(Topic ID: 75713)

Are people passing on pre-order pins such as TBL, Hobbit, MMR etc.?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Noface
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider unigroove.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 10 years ago

The only game I ever pre-ordered and paid for was Big Bang Bar. Even then I talked to Gene Cunningham about his plans, and how realistic it all was, before I committed and send in my money. I even helped out in the pre-production of the game to make it happen.

BBB obviously had a certain status, which made me want to own one. I can't say that for any of the titles that showed up after that had that status, so I didn't pre-order. That being said I wish all upstarting efforts all the best and hope they will succeed as it will make pinball in general more interesting and fun. We've seen what happens when there is no competition around.

I am slightly tempted to pre-order TBL, because I see the potential and really would like to see DP pull this off and raise the bar for some of the other manufacturers out there.

#49 10 years ago

I don't know the inside details, but:

MMr = Planetary = inhouse B/W parts
    TBL = DP = order all B/W parts from Planetary + ship them to Europe for assembly. They may get a discount, but obviously there are extra expenses which end up in the price tag.

Plus that the 8.5K for MMr seems to me more like a "what we can get away with" price, while 8.5K for TBL may actually be a lot more closer to the actual costs. So what's the point about complaining about this 8.5K if it is close to the actual costs. Obviously they're not likely to do it cheaper.

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

I read a post stating that the $7-8k range was the commonly accepted price for a pin, and there was no reason why Dutch Pinball should sell TBL for less than that

While I do believe this to be true for most Stern LE's / Premiums and MMr, we'll still have to see a playfield design for TBL, as well as all the technical innovations they are supposed to put in the game. So this sound a little premature to me. DP's pricepoint is most likely subject to the US$ / Euro exchange rate, which simply is not very favorable when you live in the US. Add to that the costs (plus additional shipping and import costs) for parts and their price point starts to make more and more sense. It may still be out of your comfort zone, but that doesn't mean they are making the profits some are suggesting. That being said I wouldn't mind if the game was 2K cheaper, but if that means it will be less cutting edge, would you rather see that? Then they might as well do a stripped down Pro version and most will then prefer the 8.5K LE...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider unigroove.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-passing-on-pre-order-pins-such-as-tbl-hobbit-mmr-etc?tu=unigroove and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.