(Topic ID: 345537)

Are people holding on? Or getting out of pinball?

By Letsgofishing40

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 260 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Kkoss24
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-10-27 114022 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231027_082837_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9213 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5438 (resized).jpeg
vf3 (resized).jpg
im-all-in-poker.gif
W9Ux (resized).png
giphy-5.gif
33210853-c8b4-4e37-90d9-a451317d34d2_text.gif
200w-2.gif
deal.gif
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out.gif
IMG_0848.gif
were-all-in-lfqixi (resized).jpg

There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 4 months ago

I’m curious how many people are holding on, or even looking to get out of this pinball hobby and sell their games. Sure there are ups and downs in this hobby. But is there something bigger happening here? Are many of us selling and getting out?

#2 4 months ago

Why would people want to get out? Price? If they’re in they’re already in methinks

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from Letsgofishing40:

I’m curious how many people are holding on, or even looking to get out of this pinball hobby and sell their games. Sure there are ups and downs in this hobby. But is there something bigger happening here? Are many of us selling and getting out?

???

Get OUT before it's too late! The hobby is doomed!
RUN FOR THE HILLS!

#4 4 months ago

I've been in this hobby for decades at this point. I'll be riding this out till I die. There will be no liquidations of my games until I'm gone.

#5 4 months ago
were-all-in-lfqixi (resized).jpgwere-all-in-lfqixi (resized).jpg
#6 4 months ago

I think those that are in the hobby as a way of making money or to allow their money to hold value may be getting out, but those of us here because we love pinball, we are here to stay.

#7 4 months ago

If divorces and having pinball machines in the kitchen and the bathroom doesn’t stop people, then no amount of market movement will scare them now!!

#8 4 months ago

It’s over

Rats fleeing sinking ships

Everybody hates pinball now

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

I think those that are in the hobby as a way of making money or to allow their money to hold value may be getting out, but those of us here because we love pinball, we are here to stay.

Exactly this.

Maybe we will not be buying as many NIBs but we are still in. We love pinball. Families that play together, stay together.

#10 4 months ago

Still in, but I get the question. Hard goods are a good investment when inflation is out of control. My kid’s college years are still being paid for by my collection.

As long as he goes! Haha

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Honch:

I've been in this hobby for decades at this point. I'll be riding this out till I die. There will be no liquidations of my games until I'm gone.

Ride or die

#12 4 months ago

Firmly entrenched. 6 pins in two years (5 LEs and a Skateball!)

I have a serious tourney bug right now after going to my second Super Series at D82 and want to continue trying to get better and earn some hardware.

Definitely found my end of days hobby.

#13 4 months ago

While pinball can be an investment at times I can safely say most of us are here simply because we love pinball!

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

IMG_0848.gifIMG_0848.gif
#15 4 months ago

I'm just getting started.

Besides, what's better than ordering a pizza and playing some pinball?

Best hobby in the world.

#16 4 months ago

I think it depends what were your reasons/motivations/intentions to collect pinball machines when you joined this hobby.

For me it was all about fun and I could not care less about the resell value. More than 10 years after what changed ? Nothing. I'm beeing honest here, even if my pins worth was absolutely nothing I would be satisfied. It's my mental freedom and the hobby I use to have a good time.

I choose my titles carefuly and play them as often I can.

You don't need to own 20 pins to be happy, in fact I challenge anybody to proove me they have more fun than I do playing my small collection.

#17 4 months ago

I am doubling down.

Just bought MM royal and about to order stranger things.

Have room for another 3 or so after that.

Not in this to make money.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from KrisGonzo:

I'm just getting started.
Besides, what's better than ordering a pizza and playing some pinball?
Best hobby in the world.

Drinking Beer and playing pinball

#19 4 months ago

60 pins through by basement in 5 years. I've picked up last pins 3 times. 2 were estate sales, ine.was a divorce.

Nobody is bailing, but there is a race to the bottom in the secondary market to free up cash for the next NIB.

Added 127 days ago:

Edit: One was a divorce.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

I think those that are in the hobby as a way of making money or to allow their money to hold value may be getting out.

GOOD!

This hobby is awesome because of engineers and tinkerers and restorers.

#21 4 months ago

I haven't really noticed a mass sell-off of games this past year.

Although I have noticed asking prices going down on a lot of titles across the board. That mostly seems to be people selling off older titles in their collection to fund newer purchases. It's not a pinball desert like the last few years--there are more games available both NIB and on the used market, and that's probably driving prices down a bit since buyers have options now.

Also, the collectibles market in general is down somewhat compared to last year, but people are still going nuts over the really exceptional and rare stuff.

I don't anticipate liquidating my collection any time soon. I'll probably do the usual fix & flip on a few older games like I do every year, then probably pick up other titles I have my eye on when the price is right.

#22 4 months ago

I don't think people are getting out as much as new people aren't coming in. Prices and demand have seemed to have been on the decline recently, probably because fewer and fewer people who have played pinball or even know what a pinball machine is are entering. Millennials are probably the last generation of people that remember seeing pins regularly in the wild and they are a group entering their peak earning years right now. This tells me there isn't enough people or money to sustain the hobby with where it has been in recent years. Combination of high inflation, COVID free money being gone, student loans repayments resuming, and record consumer debt isn't helping new blood enter the hobby either. Just my 2-cents.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't anticipate liquidating my collection any time soon. I'll probably do the usual fix & flip on a few older games like I do every year, then probably pick up other titles I have my eye on when the price is right.

Same here

#24 4 months ago

I'm looking forward to the buyers market and being able to get affordable games again. Last few years I was mostly on the sideline.

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm looking forward to the buyers market and being able to get affordable games again. Last few years I was mostly on the sideline.

Same. I've had the money to buy a pin for a while now, but it was always hard to justify $5000 on a game that went for $2500-3000 just a couple years prior. It was pretty demoralizing for someone who was just trying to own their first modern pin. Prices are finally coming down on a lot of stuff, but now I have a new obstacle to contend with; my wife not wanting me to drop 5k-8k on a machine or two lol

#26 4 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

with inflation and the weak dollar ( getting weaker) I dont see that happening.

#27 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I mean it's happening, prices are down compared to a year ago and the pinflation post covid. Lot of deals, folks have to be competitive, tons of new pins coming out more than ever, larger production runs, it just means that prices have to come down essentially for lot of games, and those with the cash are gonna benefit. Thing with inflation and such, it doesn't affect everyone equally.

#28 4 months ago

In pinball u till I can do it anymore or too old too lift them lol

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

The pin marketplace says otherwise. Tons of well priced machines that sit for weeks or months and require several decent price drops to finally get a buyer. Inflation has made people focus on more of what they need rather than what they want. Pins and other collectables are firmly in the Want category and most of these seem to be dipping in value and demand as of the last 6 months or so.

#30 4 months ago

Now that the flippers are out it’s a good place to be again

#31 4 months ago

Pinball as a collectable hobby is mostly over. Pinball for players and fun is not over, but will slow down. The crazy high allotments of the LE’s to 1000, CE’s to 1000, coupled with the constant LE re-releases has completely broken the trust between the collector and the manufacturers. That is non-recoverable. Pro sales and premium sales will do better but ultimately will decline as well. When people have to take a big loss on the resale of there machines it’s bound to effect the NIB sales as a well. Most collectors I know have moved onto watches and other items where the manufacturers understand how to treat there customers and second hand market.

#32 4 months ago
Quoted from Wiggles:

but now I have a new obstacle to contend with; my wife not wanting me to drop 5k-8k on a machine or two lol

Well remember the oldest trick in the book here, over-negotiate: tell her you really really want a Premium at 9600, and "let" her talk you down to "settle" for a Pro.

#33 4 months ago

I have noticed our prices up here dropping faster then yours.

If I was 'one of you', anywhere close to a border, I'd be looking up this way, especially since your dollar is worth $1.35 right now. My buddy went to Expo, and with the banks highway robbery fee, it cost him $1.41 CDN for each US dollar.

EDIT: here is my buddies DE Simpsons. $4200 asking is just over $3000 for you. [and to toot his horn a little, he does good work]
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/321793903880555/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Abc4069a6-2b48-4d48-b187-5a3a3d62eebf

#34 4 months ago

Problem for the industry atm is not people getting out and liquidating, but not enough new blood coming in to absorb the ridiculous volume of new games being produced.

#35 4 months ago

Also if the market gets funky the opportunity to trade becomes more appealing.

I guess it depends if you are looking at this as a money making proposition or something to have fun.

#36 4 months ago
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out.gifjust-when-i-thought-i-was-out.gif
#37 4 months ago

My non pinball friends wish I would get out, but it's just too much damn fun !

deal.gifdeal.gif
#38 4 months ago

There was a long stretch where you could buy something, play it, and pass it along, while breaking even or even making money... those days are done. With the pinball market currently adjusting and prices dropping (as they should be), it will impact how I collect, but it will not get me out of the hobby. I have been in this hobby for 20+ years and love it. I didn't get into it to make money, that is what I have a job for.

#39 4 months ago

Think it depends where you are in your hobby. Personally I have a set collection that I can’t ever see myself selling of course there are a few games here and there I would love to add but who know if and when that would happen. Also depends if you are a modern pinball person and have to have all the new ones that come out or if you collect from a specific era

#40 4 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Good. Good riddance to those turds.

#41 4 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I am doubling down.
Just bought MM royal and about to order stranger things.
Have room for another 3 or so after that.
Not in this to make money.

You’re always doubling down. Your whole house is a Dave And Busters… I’m jealous.

#42 4 months ago

I have games I never plan on selling. I do rotate but not frequently. I'm at the point something must go out before something comes in. My wife doesn't want another game in the dinning room.

Cheers

#43 4 months ago

I pulled out of two NIB purchases this year. I’ve switched back to doing restorations and WPC scratch builds until the market calms down one way or another. Things just feel “wrong” right now.

I’m happy with what I have, and we plan to use the NIB pinball budget for financial investments for the next couple years instead.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from AFM95:

You’re always doubling down. Your whole house is a Dave And Busters… I’m jealous.

My wife would like me to stop doubling down!

#45 4 months ago

Still in. I just put a bond LE in my bug out cabin. Ive got 200lbs of freeze dried mac n cheese stored underneath it.

#46 4 months ago
Quoted from Letsgofishing40:

I got into the hobby when losing money on a new game was the norm.

On many of the older games, prices would still need to drop ~50% to get back to just early 2015 prices when I joined.

Anyone that thinks the sky is falling must've gotten into the hobby within the last 3 years (referencing your join date).

If I had room, I'd still be buying additional games. Unfortunately the case for many of us these days, so many games are just up for sale to make room for the deluge of new games that came out in the last year (unusual influx), or to change it up.

Indeed, other factors affecting all luxury/collector markets now, but pinball is doing fine in the grand scheme.

#47 4 months ago

Don't ask my wife they all would be gone lol NOT

#48 4 months ago

I’m a life-long gamer of all video games, arcade games, and pinball. There’s no getting out; you may as well ask if I will stop breathing.

#49 4 months ago

I'm at the point where 5-6 is my limit for the space I have. I want to have 3-4 keepers and a few machines to rotate in and out. So I'm one in one out at this point.

#50 4 months ago

I am holding on to my collection. There would be a big void in the basement, and I would miss looking at them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 10.00
$ 125.00
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 260 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-holding-on-or-getting-out-of-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.