(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vectorgamer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

I've been buying all my music from iTunes for the last 18 years. All my music is on my NAS and I can stream to multiple devices using PLEX. You can connect to PLEX remotely if you wanted to but I don't have mine setup. When I'm at work or traveling I just load up my phone and bluetooth to headphones or my car.

I have no desire to go back to the CD format. But, interestingly my last CD purchase was only a few weeks ago because it was the Judas Priest British Steel 30th Anniversary that also had a DVD with it.

Maybe it's time to hit up the thrift stores for cheap CDs to rip? I haven't been thrifting in a long time so I have no idea what's out there.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Additionally if the service is terminated by Apple

I've already been down that road with MSN Music many moons ago. I have a bunch of WMA files I can't play anymore cuz the service is no longer active. Luckily I burned a lot of that stuff to CD so I could play in the car and then ripped the CD to remove the DRM.

1 week later
    #243 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

DRC bombed as a single

It took me a lil while to figure out DRC didn't stand for "dirty rotten ****"

#251 6 years ago

This thread got me to install Spotify last week. The free version has limited skips (if memory serves 6 per hour) and the ads are few and 30 seconds long (with no ads in succession). I like that I can pick Judas Priest and listen to just them for hours.

For me streaming won't replace digital downloads. I still enjoy listening to live bootlegs and albums from front to back. And with digital downloads I can create my own playlists in Plex where I rarely skip a track and can stream to multiple devices wherever I am in the house (and could do it remotely if I really wanted to). And Plex is available on all my devices where Spotify is not.

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Which devices can't use Spotify?

Roku. A lot of times I sit in the living room, fire up the TV and Plex and listen to music.

2 weeks later
    #270 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Pretty interesting read...
    Music Downloads Had A Short And Unhappy Life
    http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2018/05/music-downloads-short-unhappy-life.html

I guess I'm going in the wrong direction...just bought two albums from Bandcamp and two albums from iTunes last night...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vectorgamer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead?tu=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.