(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 6 years ago

I'm a fan of bandcamp and prefer it over buying a CD - they always have a lossless audio download option, and sometimes have music mastered above redbook audio CD quality. Whether or not you can hear a difference is up for debate, but it's there if you want it.

Plus a good chunk of the sale goes toward the artist.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

I'll take an album or CD any day. Just like the music itself, not a fan of this new crap. At least an album might be worth something. A true fan and collector will have hard copies.

Why does physical property define whether or not a person is a "true fan"?

I mentioned bandcamp downloads earlier in the thread, and how more money goes toward the artist. Does supporting the artist through downloads make me less of a fan?

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The problem is that Windows re-encodes everything to 48Khz on the fly.
    That's why when you try to play a DTS encoded CD on a Windows machine, it just blasts out noise. When you play it in a CD player, it plays.

Foobar can help with this if you use WASAPI or ASIO output.

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Pink Floyd got my money multiple times for the same music. I've seen video of David Gilmour at his house so I think he did OK . I bought the LP. I bought the CD. Now I don't have either, just digital versions of those songs floating around as 1s and 0s. Part of me wishes I kept the physical album and CD just for the coolness effect. But on the other hand, sometimes I get tired of "stuff" piled up all over the place, and I got rid of it all. I think I am still a pretty good fan. Been listening to that for 45 years.
    150 or so record albums and who knows how many CDs are long gone. Those used CDs are worth next to nothing for the most part, but the LPs are probably worth a little bit with the resurgence. I had all that good 70s stuff on LP - Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and dozens of Jimi Hendrix albums, some never or rarely played. The ironic thing is I still have my original Pioneer turntable from the 70s. I do use it once in a great while to digitize some rare thing on an LP that can't be acquired digitally.

I have about 800 CDs somewhere. Clutter. They all get opened only to be ripped to my computer and put out of sight.Vinyl is a pain in the butt. Props to the people that enjoy it, but I'd rather not have my music collection take up a few tons. I don't want to touch it, dust it, adjust it. I want to listen to it.

I'm annoyed by the "only a true fan" mentality. It's a very binary approach.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead?tu=roffels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.