(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Again, the worst songs of all time, and those are based on real sales figures.
    -
    So when people talk about "how good music USED to be" or other nonsense, remind them that Led Zep, KISS, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan; never had a #1 song.

Maybe not # 1, but hey, they got close....

Whole Lotta Love Led Zeppelin Peaked at #4 on 1.31.1970

Beth/Detroit Rock City KISS Peaked at #7 on 12.4.1976

Dancing In The Dark Bruce Springsteen Peaked at #2 on 6.30.1984

I Can See For Miles The Who Peaked at #9 on 11.25.1967

All Along The Watchtower The Jimi Hendrix Experience Peaked at #20 on 10.19.1968

Like A Rolling Stone Bob Dylan Peaked at #2 on 9.4.1965

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 Bob Dylan Peaked at #2 on 5.21.1966

And how about these?

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) Pink Floyd Peaked at #1 on 3.22.1980

The Loco-Motion Grand Funk Peaked at #1 on 5.4.1974

We're An American Band Grand Funk Peaked at #1 on 9.29.1973

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet/Free Wheelin' Bachman-Turner Overdrive Peaked at #1 on 11.9.1974

Jump Van Halen Peaked at #1 on 2.25.1984

Why Can't This Be Love Van Halen Peaked at #3 on 5.17.1986

Smoke On The Water Deep Purple Peaked at #4 on 7.28.1973

Black Magic Woman Santana Peaked at #4 on 1.9.1971

School's Out Alice Cooper Peaked at #7 on 7.29.1972

AND our favorite -----
    Ballroom Blitz Sweet Peaked at #5 on 10.18.1975

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Beth/Detroit Rock City KISS Peaked at #7 on 12.4.1976

Easily KISS's worst song with the original lineup

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dancing In The Dark Bruce Springsteen Peaked at #2 on 6.30.1984

Terrible song, made worse with that terrible synthesizer playing the melody. Bruce went from a Dylan wanabe, to a working class poet, down to assclown sellout (note the entire front cover is his ass). The absolute worst album ever made.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Jump Van Halen Peaked at #1 on 2.25.1984

2nd worst VH song. Again the synth makes it so dated, so sucky. The end of the band, mercifully.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Why Can't This Be Love Van Halen Peaked at #3 on 5.17.1986

#1 worst Van Halen AND worst Sammy Hagar song, a career milestone for both of them. Lamer than 2 retarded kids fighting under a blanket.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) Pink Floyd Peaked at #1 on 3.22.1980

~probably the worst of Floyd's popular songs. So banal. The one good this is that the howl at the beginning gives you just enough time to to change the station before the monotone voice starts droning.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Whole Lotta Love Led Zeppelin Peaked at #4 on 1.31.1970

One of Zep's worst rip offs, sanitized lyrics and all. Has absolutely no groove compared to the original

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Terrible song, made worse with that terrible synthesizer playing the melody. Bruce went from a Dylan wanabe, to a working class poet, down to assclown sellout (note the entire front cover is his ass). The absolute worst album ever made.

2nd worst VH song. Again the synth makes it so dated, so sucky. The end of the band, mercifully.

#1 worst Van Halen AND Sammy Hagar song, a career milestone for both of them. Lamer than 2 retarded kids fighting under a blanket.

~probably the worst of Floyd's popular songs. So banal. The one good this is that the howl at the beginning gives you just enough time to to change the station before the monotone voice starts droning.

One of Zep's worst rip offs, sanitized lyrics and all. Has absolutely no groove compared to the original
    » YouTube video

Not arguing those points, but at least those bands made the charts, I thought that was something.

I never did care for Van Hagar much that's for sure.

I have all those old blues songs, they are the best.

I like Another Brick in the Wall because I know how to play it. I pull out that black American strat for that one so I can, you know, pretend to be DG. I still am a faker though with that same stupid white pick guard, need to change that...

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

#1 worst Van Halen AND worst Sammy Hagar song, a career milestone for both of them. Lamer than 2 retarded kids fighting under a blanket.

#205 5 years ago

This would be one of my favorite Van Hagar songs. I play in a band and this is the only Van Hagar song we like playing. Black and Blue....

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I pull out that black American strat for that one so I can, you know, pretend to be DG. I still am a faker though with that same stupid white pick guard, need to change that...

You got to put in the card that makes the bridge pickup into a single coil for that one.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You got to put in the card that makes the bridge pickup into a single coil for that one.

Cool will try that, I haven't swapped any of the cards yet. That should help with Comfortably Numb also I think, first solo. I can basically play it but searching for the tone...

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Or just get a strat with a 5 way switch. Im in the process of changing out my 2012 American strat fat 50s over to hot rails in the bridge and cool rails in the middle and neck positions. I want this bitch to scram ! lol I have a really cool 1983 Japanese strat for some single coil love when i need it !

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I like Another Brick in the Wall because I know how to play it. I pull out that black American strat for that one so I can, you know, pretend to be DG. I still am a faker though with that same stupid white pick guard, need to change that...

Gilmour is to me the essence of what a great guitar player should be !!!

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

No doubt the idea of the concept album is probably gone.

Muse would be an example of a popular band that still does the Concept Album gambit.

#211 5 years ago

Not only CD's, but media in general is dead.

Go to any middle school or high school and see if any one has ever, or will ever buy any media.

The answer is no.

You can still buy typewriter ribbon and buggy whips but the industry is a 'boutique business' now. All media is the same as typewriter ribbon.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

Not only CD's, but media in general is dead.
    Go to any middle school or high school and see if any one has ever, or will ever buy any media.
    The answer is no.

The answer is not no, my daughter who is in high school has.

I love how such blanket statements can be disproven with a single example!

Media will always have its place.

#213 5 years ago

When the apocalypse comes, everyone who did not buy all their music on vinyl media is going to be sad.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The answer in not no, my daughter who is in high school has.
    I love how such blanket statements can be disproven with a single example!
    Media will always have its place.

Yes media still exists and there are a few people that still buy it. When an industry used to be that every kid in highschool had a tower full of CDs. They hit the mall on release day to get the latest. Now one out of a thousand actually still owns media the other 999 subscribe to a streaming service. They can't even be bothered to pirate music anymore. Media is dead or completely irrelevant to the mass market.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

When the apocalypse comes, everyone who did not buy all their music on vinyl media is going to be sad.

Well if there is still some form of power to run a turntable then there is power to charge my iPod battery. So I'll still be good to go with 10,000+ songs. I'll listen with headphones while slaughtering zombies.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpgzzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg

#217 5 years ago

"This was a recording from my band, Clutch."

Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpgJanacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg

#218 5 years ago

just read a news clip where best buy will no longer be selling cd's after may of this year.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Pink Floyd got my money multiple times for the same music. I've seen video of David Gilmour at his house so I think he did OK . I bought the LP. I bought the CD. Now I don't have either, just digital versions of those songs floating around as 1s and 0s. Part of me wishes I kept the physical album and CD just for the coolness effect. But on the other hand, sometimes I get tired of "stuff" piled up all over the place, and I got rid of it all. I think I am still a pretty good fan. Been listening to that for 45 years.
    150 or so record albums and who knows how many CDs are long gone. Those used CDs are worth next to nothing for the most part, but the LPs are probably worth a little bit with the resurgence. I had all that good 70s stuff on LP - Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and dozens of Jimi Hendrix albums, some never or rarely played. The ironic thing is I still have my original Pioneer turntable from the 70s. I do use it once in a great while to digitize some rare thing on an LP that can't be acquired digitally.

I have about 800 CDs somewhere. Clutter. They all get opened only to be ripped to my computer and put out of sight.Vinyl is a pain in the butt. Props to the people that enjoy it, but I'd rather not have my music collection take up a few tons. I don't want to touch it, dust it, adjust it. I want to listen to it.

I'm annoyed by the "only a true fan" mentality. It's a very binary approach.

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I'm annoyed by the "only a true fan" mentality. It's a very binary approach.

This is Pinside.

There are no gray areas.

#221 5 years ago

Big Spotify announcement event this morning in NYC. One rumor is that it may include hi-def streaming (although it’s unlikely).

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2018/04/what-to-expect-from-todays-spotify-announcement.html

#222 5 years ago

The roadblock to hi-def streaming is not technological. You can stream 4K video right now.

The reason it isn't widely available is that demand really doesn't exist.

The younger demographic (the main consumer of music) does not care about bit rate. They will stream from YouTube on their phone before they ever pop a CD in a slot or jump through any hoops to get higher quality music.

Eventually (Moore's Law), the content will all be hi-def in the cloud and the only media will be found in the hands of collectors/enthusiasts, garage sales and at the Brass Armadillo.

#223 5 years ago

While we're all becoming more dependant on getting our entertainment from streaming services, I really don't like the idea that it will make physical media obsolete. If it ever does, we're stuck paying for monthly fees for everything.

Up until the 90's, we never had cable or dish in our family. The only subscription we had was a phone line. No internet. Now as an adult, I have subscriptions to: Internet, Cell phone, Netflix streaming, Netflix Disc, Google Play, Hulu, and Sling. I'd save about $200 a month if we were back in the mid-90's.

20 years from now, this will all be different. I hope for the better, but I doubt it.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

While we're all becoming more dependant on getting our entertainment from streaming services, I really don't like the idea that it will make physical media obsolete. If it ever does, we're stuck paying for monthly fees for everything.
    Up until the 90's, we never had cable or dish in our family. The only subscription we had was a phone line. No internet. Now as an adult, I have subscriptions to: Internet, Cell phone, Netflix streaming, Netflix Disc, Google Play, Hulu, and Sling. I'd save about $200 a month if we were back in the mid-90's.
    20 years from now, this will all be different. I hope for the better, but I doubt it.

I was paying the 4, 5 or 6 x equivalent of "monthly fees" for music to listen to .0000000000001% of the music I can listen to now. A cap of ~$120/year for music spending is the greatest bargain in the history of humanity. Same for movies - think of the money sunk on VHS rentals and late fees, or DVDs, just to be able to watch a handful of movies and then worry about maintaining/returning/storing/moving/not scratching them. I used to spend that much on a couple box sets.

Alternatively if you don't care that much about music or TV/movies you can buy a digital antenna and watch hi def OTA for free, or listen to music on Pandora, YouTube, etc for free with a lot more variety and options than OTA radio ever gave you.

IMO it's the golden age for music and movie lovers.

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

that's not one song.

#226 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Alternatively if you don't care that much about music or TV/movies you can buy a digital antenna and watch hi def OTA for free

Just last week I bought a new HDTV antenna for a lady friend down on her luck. Hooked it up to the smart TV I also gave her and we watched as the available channels were programmed in automatically. She now has 97 channels to choose from all for free.
    I didn't hang out but the picture looked great.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/winegard-flatwave-amped-indoor-plate-hdtv-antenna-black-white/2938685.p?skuId=2938685

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I was paying the 4, 5 or 6 x equivalent of "monthly fees" for music to listen to .0000000000001% of the music I can listen to now. A cap of ~$120/year for music spending is the greatest bargain in the history of humanity. Same for movies - think of the money sunk on VHS rentals and late fees, or DVDs, just to be able to watch a handful of movies and then worry about maintaining/returning/storing/moving/not scratching them. I used to spend that much on a couple box sets.
    Alternatively if you don't care that much about music or TV/movies you can buy a digital antenna and watch hi def OTA for free, or listen to music on Pandora, YouTube, etc for free with a lot more variety and options than OTA radio ever gave you.
    IMO it's the golden age for music and movie lovers.

Guess I'm a purist. Like mentioned by others before, I can't stand compressed video or audio. I'll watch shows that I don't care about on netflix. But movies, I want the best quality. I don't want to see banding on colors in gradients, or artifacting in motion, or compressed 5.1 audio.

Just like every other industry, we're giving up a high quality product, for a more cheaper one that's "good enough."

#228 5 years ago

Don't know about the near term future of music cd's, but the rotary phone has definitely lost it's luster.

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Guess I'm a purist. Like mentioned by others before, I can't stand compressed video or audio. I'll watch shows that I don't care about on netflix. But movies, I want the best quality. I don't want to see banding on colors in gradients, or artifacting in motion, or compressed 5.1 audio.
    Just like every other industry, we're giving up a high quality product, for a more cheaper one that's "good enough."

Me too. I couldn't care less that the younger generation doesn't know the difference. That's their problem.

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Well if there is still some form of power to run a turntable then...

Your hand or foot.

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

that's not one song.

DRC bombed as a single, in fact, the song sucked so bad, it did not even chart.

Beth was starting to be played in a few markets, so KISS re-released the single, with Beth as the A side instead.

The single with DRC as the A side is much more valuable today.

#232 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Me too. I couldn't care less that the younger generation doesn't know the difference. That's their problem.

Yeah, that bothers me. Those who don't know what's good for them are ruining it for the rest of us.

#233 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Beth was starting to be played in a few markets, so KISS re-released the single, with Beth as the A side instead.

I will admit that a lot of the Kiss songs don’t hold up too well for longevity as great songs, although there definitely are a few. But still you can’t understate how big they were back in the day. If you are ancient enough you’ll remember it. They were hugely hugely popular. Their schtick and songwriting hit at just the right time.

#234 5 years ago

I just spent a Saturday installing an NOS 8-track player in my 1969 Olds 442. Unfortunately, the majority of the 8-track tapes I own need a new foam backing behind the magnetic strip in order to work right but I was able to get Frampton Comes Alive working perfectly.

My four kids were mesmerized and thought it was the coolest thing especially how the track switching worked.

Now that I am in search for 8-tracks, the prices are starting to shoot up.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I just spent a Saturday installing an NOS 8-track player in my 1969 Olds 442. Unfortunately, the majority of the 8-track tapes I own need a new foam backing behind the magnetic strip in order to work right but I was able to get Frampton Comes Alive working perfectly.
    My four kids were mesmerized and thought it was the coolest thing especially how the track switching worked.

I loved 8 track!
    It was fun to see 8 track owners cars that had an array of 8 tracks on the floor behind the front seat.

#236 5 years ago

Its funny how you begin to notice things in other areas of life once they enter your consciousness. I've been hunting on Craigslist a gazillion times over the years and never noticed there's a dedicated category for CD/DVD/VHS.

zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).pngzzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Plus the mix of the DRC on the single is different than any other version.

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If it's the chopped up version, it deserved to die. The full track is pretty good but I hate shortened singles.

Beth was too oddball to even consider a Kiss song.

#239 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I will admit that a lot of the Kiss songs don’t hold up too well for longevity as great songs, although there definitely are a few. But still you can’t understate how big they were back in the day. If you are ancient enough you’ll remember it. They were hugely hugely popular. Their schtick and songwriting hit at just the right time.

I remember them being the biggest band in the world in the 70s, but I don't remember regularly hearing them on the radio until they became a classic rock act.

You would hear "New York Groove" on the "American Top 40" show, but I never heard it in heavy rotation - and it was #13 on the charts.

Just like when "Ride the Lightning" was on the top 40 charts, they NEVER played Metallica on the radio (too bad we can't go back to that).

#240 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Beth was too oddball to even consider a Kiss song.

Highest charting KISS song, evah.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I prefer to have the CD's for physical property, but havent loaded a CD for ages other than to scan it to hard drive. Cloud playing is definitely the way to go.
    I am no fan of paying similar pricing and getting no physical property in return. You never know when a computer will go bad.

this is my sentiment when someone asks me why I still have cd's. Also not that there worth collecting for money but if you bought them like I did mostly between 2-5 dollars, look at what they cost now. there is at least a doubling of value on every one I own.
    thanks
    blake

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You would hear "New York Groove" on the "American Top 40" show, but I never heard it in heavy rotation - and it was #13 on the charts.

The Hello version is far superior. I can only assume that DJs of the time understood this and proceeded accordingly.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

DRC bombed as a single

It took me a lil while to figure out DRC didn't stand for "dirty rotten ****"

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

You might consider running a WTB ad in your area. Just for grins, I searched for 8 Track on CL and found this ad here in Denver.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

zzzz8 track (2) (resized).pngzzzz8 track (2) (resized).png

#245 5 years ago

What were they all sold out of phonograph reels at the store? lol

#246 5 years ago

I still record original songs to cd. Just because I know how to do it well, not that my songs are worthy.
    The Beatles rate CD purchases. The rest just kinda fall in my lap. We just got in 1000 CDs from a University radio station. I'm taking home 5 a day and listening to them,all unknown Artist, many never opened with handwritten notes saying things like "Play #7 first".
    I enjoy owning some media, but not as much as I used to.
    It is still desirable to purchase Professional recorders and players I couldn't afford when they were new, now cheap.

#247 5 years ago

Detroit Rock City was only good on the Alive album with Chris doing the drum solo. That was good shit. Beth needs to die a slow painful death !!!!

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Just for grins, I searched for 8 Track on CL and found this ad here in Denver.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

CL is pretty boring since they dropped the personal ads, eh?

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

CL is pretty boring since they dropped the personal ads, eh?

A search for CD didn't alway returned music stuff.

#250 5 years ago

CD’s are the only way I buy new music. I download to my computer for all of my mobile devices but the CD goes in my vehicle to jam while driving. Always good to have the original art and other info like lyrics, song composition, etc.

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.