(Topic ID: 47035)

Are people burned out on WoZ... even before it has shipped?

By BC_Gambit

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

girl-says-talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emot.gif
Pippin_hobbit_feet_6.jpg
2.1.png
image.jpg
FMB.jpg
24609476.jpg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 11 years ago

Seems to be a similar kind of shenanigans to what created the rift between JJ and Stern in the first place.

From a little digging (and someone more familiar with the situation can clarify), it seems the first wedge was selling games to Costco for cheaper than they'd sell to him, despite him being the biggest volume dealer - making it so that Costco's retail price was basically his wholesale price. Second was continuously upping the cost of LOTR LE after orders had already been taken, essentially removing all profit were he to honor the original price. Third was cutting back his LOTR LE allotment despite the fact that he was the one that essentially got it going, so that he was forced to buy Canadian machines from Starburst (ones that nonetheless shipped directly from Stern) simply to fulfill his orders, which ended up creating entirely new headaches because they came with Canadian coin mechs.

Now, from reading the posts I'm not going to claim Jack handled all this as smoothly as he could have - I think he was genuinely ticked off at this point, and I'm sure folks like MrBally who were all over those threads will have their two cents - but it seems he was stuck between a rock and a hard place not actually of his doing. His most logical option was to simply cancel orders and sell what he could at the new price, but in the end he worked to honor prices and scrounge up machines... and got crucified for it.

#302 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The latest public code will be at allentown. Maybe i'll demo the updater as well.

Modes and jackpots yet?

#303 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm thinking JJ is doing backflips right now due to Stern stepping on his weiner and taking some of the negative focus away from him..

Really Ice ? Sterns sells out 500 LEs in a hour and Jack is doing backflips ? I doubt it .

#304 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Seems to be a similar kind of shenanigans to what created the rift between JJ and Stern in the first place.

From a little digging (and someone more familiar with the situation can clarify), it seems the first wedge was selling games to Costco for cheaper than they'd sell to him, despite him being the biggest volume dealer - making it so that Costco's retail price was basically his wholesale price. Second was continuously upping the cost of LOTR LE after orders had already been taken, essentially removing all profit were he to honor the original price. Third was cutting back his LOTR LE allotment despite the fact that he was the one that essentially got it going, so that he was forced to buy Canadian machines from Starburst (ones that nonetheless shipped directly from Stern) simply to fulfill his orders, which ended up creating entirely new headaches because they came with Canadian coin mechs.

Now, from reading the posts I'm not going to claim Jack handled all this as smoothly as he could have - I think he was genuinely ticked off at this point, and I'm sure folks like MrBally who were all over those threads will have their two cents - but it seems he was stuck between a rock and a hard place not actually of his doing. His most logical option was to simply cancel orders and sell what he could at the new price, but in the end he worked to honor prices and scrounge up machines... and got crucified for it.

Very interesting, didn't know those details...

#305 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Really Ice ? Sterns sells out 500 LEs in a hour and Jack is doing backflips ? I doubt it .

Have you seen the threads of irate people pissed off at Stern? Yeah, I know you got your MOPle and am glad you did...but yeah, I think JJ is probably glad he isn't the only one getting pummeled right now.....

And I think selling 500 le's in short order is a great thing for JJ because its great for pinball, will help overall sales....just like JJ and Woz was great for Stern....

#306 11 years ago

I wouldn't say Stern are being pummeled. It's more like the hangover after an extremely good night out celebrating.

#307 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Neither is correct. And stern did not up the price on the LOTR LE, that ended up being bs. The thread is still on rgp. Jack's version of the story also differs greatly from first hand accounts by stern and two outside distribs.

#308 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have you seen the threads of irate people pissed off at Stern

Woz Pre owners ?

#309 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Neither is correct. And stern did not up the price on the LOTR LE, that ended up being bs. The thread is still on rgp. Jack's version of the story also differs greatly from first hand accounts by stern and two outside distribs.

I was looking through that thread, and that was the best I could glean from the information still available (some posts seemed to be missing). Feel free to provide corrections. I saw that Jack said he'd post exactly what happened later, but I don't think that post ever came.

#310 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Honestly, when JJP started I remembered the LoTR stories regarding Jack telling customers "hey that deal we had, how about its different now and you pay me more"

I was expecting the WoZ buyers to get similar calls after the inevitable delays/increased costs and that honestly kept me away in and of itself. To his credit Jack has not done this (at least to my knowledge) on the WoZ project.

#311 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I was looking through that thread, and that was the best I could glean from the information still available (some posts seemed to be missing). Feel free to provide corrections. I saw that Jack said he'd post exactly what happened later, but I don't think that post ever came. For reference, it's Nov/Dec 2009.

I remember it well. Just think about this question; does it make sense that stern would only allow the top distributor, not to mention the guy who came up with the idea to run it, only to order 10 machines? Also remember stern and jack were very close business partners at that time.

#312 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Woz Pre owners ?

Hahaha...well, I guess we gotta take it out on somebody! Anybody....

#313 11 years ago

Back when their big split happened Jack told me that he had sold games to customers and checked with Stern to make sure they had the games in stock. But when he attempted to acquire them for delivery Gary just plain told him he could not have them, and never did give him a reason. Jack was not happy about trying to explain that to his customers and did not tell me what the final solution was.

Thats straight from the horse's mouth. And its not a horse of a different color.

#314 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Back when their big split happened Jack told me that he had sold games to customers and checked with Stern to make sure they had the games in stock. But when he attempted to acquire them for delivery Gary just plain told him he could not have them, and never did give him a reason. Jack was not happy about trying to explain that to his customers and did not tell me what the final solution was.
Thats straight from the horse's mouth. And its not a horse of a different color.

That horses mouth cannot be trusted though

Neeeeeeither can (said with a horsey neigh lol)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-people-burned-out-on-woz-even-before-it-has-shipped/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.