(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#90 6 years ago

I've been a music junkie since before I had my driver's license - first a thousand or so cassettes, then nearly four thousand CDs and a handful of vinyl records over the years for whatever reason (with no way to play them) - but then for a while there it really went all MP3/FLAC for me. Loaded up the NAS with about a terabyte of all the back catalogs of everyone I'd ever liked and all that good stuff, but I never really seemed to listen to it anymore. I still listened to my CDs in the car and I still do, but it wasn't until I got a turntable last year that I really started getting back into music the way I USED to listen to it, which is a whole album at a time. When I was a cassette kid, I never rewound them - I left them out until I had played them to the end, just like you'd leave a bookmark in a book.

This past year I probably bought two dozen CDs but easily two hundred vinyl LPs and a couple dozen 7" singles for the jukebox I'd eventually like to have. I have a closet full of various sets of high end speakers and have tried all sorts of rigs but the truth of the matter is my hearing isn't that great and getting worse, so I stay out of the sound quality argument. I do like having the digital copies and keep a nice headphone amp and a couple pairs of cans in my desk at work so I can tune out the hens, but watching the record player spin with the album cover and lyric sheet in front of me is how I fell in love with music as a child and how I'm enjoying it once again. I'm singing a lot more too, and have stretched my range back nearly to the four octaves I had before I discovered cigarettes.

I'm slowly culling out the dead weight in my CD collection and the cassettes are long gone but, like pinball, vinyl has brightened my day. CDs though, for the bulk of the population, are dead. I bought a good friend a copy of a fantastic album I knew he'd love a few months back and when I finally asked how he liked it, he admitted he didn't have a CD player anywhere in his house or cars and hadn't heard it yet.

My dad had dubbed most of his favorite records onto a reel-to-reel so not to wear them out. Maybe that's the next step I should explore.

#91 6 years ago

5C0E2062-B312-43B4-B02C-30FEA2223F1F (resized).jpeg5C0E2062-B312-43B4-B02C-30FEA2223F1F (resized).jpeg

You blew all your inheritance
    And now you're trying to pin the blame on me
    And I could write you off so easily
    Except a hundred million other people agree
    You kick and scream to get your way again
    But the writing is on the wall
    Any minute you'll go on to your reward
    Someone else is gonna make the call

In these strange negotiations
    Man they really are gettin' me down
    Strange negotiations
    Feel like a stranger in my hometown
    Strange negotiations
    You know I'm looking for a way around
    All these strange negotiations

You cut your leg off to save a buck or two
    Because you never consider the cost
    You find the lowest prices every day
    But would you look at everything that we've lost
    And yeah, it's true, I learned it from watching you
    But now it's you who doesn't know what a dollar is worth
    You got the market its own bodyguard
    And all the people are gettin' hurt

In these strange negotiations
    Man they really are gettin' me down
    Strange negotiations
    Feel like a stranger in my hometown
    Strange negotiations
    You know I'm looking for a way around
    All these strange negotiations

#95 6 years ago

It’s on Terrarium TV, I’m watching it right now.

#146 6 years ago

For what it's worth, the new Ghost album will be available on cassette, vinyl and 8-track.

UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).pngUltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

No one has heard of Greta Van Fleet, no one. When I ask people if they have heard Greta Van Fleet they just look at me like I am some kind of insane idiot.

To be fair, it's an odd name for a Zeppelin cover band.

1 week later
    #262 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm so glad he's dead.....

Which reminds me, have you seen the BBC documentary on R Kelly? I've loved his music but it's pretty much ruined for me at this point. Disgusting how that stuff gets pushed under the rug for a popular entertainer.

#268 5 years ago

Pagan cultures sacrificed virgins to please their gods. So do we.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emkay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead?tu=emkay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.