipping just went up too.
    Your comment/question is common by people that live back east where there are a whole lot of machines, you can usually drive to get.
    Robert

Agreed for the most part. But there are a CRAP TON of machines here in N. CA (PAGG attests to this), but not many for sale.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I feel like I keep seeing sale threads on this board which seem ridiculously high for a machine and then immediately after people will post how they think it's a cheap price and they wish they were closer. The machine will then sit at that price for a few weeks and sometimes longer until they eventually get sold. If you do a quick comparison of the prices listed in these threads compared to pinpedia or bostonpinball, they're 20% + higher. I wish that sellers would be required to list the actual sale price of the machine in the thread so I could get a better feel of what is occurring. I just can't believe that some people are paying crazy money for some B titles.
    I understand the whole concept of a machine having higher value if it is shopped, LEDd and condition condition condition. I just wish there was more price transparency in the hobby and since pinpedia and bostonpinball use actual completed sales, how the pinside prices could be so much higher.

can you list some examples of games you think were overpriced where people were posting that it was cheap?

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

can you list some examples of games you think were overpriced where people were posting that it was cheap?

That would start a Sh*% storm. I have 2 I could post. They stick out on marketplace and thread.

#17 10 years ago

There also have been some very good prices listed on Pinside, so it's not entirely one sided.

#18 10 years ago

I put 2 games up for sale a couple of weeks ago on the forum only. Both games have gotten great feedback and one of them sold in about 12 days. I got a bunch of cash offers on the one I sold but no trades. The other game I haven't gotten any cash offers on, just a couple of trade offers. I think both games are priced very reasonably but one sold fast and the other no cash offers still sitting? I guess having the right game at the right time.

#19 10 years ago

Every game I've ever sold via pinside has sold in less than 24 hours.

I suck at pricing.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

You are right about living in the east. I think we're in the best spot of the country for buying/selling/trading. I've bought or sold within 6 hours drive of my house. Makes for some nice day trips.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm not here to crap on peoples for sale threads. I'm just trying to see the separation between pinside pricing and the price guides. I'm sure everyone has seen examples of this occurring on this site.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm not here to crap on peoples for sale threads. I'm just trying to see the separation between pinside pricing and the price guides. I'm sure everyone has seen examples of this occurring on this site.

Price pumping happens all of the time on here. I don't call it out because Im not a fan of shitting on for sale threads, and it's not usually the fault of the seller when it happens. So I prefer not to get into third party arguments that just mess up their thread. But it's bullshit.

#23 10 years ago

Most items I've seen sell have been "reasonable" by Pinside standards. If you are looking to buy a pin for a fair price on Pinside or ebay, you are probably looking in the wrong place.

#24 10 years ago

so you guys want to whine about a supposed problem but refuse to cite examples. how are people supposed to engage in this conversation?

#25 10 years ago

Do your homework

#26 10 years ago

Wish I was closer!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I think price guides are good with negotiations with "non collectors." You just take the published book and say "hey look at this, that pin isnt worth $5k its worth $3.5k. Some people may bite and accept the book. So you pay $25 for a book to get you $1k off on pin. I don't have a price guide but may purchase in the future.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

so you guys want to whine about a supposed problem but refuse to cite examples. how are people supposed to engage in this conversation?

Recent examples of over priced games in N. CA

Williams Indiana Jones, 12k

EATPM, 5k

Bally Lost World, 3k

Stern Indiana Jones, 5.4k

TFTC, 2.5k

A13, 3.2k

(really, just open up craigslist, search for pinball. Most of the games are sky high asking prices.)

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Quoted from pezpunk:

We are having the conversation just fine without throwing someone under a bus.

#30 10 years ago

Its the same old thing. You can ASK any price you want but I'll guarantee you that they got knocked down $100-$500 per game. I think people list higher asking prices knowing they are gonna have to come down at some point. And just because people say "great price, wish I was closer"....doesn't mean gosh darn thing. Talk is cheap. I'll just end this here.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek ,Mi
    269-979-3836

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Slightly off topic, but having a checkered floor = no taste at all.

What are you implying... That's it I'm walking out of this thread

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Whenever you see Teekee post something in a thread. Just disregard it. Then go back and reevaluate each thread, and it won't be so justified.

#33 10 years ago

Anyone who wants to see it is welcome to go back and look at the X-men for sale threads when the price was plummeting long ago. Im not going to bother doing it. But it was like watching Randolph and Mortimer at the end of Trading Places.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Whenever you see Teekee post something in a thread. Just disregard it

But TEEKEE just posted that you were a pinball GOD! in another thread.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

But TEEKEE just posted that you were a pinball GOD! in another thread.

This just goes to show, that he's never been to a pinball tournament in his life.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You said it yourself "condition, condition, condition".

Those price guides....do they list the condition? No. Plus they are generally not tracking a ton of sales. I mean how many pins of a particular title sell on eBay in one year.....6? maybe double that tops. That's not a ton especially if you don't know the condition.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm not complaining about a problem. I'm curious if people are really paying the asking prices on pinside that exceed the price guide prices which are supposedly based upon real sale data.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm just trying to see the separation between pinside pricing and the price guides.

A seller can ask for whatever price he/she wants on a machine. It's only worth what someone pays for it, not what a guide (comprised of unknown machines, sources, etc) says. If the seller's price is too high, it will remain for sale until the right buyer comes along or the price is lowered and then bought. The seller's price may be a no-pressure "This is what it will take to buy this machine from me" or a rushed "I don't have the mortgage payment for next month, I need to sell this to cover it!" If it's more the latter, the price typically comes down quicker

The funny thing about guides and values is, when Joe Pinsider wants a Williams Indiana Jones he'll be sure to tell every seller asking $5k+ that he's seen them listed for $4k. But when Joe Pinsider finds an Indiana Jones listed on Craigslist by an unaware seller, he doesn't even think of mentioning $4k. Better yet, after he plays the game for 2 months and puts a couple $50 mods and trinkets on it, he puts it up for sale for $5k+

#39 10 years ago

It happens all the time on here where the seller gets all their buddies together to say ridiculous things on overpriced junk. Great price! GLWS! Wish I was closer! There are a few cliques on Pinside that pump each other up.

Then, if you say something realistic like the description is not entirely accurate, or you believe the price is out of line, the same mob that was pumping the price unleashes on you.

Quoted from sammiesguys:

Price pumping happens all of the time on here. I don't call it out because Im not a fan of shitting on for sale threads, and it's not usually the fault of the seller when it happens.

#40 10 years ago

if a game has a balls deep restoration (not a shop job but a real restoration) or HUO with all original cabinet. The price tends to be double of what it normally sells for. This has always been the case in pinball. Even back in the day when machines were reasonable.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You said it yourself "condition, condition, condition".
    Those price guides....do they list the condition? No. Plus they are generally not tracking a ton of sales. I mean how many pins of a particular title sell on eBay in one year.....6? maybe double that tops. That's not a ton especially if you don't know the condition.

There's your answer Dirk. Pinside prices are spot-on and all the price guides are too low.
    Next topic please!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if a game has a balls deep restoration (not a shop job but a real restoration) or HUO with all original cabinet. The price tends to be double of what it normally sells for. This has always been the case in pinball. Even back in the day when machines were reasonable.

Yes exactly. I do not pay attention to price books because of the variance involved. If I want to know a true current value I look it up on comparison website to see what is currently available for sale and what condition it is in. Or what is my replacement cost? Another thing to consider is location. California seems to be the highest priced market while Oregon, Texas, Florida and Illinois seem to be priced lower and more competitive. Areas like Utah and Wyoming are the black holes of pinball with no inventory and very few listings. It is all about supply and demand-but where is the supply and where is the demand. As far as examples go how about fully restored Wh20 for $8k or even the current TSPP HUO low play for $4600. To a serious collector these machines are a great value and are worth the extra money. It is difficult to put a valuation on some restorations and modifications or low number plays but like everyone around here says " The true value of what something is worth is what someone is willing spend."

#43 10 years ago

Is my Tommy for $2200 obo too high? Cause I am not getting crap on it. What are Tommys going for? Mr Pinball says $2750 this year so I thought I was pricing it fairly.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if a game has a balls deep restoration

This is the only depth I ever go.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

The pricing guides are generally bad because they take a 5 year average. Prices are what they're worth now. It doesn't matter that Johnny Mnemonic was $900 in 2009 or not. That's no where near where its at now. So to average in $900 sales beings the price down a lot. The same will be said when / if prices take a down turn. The boston pinball ytd column is the only reliable one in my opinion.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Is my Tommy for $2200 obo too high?

Pinpedia says 1100-2300. I don't know how much one is worth other than what the price guide says and how much money I have in my pocket and how close I am.

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/857

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

Is my Tommy for $2200 obo too high? Cause I am not getting crap on it. What are Tommys going for? Mr Pinball says $2750 this year so I thought I was pricing it fairly.

For a very long time Tommy was a 1400-1700 game, then it started to creep into the low 2's. Things are starting to settle back down again, and creeping back down to pricing from 2-3 years ago. Having playfield wear right in front of the flippers and the blinders not working are keeping you away from a lot of Pinside buyers. A lot of buyers on Pinside want pretty and functional and are willing to pay for that. That aren't necessarily your "wrench turners".

$2k is pretty much the sweet spot for easy sales. Once a machine climbs over $2k, people start to scrutinize a lot more what they are getting for their money.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Pinpedia says 1100-2300. I don't know how much one is worth other than what the price guide says and how much money I have in my pocket and how close I am.
    http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/857

You just proved the point that price guides are worthless. I will take a Tommy for those prices unless it is a complete routed turd? I have seen nice Tommy's going for $3000-$4000. If I can get a decent Tommy for $2300-I will take five of them.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Areas like Utah and Wyoming are the black holes of pinball with no inventory and very few listings.

Hey, now. There is pinball down here in the black hole

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

For a very long time Tommy was a 1400-1700 game, then it started to creep into the low 2's. Things are starting to settle back down again, and creeping back down to pricing from 2-3 years ago. Having playfield wear right in front of the flippers and the blinders not working are keeping you away from a lot of Pinside buyers. A lot of buyers on Pinside want pretty and functional and are willing to pay for that. That aren't necessarily your "wrench turners".
    $2k is pretty much the sweet spot for easy sales. Once a machine climbs over $2k, people start to scrutinize a lot more what they are getting for their money.

Those damn blinders! At least with mine the mechs and blinders are all there. I agree though people want to just play and not worry about games. Whenever I get a game they are beat for the most part, the only game I ever got that didn't need an immediate shop job was my Johnny Mnemonic. Tommy does play well though, the wear above the flippers really isn't significant, in fact I noticed it when I was posting the pics not before. I just hate selling games, the absolute worst part of this hobby in my opinion.

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-really-paying-the-crazy-high-prices-seen-on-pinside/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.