(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

I've actually bought more CDs in the past 2 years than I have in the last 20.

I've been re-ripping all the music to a hi-res music player. I like streaming, but I also like the feeling of owning my music. Also, if I go on a long drive, I go through some patchy cell areas and it burns my data and battery up, so it's nice being able to have my player connected to the car.

I think in a year or two CDs will be coming back stronger, much like vinyl did.

Also, I kid you not. I saw a guy wearing a Sony Sportsman CD player at the gym just last week.

#25 6 years ago

I started buying vinyl about 10 years ago, but I stopped listening to it once it started to become popular again. Why? Because I got tired of only being able to listen to 4 songs before I had to swap out the record, or flip it over.

Now, if they were to invent a way that you could play 60 minutes straight I'd go back to vinyl.

I know growing up, we used to have a record player that you could stack multiple records, and once one would get done, the next one would drop down and start playing again. But I haven't seen any new players that do that.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Get one of these bad boys and you can set up a couple hours of tunes!
    EDIT, just saw you want to get a newer one.. hmm wonder if anyone makes them!
    Another example for the kiddies who've never seen a changer:

Yep that big wooden cabinet one looks exactly like the one we used to have. Only ours had a liftable top, not sliding doors. My dad stripped it's guts in the 90's and is now a blanket cupboard down in the basement.

But yeah, I haven't seen any new record players that do that old way of cycling records. I'd like to get a new one that connected to my home theater. The one I have is one of those Retro styles from 10+ years ago.

1 week later
    #223 6 years ago

While we're all becoming more dependant on getting our entertainment from streaming services, I really don't like the idea that it will make physical media obsolete. If it ever does, we're stuck paying for monthly fees for everything.

Up until the 90's, we never had cable or dish in our family. The only subscription we had was a phone line. No internet. Now as an adult, I have subscriptions to: Internet, Cell phone, Netflix streaming, Netflix Disc, Google Play, Hulu, and Sling. I'd save about $200 a month if we were back in the mid-90's.

20 years from now, this will all be different. I hope for the better, but I doubt it.

#227 6 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I was paying the 4, 5 or 6 x equivalent of "monthly fees" for music to listen to .0000000000001% of the music I can listen to now. A cap of ~$120/year for music spending is the greatest bargain in the history of humanity. Same for movies - think of the money sunk on VHS rentals and late fees, or DVDs, just to be able to watch a handful of movies and then worry about maintaining/returning/storing/moving/not scratching them. I used to spend that much on a couple box sets.
    Alternatively if you don't care that much about music or TV/movies you can buy a digital antenna and watch hi def OTA for free, or listen to music on Pandora, YouTube, etc for free with a lot more variety and options than OTA radio ever gave you.
    IMO it's the golden age for music and movie lovers.

Guess I'm a purist. Like mentioned by others before, I can't stand compressed video or audio. I'll watch shows that I don't care about on netflix. But movies, I want the best quality. I don't want to see banding on colors in gradients, or artifacting in motion, or compressed 5.1 audio.

Just like every other industry, we're giving up a high quality product, for a more cheaper one that's "good enough."

#232 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Me too. I couldn't care less that the younger generation doesn't know the difference. That's their problem.

Yeah, that bothers me. Those who don't know what's good for them are ruining it for the rest of us.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.