(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 6 years ago

FLACs sound better than CDs because they never have to error correct fingerprints, dust, or scratches.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of the bands that have their own pinball machines came long before CDs even existed.
    If you want the true experience of listening to the bands your new pinball games are themed after, you really need to invest in one of these.

I'll see your 8-track and raise you a R-72

cae7a78ae43bf74e8c5356e6f308b1f4--orange-cabinets-transistor-radio (resized).jpgcae7a78ae43bf74e8c5356e6f308b1f4--orange-cabinets-transistor-radio (resized).jpg

932b43f3d3fafb585761ed45f72573f8 (resized).jpg932b43f3d3fafb585761ed45f72573f8 (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Would love to see your touch screen jukebox documented in a thread, if you start at it again.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophile-music-server-project

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

todays music is horrible and the sad part is todays singers are getting paid record amounts of money for songs that are no where near as good as the older singers-groups-songs

Musicians are making way less, adjusted for inflation, than they did back in the 70s.

Anytime someone says to me "Today's music sucks", without fail, they tell me they only listen to 50s rock or 70s rock; always some form of music that went out of style 50 to 70 years ago .

But, today's bands are much better recorded and the singers can actually deliver the goods live.

There are a bunch of "Led Zep" style bands out right now that are much better than Zep.

1. Live, the singers can actually hit the high notes with ease - not just croaking along.

2. The songs are recorded well and don't sound like they were recorded under a bog.

3. They actually write their songs, instead of stealing them uncredited from old bluesmen.

Scorpion Child would be one example. Better than Zep in every way - especially live:

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

The good news is that we have hip-hop, which is now the most popular form of music.

Hip Hop is only 2% ahead of Rock in 2017 Nilson totals (25% of all music played).

23% of all music played in the US for 2017 was rock.

So it's not like the sky is falling on old white guys.

In fact, the #1 selling album of 2017 was Ed Sheeran.

(picture for grandpa "Ed who????")
    ema-ed-sheeran-650 (resized).jpgema-ed-sheeran-650 (resized).jpg

-

The #2 selling album for 2017 was Taylor Swift.

(Picture for grandpa)
    399288a9ac7bae57d1ec76376a30a288---taylor-swift-tour (resized).jpg399288a9ac7bae57d1ec76376a30a288---taylor-swift-tour (resized).jpg

#133 5 years ago

The reason streaming sucks is the low bitrate.

If you have the hacked Pandora that saves your upvoted songs, you can see that the Pandora files are only 64kbps (most normal Mp3s are 320K).

-

Spotify is just as bad.

Again, the hacked client that lets you save tracks in your Android "Music" folder shows that they are only 96kbps.

-

So if you ever wonder why streamed music is so fatiguing to listen to, and why even with good headphones it sounds like tinfoil......

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Have you tried Tidal?

I have.

$240 a year is a pretty big ticket.

And their search sucks. If you can't spell it exactly, Tidal can't seem to find it. Really sucks in the car, when you are sure to misspell something.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

What is the full Vid review of Tidal? I have always considered it...

When it first started, it had a pretty lame catalog, but nowadays it's fully stocked.

Some artists have put Tidal Exclusive songs on Tidal (because Tidal pays a larger royalty to artists than any other streamer).

It's FLAC quality, so that rocks; and if your player can handle it, Tidal can even do MQA encoded files.

The only drawback is the search and the cost.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Here's an interesting test to see if you can tell the difference between 1411K, 320K, and 160K encodes of the same music. FWIW, it also says you can up Spotify to 320 on the desktop.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/lossless-audio-music-compression-test-spotify-hi-fi-tidal

The problem is that Windows re-encodes everything to 48Khz on the fly.

That's why when you try to play a DTS encoded CD on a Windows machine, it just blasts out noise. When you play it in a CD player, it plays.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

No surprise that I was 0-3 on the test.

If you listened on a Windows computer, they were all the same resolution.

You would need a good set of headphones, a quiet room, and driver software to bypass windows native sound driver.

The only way to hear the difference is:

http://www.asio4all.org/

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I get what you're saying, but as a casual listener, you just made my point of what extremes I don't want to go to.

I was just pointing out that the "see if you can hear the difference" website was a scam.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

How cool would another GNR game be?

Especially with Buckethead on lead guitar.

That guy is 50x better than Slash.

mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpgmahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

No one has heard of Greta Van Fleet, no one. When I ask people if they have heard Greta Van Fleet they just look at me like I am some kind of insane idiot.

They have the #9 song in the country right now....

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

and the #3 rock album:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hard-rock-albums

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I’m not totally up on these things but I’m not sure how relevant Billboard is these days.

In the old days, Billboard would call (you know, on a phone) a group of record stores and ask them what they sold that week.

This of course allowed employees to report higher record sales to bands they liked, or allowed the mob to alter the reports in some markets.

But in 1990, Nelson switched over to Soundscan, and using barcode readers, tracked the actual unit sales. This brought Alternative, Hip Hop and Country music way up in the ranks. Suddenly all the **uncool** music was selling!

-

Fast forward 3 decades, and Nelson now tracks EVERYTHING it's human drones listen to.

When you see someone wearing a Pager nowadays, that pager is actually a Nelson tracker that is listening to the person's entire life.

Listen to Greta on Youtube for more than a few seconds? It's tracked and counted.

Go to a movie, or even watch a pirated movie? It's tracked and counted.

Watch CNN in the morning? They count it.

Listen to the one Country song you like on Spotify? Counted.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I literally want to kill myself and not be part of society any more after listening to all that drivel.

It's been like that since the dawn of time, it did not just happen today.

#1 songs:

1973 "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Ole Oak Tree"

1974 "The Way We Were" Barbra Streisand

1975 "Love Will Keep Us Together" Captain & Tennille

1976 "Silly Love Songs" Wings

1977 "Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)" Rod Stewart

1978 "Shadow Dancing" Andy Gibb

The worst music of all time, and imagine, that was when sales were being reported by phone - think how bad the actual #1 songs were!

Even if we switch to 1990 when Soundscan cleaned up the joint:

1990 "Hold On" Wilson Phillips

1991 "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" Bryan Adams

1992 "End of the Road" Boyz II Men

1993 "I Will Always Love You" Whitney Houston

1994 "The Sign" Ace of Base

1995 "Gangsta's Paradise" Coolio

1996 "Macarena" Los del Río

Again, the worst songs of all time, and those are based on real sales figures.

-

So when people talk about "how good music USED to be" or other nonsense, remind them that Led Zep, KISS, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan; never had a #1 song.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Beth/Detroit Rock City KISS Peaked at #7 on 12.4.1976

Easily KISS's worst song with the original lineup

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dancing In The Dark Bruce Springsteen Peaked at #2 on 6.30.1984

Terrible song, made worse with that terrible synthesizer playing the melody. Bruce went from a Dylan wanabe, to a working class poet, down to assclown sellout (note the entire front cover is his ass). The absolute worst album ever made.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Jump Van Halen Peaked at #1 on 2.25.1984

2nd worst VH song. Again the synth makes it so dated, so sucky. The end of the band, mercifully.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Why Can't This Be Love Van Halen Peaked at #3 on 5.17.1986

#1 worst Van Halen AND worst Sammy Hagar song, a career milestone for both of them. Lamer than 2 retarded kids fighting under a blanket.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) Pink Floyd Peaked at #1 on 3.22.1980

~probably the worst of Floyd's popular songs. So banal. The one good this is that the howl at the beginning gives you just enough time to to change the station before the monotone voice starts droning.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Whole Lotta Love Led Zeppelin Peaked at #4 on 1.31.1970

One of Zep's worst rip offs, sanitized lyrics and all. Has absolutely no groove compared to the original

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I pull out that black American strat for that one so I can, you know, pretend to be DG. I still am a faker though with that same stupid white pick guard, need to change that...

You got to put in the card that makes the bridge pickup into a single coil for that one.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

No doubt the idea of the concept album is probably gone.

Muse would be an example of a popular band that still does the Concept Album gambit.

#213 5 years ago

When the apocalypse comes, everyone who did not buy all their music on vinyl media is going to be sad.

#217 5 years ago

"This was a recording from my band, Clutch."

Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpgJanacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I'm annoyed by the "only a true fan" mentality. It's a very binary approach.

This is Pinside.

There are no gray areas.

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

that's not one song.

DRC bombed as a single, in fact, the song sucked so bad, it did not even chart.

Beth was starting to be played in a few markets, so KISS re-released the single, with Beth as the A side instead.

The single with DRC as the A side is much more valuable today.

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I will admit that a lot of the Kiss songs don’t hold up too well for longevity as great songs, although there definitely are a few. But still you can’t understate how big they were back in the day. If you are ancient enough you’ll remember it. They were hugely hugely popular. Their schtick and songwriting hit at just the right time.

I remember them being the biggest band in the world in the 70s, but I don't remember regularly hearing them on the radio until they became a classic rock act.

You would hear "New York Groove" on the "American Top 40" show, but I never heard it in heavy rotation - and it was #13 on the charts.

Just like when "Ride the Lightning" was on the top 40 charts, they NEVER played Metallica on the radio (too bad we can't go back to that).

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Beth was too oddball to even consider a Kiss song.

Highest charting KISS song, evah.

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Which devices can't use Spotify?

All the big storage iPods, Pono, 2017 Walkman, tablet away from wifi

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Driving in my buick today with the optional am/fm cd/cassette radio I thought to hell with this thread

At least it warns parents of incoming stranger danger

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

She didn’t get the memo

That's because MJ only had sleepovers with little boys.

Don't forget the perversion the cops found when they came to drag his corpse out of the bedroom:

michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpgmichael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg

I'm so glad he's dead.....

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Which reminds me, have you seen the BBC documentary on R Kelly? I've loved his music but it's pretty much ruined for me at this point. Disgusting how that stuff gets pushed under the rug for a popular entertainer.

I did not see the BBC doc, but I'm remembering him marrying some girl who was 15 a few years back.

If the record company is making money, they will sweep everything under the rug for you.

Remember when the FBI discovered that MJ paid off 23 sets of parents so he could have sex with their little boys?

I don't like shlt like that at all.

#267 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

vid1900 at it again with his puritanical moral standards - what a prude!

That's me.

I'll do just about anything, man, woman, animal....but not children.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.