(Topic ID: 19804)

Are people getting too uptight over Pinball?

By jimjim66

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

someone_is_wrong_internet.png
    720a4c46.jpg
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Just posted this in another forum topic- thought about it and realized maybe it has been getting this way.

I have seen people in the hobby really getting upset lately. It seems there is a lot of polarization in pinball lately. For Example:

LED vs Incandescent, Stern vs JJP, RGP vs Pinside, Price Police vs Price Cheerleaders, WOZ vs AC/DC, Invisiglass vs PDI glass, Restored vs original, New technology vs Old technology, Veterans vs Newbs, etc.... (I can think of many more.)

It really is getting hard to have any discussion without pissing somebody off.

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Yep. I guess that's what happens as pinball as a hobby gets more popular and as the entry fee goes up (pin prices escalating).

By the way, I like price cheerleaders better than the price police.

#3 11 years ago

This thread pisses me off!

#4 11 years ago

I agree with just about everything you state in your post. But, if we all settled our differences on the above items, we would find something new to argue about within 24 hours.

Tom

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

I agree with just about everything you state in your post. But, if we all settled our differences on the above items, we would find something new to argue about within 24 hours.

Tom

I don't think any of those things will be or should be settled as they are opinions. It is just people are really not debating or discussing stuff, they are getting pissed off. I saw heated arguments a month ago on how people were rating machines for the top 100 list.

Not just differences in opinion, but people calling people out. Can't be good for the hobby. I just picture the rumble scene from Anchor Man happening at the next convention between DMD vs LCD.

#6 11 years ago

Yeah, I admit, I get too worked up when discussing things online. I gotta just spend more time playing pinball and working behind the scenes.

#7 11 years ago

it has gotten a bit crazy as of late. we all need to remember what really matters,we all love pinball.
    great thread btw.

#8 11 years ago

I'm pretty new to the "scene" of pinball and I noticed a lot of the same. But it doesnt differ much from other online forums. Some people post things specifically to piss people off. Others get overly upset over that and its a snowball effect from there.

Relax! Play Pins! Drink Beer. Repeat.

#9 11 years ago

Yep, it seems like a battle on every thread. I would never cause a thread to go sideways. We all know it's Obama's fault that we are all stressed out. That's just a fact. Get Romney or Ron Paul in office or put the Pope in charge and all of our pinball discussions will be happy again.

Sorry, I could not help myself...

#10 11 years ago

like Rudy says: it's only pinball !

#11 11 years ago

On the one hand yes, people are getting way too uptight and need to remember they are talking to other people who share the same basic interest. There seems to be a big lack of respect and basic courtesy lately.

On the other hand, it does show how passionate we all are about our hobby. We just need to remember to show it without letting our blood pressure go up!

Peace, love, and pinball.

#12 11 years ago

What the f@ck do mean uptight!!!!

#13 11 years ago

Some people seem to take it as a personal offense if someone disagrees with them. It seems particularly pronounced in this hobby. I find it really disconcerting and it's prompted me to not participate as much as I'd like and keep a lower profile.

I blame a lot of this on the media, which seems to be turning people against each other if they disagree on various subjects. People don't seem to debate any more. They just call each other names if they disagree.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I don't think any of those things will be or should be settled as they are opinions. It is just people are really not debating or discussing stuff, they are getting pissed off. I saw heated arguments a month ago on how people were rating machines for the top 100 list.
    Not just differences in opinion, but people calling people out. Can't be good for the hobby. I just picture the rumble scene from Anchor Man happening at the next convention between DMD vs LCD.

For clarity, I don't think any of those things will be settled either. What I was trying to state was that this group will find something to argue (and get pissed off) about. Let's face it, we have a passionate hobby with differing opinions.

#16 11 years ago

Saw a thread were people were discussing black vs. white rubbers. Opinions were different. Debate escalated into personal attacks. Poster brings in the pin designer into the debate, and refers to him as a name that is offensive. The actual pin designer posts and puts poster in place. (How can you even debate the guy who made the machine?)

Both apologize, and I realize I just saw the biggest train wreck when the OP just wanted an opinion on White rubber vs. Black rubber.

Things are really getting contentious.

#17 11 years ago

Just wait until I get my XMen LE Magneto NIB and then get to jump into every thread, and start a few of my own, telling everyone how frickin awesome it is, best pin ever, people come to my place and spit on my old machines as they line up to play it, rate it a 10+, rag on anyone who says differently and let them know they know nothing, then sell it 3 weeks later.

Did I get that right?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Some people seem to take it as a personal offense if someone disagrees with them. It seems particularly pronounced in this hobby. I find it really disconcerting and it's prompted me to not participate as much as I'd like and keep a lower profile.
    I blame a lot of this on the media, which seems to be turning people against each other if they disagree on various subjects. People don't seem to debate any more. They just call each other names if they disagree.

+1000

God forbid people disagree with something and simply have intelligent conversation about something.

#19 11 years ago

@smokedog, you sir have a clear understanding of how this forum works. Bravo!!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Just wait until I get my XMen LE Magneto NIB and then get to jump into every thread, and start a few of my own, telling everyone how frickin awesome it is, best pin ever, people come to my place and spit on my old machines as they line up to play it, rate it a 10+, rag on anyone who says differently and let them know they know nothing, then sell it 3 weeks later.

Did I get that right?

Those fights coming up will be epic.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with that problem.

#22 11 years ago

It seems to be human nature to always find something to argue about... Maybe it's there to help progress the development of the human race... Like ideally an argument will put peoples views across and that might bring to light the best way of doing something, and then things get improved... And the more people you have with their own opinions, the more fuel there is for disagreements and therefore arguments to arise... Let's face it, there are many facets to pinball, so many areas for disagreements too... I bet you don't get as many arguements in the world of, say, stamp collecting because there's not that much to disagree on...

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Some people seem to take it as a personal offense if someone disagrees with them. It seems particularly pronounced in this hobby.

Seems to be par for the course for any topic in today's world.

People in general have lost the ability to understand that just because I might disagree with you or have another opinion, it's not a statement that I think you are stupid. Unfortunately, this seems to be where everything, pinball or what not, is headed.

#24 11 years ago

Natural Grass! / Artificial Turf!
    Tastes Great! / Less Filling!

People have a tendency to get wound up about anything on which they disagree. Hopefully people can realize that disagreement does not have to escalate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about any subject.

But yeah, it's surprising how nasty and personal some disagreements get. This seems to happen between otherwise reasonable prople.

So remember, don't post that nasty response. Just let it go.....
    And play some pinball.

#25 11 years ago

People are always belittling others its a E-Penis thing. Its sad because we do all share the same Hobby. Nothing is worse than saying well well well....hmpf Yo momma so fat...... What happens is people run out of a intelligent thing to say and resort to high school tactics. It happens allot and the Hobby has always been very clicky. Not just on the net but in person as well. God forbid i don't live in a 4 million dollar house and think MM is the shit you cant hang with me. I get that allot then i hear from a few of my nicer hobbyists friends i might live in a 4 million$ house but my shit still stinks.

There seems to be a line drawn in the sand on sections of this hobby.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Snowdale:

What the f@ck do mean uptight!!!!

How can you be uptight with that avatar pic.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Me too god dammit

#28 11 years ago

It's those damn RGPer's coming over here to Pinside causing all the trouble.

Sonsabitches, every damn one of them.

#29 11 years ago

Shazizzle.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Don't have to wait, "those fights" have been going here for months, just mention Woz and AC/DC in the same breath...oh and take cover!

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Come over to RGP and say that to my face b****

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

And those AH's who live in the big houses. They're the worst!!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Kumbaya MOTHER FU*****!!!

#34 11 years ago

720a4c46.jpg720a4c46.jpg

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

just picture the rumble scene from Anchor Man happening.....

"No commercials! No mercy!!!"

#36 11 years ago

Forums, birthplace of stupid arguments over stupid stuff. Welcome, enjoy!

#37 11 years ago

Pinball... makes you insane.

#38 11 years ago

As prices go up, folks will get more emotional. Now days to get a few A listers you need 15k + that just gets people a little edgy when they have that kind of cash wrapped up in something. Its the whole fear factor thing. You have a substantial portion of your personal saving tied up in these things and are ready to string up anyone that may say something that could effect their value.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Seriously true of any specialized interest forum I've ever been a part of, ever. And that's more than 3 of them.

#40 11 years ago

IMO, if you have hostility towards someone because they disagree with you on something, that's a sign you're "in too deep". If you get upset that someone thinks your brand of tennis shoes suck, you're taking tennis shoes too seriously.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I bet you don't get as many arguements in the world of, say, stamp collecting because there's not that much to disagree on..

OH ill bet its just as bad. How bout how to mount the stamps. do you use a hinge or a full slide in wrapper? What is the proper humidity at which to keep a unused stamp? Whats the best way to remove a stamp from an envelope? Should you even remove a stamp from an envelope?
    The surge in prices for black penny stamps is caused by noobs..

oh well, now ive done gone and pissed myself off

#42 11 years ago

I sure do see a lot of posts that feed the fires. I wish more of us could resist the urge to call an ass an ass. It would be great if the personal attack posts just withered and died from neglect. Maybe unrealistic to hope for, but it would be cool.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

OH ill bet its just as bad. How bout how to mount the stamps. do you use a hinge or a full slide in wrapper? What is the proper humidity at which to keep a unused stamp? Whats the best way to remove a stamp from an envelope? Should you even remove a stamp from an envelope?
    The surge in prices for black penny stamps is caused by noobs..
    oh well, now ive done gone and pissed myself off

LOL!

You don't use hemostats you use carbon fiber tweezers made in Germany.
    What a moron!

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Did I get that right?

Yes sir, Mr. Rose! wait....

#45 11 years ago

someone_is_wrong_internet.pngsomeone_is_wrong_internet.png

#46 11 years ago

I think some people are. I and the crew I deal with personally are pretty laid back too. these are games. Big expensive and heavy, but games all the same. These guys that get all pissed over some perceived wrong and leave the forum in a huff are just being silly in my mind.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

As prices go up, folks will get more emotional. Now days to get a few A listers you need 15k + that just gets people a little edgy when they have that kind of cash wrapped up in something. Its the whole fear factor thing. You have a substantial portion of your personal saving tied up in these things and are ready to string up anyone that may say something that could effect their value.

That's also a valid point!!

#48 11 years ago

Most of you people wanna spend 10k plus on a wood box that 2 months ago was worth 2k and your really stumped as to why you have poor social behavior?

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from chas010:

Most of you people wanna spend 10k plus on a wood box that 2 months ago was worth 2k and your really stumped as to why you have poor social behavior?

If it was just a wood box, 2 months ago I would have been pissed for the initial 2k spent.

#50 11 years ago

It is a wood box dood, with stickers. This is exactly why pinball enthusiast are stereotyped as the two guys from dumb and dumber on the moped.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-getting-too-uptight-over-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.