(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 5 years ago

Should have also mentioned like others I like to have a physical backup. Plus the art and liner notes. Color me old school, but I still enjoy opening a new cd or record, lookin at the book and reading the details of the work.

#52 5 years ago

A nice jukebox in the living room. I never ever run out of ideas of things to try to get here on Pinside. I almost forgot I needed one of those.

#53 5 years ago

As someone involved in the music industry, I can say that they've been dead for about 10 years now! The laptop I'm typing on doesn't even have a player

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Don't you have to keep paying the $10 per month in order to have rights to the music? My understanding is if you stop paying you instantly loose all legal rights to the downloaded songs. Additionally if the service is terminated by Apple, you'd be in the same situation. You are paying a subscription fee to have rights to listen to those songs. The downloading gives you the ability to listen while offline, but unlike a CD it doesn't actually give you the right to keep those songs in perpetuity.

Good question. I don't actually subscribe to the service. My wife does, but I doubt she read the terms and conditions either haha.

#55 5 years ago

I have never downloaded music. I prefer CD's and still buy them to this day, though mostly older music as most new stuff sucks. I like owning the actual item instead of simply the electronic file.

#56 5 years ago

Me, I still like CDs the best, but I probably spend the most time listening over blue tooth from my smart phone. Most of that music is from my own CDs or ones I borrowed. CDs are so flexible - you can listen to them, you can rip them, you can lend and borrow. And you have something physical you own, even if it is just a data storage medium. And I reckon I have pretty much all the music I want already. And yes I often think pretty much all the music worth listening to has already been made. I had a 3 month trial subscription to Spotify, but I hardly used it. I could never seem to think of something I wanted to listen to which I didn’t already have. I‘m not a big fan of vinyl because I can never seem to solve the dust problem.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Today kids have no ideal what there missing in the music there streaming.

Hey You, Get Off Of My Lawn.

-Mick Jagger, 2018.

#58 5 years ago

Reminds me of the great headline around Neil Young's promotion of Pono and his taking music off streaming services:

"Young, man, yells at cloud"

#59 5 years ago

I will often buy CDs from live shows, but I'll rip them to FLAC and then give them away. I don't trust the cloud streaming services, and so much of my collection isn't covered by them anyways.
    Keeping a lossless digital collection.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Reminds me of the great headline around Neil Young's promotion of Pono and his taking music off streaming services:

Pono is cool and all but really the CD was designed with the limitations of the human ear in mind. It encodes the 22 KHz pretty well and there is no chance I am ever hearing anything about 22 KHz in my music...
    Not to slag the 48 KHz fans, but I just don't think anything is added, despite there being more data.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

Great that you can stream from the cloud, but what's the cost?
    I don't like the idea of continually paying for access to music instead of buying it once.
    I'll continue to buy CDs until unlimited free broadband arrives.

Also remember that most artists get next to nothing from streaming services. You want to support an artist by getting an album, best way to do it is buy the release from their bandcamp page. And you can get the lossless FLAC!

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

...And you can get the lossless FLAC!

Not always offered in FLAC sadly but yes Bandcamp always

#63 5 years ago

I just don't have the sophisticated ear that many of you do and I like the simplicity of operation I get from streaming music. I listen to music as background while working, socializing or working on a game. Under those circumstances I don't think I could tell if the music was from vinyl, MP3, CD or streamed. Not unless I stopped and really concentrated on what I was listening to and that would be a distraction to me. Nor would I really care what format it was in as long as its familiar and enjoyable to me.

My CD collection has sat mostly unused for several years now and with this Sonos system, I don't see myself going back. In fact, I'm listening to more music, more often these days then ever before. Right now I'm using Pandora for free and I'm being encouraged by friends to try Spotify. I already have Sirius XM for my car and I'm told that for another 5 bucks a month I can run it through my home system.

It's simple and easy. I find a station I like, let it play randomly and I'm a happy guy until another station might please me.
    I'll probably keep some of my CD's for nostalgic reasons but that's about it.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

What is the best software to rip cd's as uncompressed? I have a server with 10TB so got plenty of space. Like many others I ripped mine years ago as MP3 but would like to go to a better quality someday.

If you are a PC user, take a look at Media Monkey. The free version will do everything you want it to and then some. I have been using it for quite some time, and it never fails to deliver. Currently it keeps my music collection organized/tagged nicely, and that is with about 9tbs of flac, and 2tbs of mp3s. I used to have about 2,200 CDs in my collection, and recently went to digital only.

#65 5 years ago

"All Things Must Pass" is a documentary on the history of Tower Records. On Netflix and it's an awesome history of the record/cd industry as it fell into the grave.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_things_must_pass_the_rise_and_fall_of_tower_records/

#66 5 years ago

Ah, Compact Disc Digital Audio. Has anyone ever stuck a PlayStation or old PC game in their car CD player just for kicks?

#67 5 years ago

I buy CDs of groups I really like and want to own in physical form. Otherwise streaming services will suffice for me.

#68 5 years ago

If I want more than a few songs on the album I will buy the CD. If only a couple of songs, then I will just download. As someone who doesn't routinely back up data, the disk is great.

#69 5 years ago

Most of the bands that have their own pinball machines came long before CDs even existed.

If you want the true experience of listening to the bands your new pinball games are themed after, you really need to invest in one of these.

maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg

#70 5 years ago

I stopped buying CDs about 12 years ago. I ripped them and passed them all on to my niece. It was a pain to manage the music collection from ripped CDs and downloads, but it worked well for quite a while.

I deleted all that crap a couple of years ago. Streaming is just too good now. I use google play music for $9.99/mo, and that gives me access to most music, and I also get commercial free youtube included. I think it is probably the best entertainment value available.

I am well past my days of spending a ton of money on audio equipment, but the High Quality setting (320 if I remember right) on Google sounds good in anything I play it in.

#71 5 years ago

I'm a fan of bandcamp and prefer it over buying a CD - they always have a lossless audio download option, and sometimes have music mastered above redbook audio CD quality. Whether or not you can hear a difference is up for debate, but it's there if you want it.

Plus a good chunk of the sale goes toward the artist.

#72 5 years ago

This is what I have an early 90’s CD juke hooked up to 2 1980’s M-504 Onkyo amps powering one set of 100 pound Klipsch Cornwall’s and another set of Klipsch Chorus ll’s with Bob Crites upgrades. It’s as loud as a real band & im sorry can you repeat that I didn’t hear what you just said....

44B43018-8E95-4348-A72F-3FCC2E3FE175 (resized).jpeg44B43018-8E95-4348-A72F-3FCC2E3FE175 (resized).jpeg

BB07C241-AFA3-4037-9BCF-AA0E0D577409 (resized).jpegBB07C241-AFA3-4037-9BCF-AA0E0D577409 (resized).jpeg

BF2F36EB-14CE-4E0E-903E-C438E25DB7DC (resized).jpegBF2F36EB-14CE-4E0E-903E-C438E25DB7DC (resized).jpeg

5F04DC85-D618-4894-98D4-939A19D7AEC0 (resized).jpeg5F04DC85-D618-4894-98D4-939A19D7AEC0 (resized).jpeg

#73 5 years ago

I still buy CDs mainly for my commute. I just grab a handful and that is my playlist for the week. I buy vinyl on rare occasion.. both are great for the artwork. Since streaming became available I stopped ripping my CDs so at least that hassle to attempt some form of management is gone.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Ah, Compact Disc Digital Audio. Has anyone ever stuck a PlayStation or old PC game in their car CD player just for kicks?

Late 80s or so, CD players had error correction that would make data CDs sound mute. Earlier 80s CD players would play them as a cacophony of noise.
    example

#75 5 years ago

I listen to a lot of local/Midwest metal so like Cait said, the most important thing to me is supporting the artists. Band camp seems to be the way to go, but I always like to intentionally overpay for a CD at a show. Streaming services REALLY fuck the artists so I just cant and won't. SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC!!!

#76 5 years ago

While I'm here, haha, can anyone tell me how I can get my bandcamp flacs to my iPod? Fucking fuck I hate this damn thing. Never mind, best thing for it is a goddamn hammer. Done with Apple.

#77 5 years ago

CDs are dead and streaming has its use when on the move but if you really want to “listen” to your music, there is no substitute.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#78 5 years ago

Now that’s what I’m talking about!

#79 5 years ago

FLACs sound better than CDs because they never have to error correct fingerprints, dust, or scratches.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Late 80s or so, CD players had error correction that would make data CDs sound mute. Earlier 80s CD players would play them as a cacophony of noise.
    example » YouTube video

I was talking more about listening to the soundtrack, which would be audio tracks 2 and up.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

CDs are dead and streaming has its use when on the move but if you really want to “listen” to your music, there is no substitute.

While your taste in pins is questionable... (who sells tspp?)

......the Qotsa poster and Talking Heads album tell me you still have good taste for music.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of the bands that have their own pinball machines came long before CDs even existed.
    If you want the true experience of listening to the bands your new pinball games are themed after, you really need to invest in one of these.

I'll see your 8-track and raise you a R-72

cae7a78ae43bf74e8c5356e6f308b1f4--orange-cabinets-transistor-radio (resized).jpgcae7a78ae43bf74e8c5356e6f308b1f4--orange-cabinets-transistor-radio (resized).jpg

932b43f3d3fafb585761ed45f72573f8 (resized).jpg932b43f3d3fafb585761ed45f72573f8 (resized).jpg

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

It moved.
    73sr1YL (resized).png73sr1YL (resized).png

#84 5 years ago

Here is the thing... While I do use MP3s, if the quality is poor, I rip higher. But, if I don't notice the quality dip, then I'm fine. I do want to go to a lossless format, but the only thing I hate about mp3's is the delay between tracks. When listening to certain songs that lead into each other its distracting or listening to live albums... Also, I prefer to OWN my music. So I love cds, and most of the time it is cheaper still to get the cd than the mp3 version of the album and the cd can still come with the digital copy.
    Lastly, you DON'T OWN the digital versions you buy. You only are leasing the songs for the duration of your life or the terms put forth by the company. You can not bequeath or transfer ownership or sell your rights. Also, what happens when a company goes out of business, or merges, or just simply says that they will stop hosting your library for free... You could be sol. And lastly, you also get the file size that they choose. So in 10 years from now, when storage is even less of an issue, and you want a lossless format, you might have to buy the songs all over again. So if anyone doesn't want any cd's I'll take them... But, truthfully I own all of Dio's studio albums, all of Iron Maidens, all of Triumphs, and all but like 3 of Schenkers. Live albums are another story, I'm working on it. And I own all of AC DC's good albums... Just need one more Bon Scott album though... So not much collecting I have left... Maybe 40-50 CDs and not many must owns...

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Would love to see your touch screen jukebox documented in a thread, if you start at it again.

I doubt I would start a thread, there isn't much to setting up the software. The software I was messing around with is called Zenpoint digital center. Here's a video of some other guy showing it off:

There's a trial version, the full version is $39? He talks about buying a touchscreen from monoprice, but a 24" monitor is still going to run you $300. I bought a working 21" touch monitor for like $50 on ebay. Basically it was a hospital monitor, corner of the bezel got a crack so they sold it off. If your'e really interested, I would go download the software on your computer, use your mouse to click around, see how to setup directories and have it auto grab album art.. If you like it, you can go to the next step of finding a monitor, whatever desktop you want to use with it, and a nice amp/speaker setup.

http://www.download.zenpoint.org/Download

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I doubt I would start a thread, there isn't much to setting up the software. The software I was messing around with is called Zenpoint digital center. Here's a video of some other guy showing it off:
    » YouTube video
    There's a trial version, the full version is $39? He talks about buying a touchscreen from monoprice, but a 24" monitor is still going to run you $300. I bought a working 21" touch monitor for like $50 on ebay. Basically it was a hospital monitor, corner of the bezel got a crack so they sold it off. If your'e really interested, I would go download the software on your computer, use your mouse to click around, see how to setup directories and have it auto grab album art.. If you like it, you can go to the next step of finding a monitor, whatever desktop you want to use with it, and a nice amp/speaker setup.

That's a good idea... I just use an mp3 player hooked up to my PA system for my tunes... And the PA system has nice sound and is loud... Not hte loudest and not hte best sound, but a good mix of the two. And also what is cool, you can easily hook a laptop up to it, and plug in the mics, and you got a nice karaoke setup. I run my mics through a reverb peddle and trust me, its a really nice karaoke machine. Really happy with how versatile it is... But, I think I might do something like that in future, just to make it easier to listen and change my music. Also somethign I can remote in and connect to from other devices, so I can change the album from any room.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

While I'm here, haha, can anyone tell me how I can get my bandcamp flacs to my iPod? Fucking fuck I hate this damn thing. Never mind, best thing for it is a goddamn hammer. Done with Apple.

There's a whole classic IPod modding scene for upgrading their harddrives and firmware and such. I have a .5 TB IPod 5 coming my way ready to play FLACs. PM me for links.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Would love to see your touch screen jukebox documented in a thread, if you start at it again.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophile-music-server-project

#89 5 years ago

Careful when tossing out your old cds.

I was big into collecting underground Cali. Rap cd’s in my youth. Living in the same area as many of these guys, I would meet them in gas stations when they would be selling cd’s out the trunk to create local buzz...also buying them at local mom and pop record shops, used in many cases for only a few dollars.

So I kind of forgot about these 2 crates of cds which had been collecting dust for a couple decades...couldn’t believe it when I started looking them all up for value

Each crate is worth about a new nib premium

Here is one for instance that I have 2 copies of.

And yes, the music is pure garbage

2F125DE9-B532-4055-A544-0475E9C8DDDE (resized).png2F125DE9-B532-4055-A544-0475E9C8DDDE (resized).png

#90 5 years ago

I've been a music junkie since before I had my driver's license - first a thousand or so cassettes, then nearly four thousand CDs and a handful of vinyl records over the years for whatever reason (with no way to play them) - but then for a while there it really went all MP3/FLAC for me. Loaded up the NAS with about a terabyte of all the back catalogs of everyone I'd ever liked and all that good stuff, but I never really seemed to listen to it anymore. I still listened to my CDs in the car and I still do, but it wasn't until I got a turntable last year that I really started getting back into music the way I USED to listen to it, which is a whole album at a time. When I was a cassette kid, I never rewound them - I left them out until I had played them to the end, just like you'd leave a bookmark in a book.

This past year I probably bought two dozen CDs but easily two hundred vinyl LPs and a couple dozen 7" singles for the jukebox I'd eventually like to have. I have a closet full of various sets of high end speakers and have tried all sorts of rigs but the truth of the matter is my hearing isn't that great and getting worse, so I stay out of the sound quality argument. I do like having the digital copies and keep a nice headphone amp and a couple pairs of cans in my desk at work so I can tune out the hens, but watching the record player spin with the album cover and lyric sheet in front of me is how I fell in love with music as a child and how I'm enjoying it once again. I'm singing a lot more too, and have stretched my range back nearly to the four octaves I had before I discovered cigarettes.

I'm slowly culling out the dead weight in my CD collection and the cassettes are long gone but, like pinball, vinyl has brightened my day. CDs though, for the bulk of the population, are dead. I bought a good friend a copy of a fantastic album I knew he'd love a few months back and when I finally asked how he liked it, he admitted he didn't have a CD player anywhere in his house or cars and hadn't heard it yet.

My dad had dubbed most of his favorite records onto a reel-to-reel so not to wear them out. Maybe that's the next step I should explore.

#91 5 years ago

5C0E2062-B312-43B4-B02C-30FEA2223F1F (resized).jpeg5C0E2062-B312-43B4-B02C-30FEA2223F1F (resized).jpeg

You blew all your inheritance
    And now you're trying to pin the blame on me
    And I could write you off so easily
    Except a hundred million other people agree
    You kick and scream to get your way again
    But the writing is on the wall
    Any minute you'll go on to your reward
    Someone else is gonna make the call

In these strange negotiations
    Man they really are gettin' me down
    Strange negotiations
    Feel like a stranger in my hometown
    Strange negotiations
    You know I'm looking for a way around
    All these strange negotiations

You cut your leg off to save a buck or two
    Because you never consider the cost
    You find the lowest prices every day
    But would you look at everything that we've lost
    And yeah, it's true, I learned it from watching you
    But now it's you who doesn't know what a dollar is worth
    You got the market its own bodyguard
    And all the people are gettin' hurt

In these strange negotiations
    Man they really are gettin' me down
    Strange negotiations
    Feel like a stranger in my hometown
    Strange negotiations
    You know I'm looking for a way around
    All these strange negotiations

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I love the ease of streaming music and set my entire house up with a Sonos wireless system. Even the entryway has sound. Walk into any room now and the music follows and seamlessly flows along with me everywhere, even outdoors. Operates from an app on my phone so complete control is always with me. I even listen to the pinball podcasts this way and can multitask while moving about my entire home.
    I've been giving my CD collection away to friends and family and I sold my Rockola 100 CD Jukebox.

music cd's and video game cd's are going to be something of the past everything is going to be the streaming route

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"All Things Must Pass" is a documentary on the history of Tower Records. On Netflix and it's an awesome history of the record/cd industry as it fell into the grave.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_things_must_pass_the_rise_and_fall_of_tower_records/

This sounds interesting, but I didn't find it on Netflix.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

This sounds interesting, but I didn't find it on Netflix.

it does but i could not find it also

#95 5 years ago

It’s on Terrarium TV, I’m watching it right now.

#96 5 years ago

I'll take an album or CD any day. Just like the music itself, not a fan of this new crap. At least an album might be worth something. A true fan and collector will have hard copies.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Just like the music itself, not a fan of this new crap.

todays music is horrible and the sad part is todays singers are getting paid record amounts of money for songs that are no where near as good as the older singers-groups-songs

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

I have NOT had luck with zenpoint. It only recognizes a portion of my music, and when I retagged with picard, it recognized even less. I gave up. Takes an hour to load up too, very annoying.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Each crate is worth about a new nib premium

Here is one for instance that I have 2 copies of.

Yea but is it REALLY worth that? Discogs is an open market like ebay. Yes they want $560, but is someone really going to give them that? I'm only aware of that site because there was a bunch of albums called "edit crazy" by a local chicago DJ named Bobby D on a station that still exists today called B96 that you would likely only find locally. It was all mixed house music that I grew up with. 10 years ago you could still buy them for about $15, now there aren't any for sale. Luckily I have most of them on mp3 either by ripping what I had, or finding them on ebay.

Quoted from pinkid:

I'll take an album or CD any day

Maybe I'm not old fashioned, but I can't fathom having to fumble through CD's to find the song I'm looking for. My mp3 NAS is somewhat organized (could be better), but I have a section for full albums, then I have categories for random songs like cover songs, comedy, mashups.. it's so nice to be able to just throw a folder, or a chunk of songs into a player, and just quickly flip through songs. It's also nice to be able to simply use windows search like all songs with *dance* in the title.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cycloneman:

todays music is horrible and the sad part is todays singers are getting paid record amounts of money for songs that are no where near as good as the older singers-groups-songs

Typical old man opinion. Look around, its not all on the radio

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.