(Topic ID: 75713)

Are people passing on pre-order pins such as TBL, Hobbit, MMR etc.?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Noface
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider absocountry2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Pre-orders are enabling an endless chain of half-baked machines. Eventually one of the upstarts is going to sink and take your cash with them. In all the hobbies I've been involved with, I've never seen such a screwball mentality of throwing money in a rush to the next great unknown.
    Let them earn your money.

Well said, I do not want anyone to loose money but it is a small hobby and we will find the right amount of manufactures. The best will survive and we will have better machines in the end. Even JJP is finding out how hard code can be. They did take on a lot of extra code work with the display.

I used to say $5 was all I would spend on pinball until I was able to pay in small amounts with WOZ and it was a gift for my retirement. It convinced me to preorder and spend more. I am not spending that much on this hobby again. Still not sure if I am keeping WOZ and I hate to sell stuff. Basically I am not preordering another pin until they cost less than $5k and then I will just wait until it is out and pay cash. There have been far to many games that I loved the theme and hate the game. I hated WWF but love my WWF pin.

No preorders and cost has priced me out. I refuse to spend more on my pins than I do for three airplanes.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

How reliable and expensive is freight to your part of the world?
    Nib isn't an option for me even if we do away with the biggest hurdle being price. Theme isn't a big deal and won't sway me in 99.99% cases and I'm not savvy enough to work out if I'll like or love a game based on play field layout pictures.

One of my friends just received his WOZ. Shipping was almost $900. Not bad considering the distance, but more than half the pins in my collection.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Pins are no longer limited and the market is definitely saturated so it is foolish to preorder IMO. WoZ is a great example. No benefit whatsoever to preording it. Now you can get them for basically the same money and didn't have to wait 2-3 years. Plus most of the bugs worked out. Of course I was telling everyone that 2 years ago...
    MMR will be the same way. The smart thing to do will be to wait. Play it and if you really want it buy an HUO and save a grand.
    If someone actually makes a LIMITED pin in the future (200-300 max) then preordering is fine otherwise wait.

You are correct on most points but even 2500 is a small number when talking about manufacturing numbers. I don't mean pins are limited as in edition types.

I do not agree that you can get a WOZLE for basically the same price. They were 6500 until June 30, 2011and 7500 is the HUO price right now on it. $1000 is more than 10% and that is a fair amount even on 7500. Yes there are ways to make that much on 6500 while waiting but most of the people would not do that, they will buy something else to wait.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

A lot of people preordered for $7500

I would not call 200 out of 1000 a lot. There were ~800 sold at 6500 June 30, 2011 and before. I would agree the advantages of ordering after June 30, 2011 are not great. I think that was the last day any preorders made sense in pinball. That is the day any advantage of preordering died for me.

I do see the advantage of getting in on a preorder to get a specific title, but I do not have the cash to order every new pin.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider absocountry2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-passing-on-pre-order-pins-such-as-tbl-hobbit-mmr-etc?tu=absocountry2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.