(Topic ID: 214875)

Are music CD's dead?

By Mr68

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-20 (resized).jpg
    69A5E2A2-F5DE-4437-A851-74102D87518A (resized).jpeg
    5FE9AD5D-C441-42BD-B6CF-6AF57EC5B7FC (resized).jpeg
    zzzz8 track (2) (resized).png
    zzzzzzzzz CList (resized).png
    Janacek_gramo_gypsies (resized).jpg
    zzzzzz5896848410_bb437c0467_b (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p65ykiv20r1v5i3nmo1_540.gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    MI0003416187 (resized).jpg
    mahhhxresdefault (resized).jpg
    1524098189183908704368 (resized).jpg
    9A9A9F9C-E57E-45AF-BE12-BFA6A4ACE260 (resized).png
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    UltimatePrequelleOffering_1024x1024 (resized).png

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 5 years ago

I love the ease of streaming music and set my entire house up with a Sonos wireless system. Even the entryway has sound now. Walk into any room and the music follows and seamlessly flows along with me everywhere, even outdoors. Operates from an app on my phone so complete control is always with me. I even listen to the pinball podcasts this way and can multitask while moving about my entire home.

I've been giving my CD collection away to friends and family and I sold my Rockola 100 CD Jukebox.

zzzzzzzzzzzz (resized).pngzzzzzzzzzzzz (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

CD's have died and vinyl is coming back!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 5 years ago

I prefer to have the CD's for physical property, but havent loaded a CD for ages other than to scan it to hard drive. Cloud playing is definitely the way to go.

I am no fan of paying similar pricing and getting no physical property in return. You never know when a computer will go bad.

#4 5 years ago

They're almost dead...when Best Buy and Target drop them as they're rumored to be doing shortly, the bottom will finally drop out. I have some nostalgia but streaming is basically musical wish fulfillment so I can't complain. Keep a few to amaze your grandkids

#5 5 years ago

I still buy used CDs. For me it's the cheapest way of legally owning the music. It's a lot cheaper to buy a CD then pay $.99 to $1.29 per song. I take out the CD and insert and file that into my media filing system and then put the case into a box that's in my garage.

#6 5 years ago

I've actually bought more CDs in the past 2 years than I have in the last 20.

I've been re-ripping all the music to a hi-res music player. I like streaming, but I also like the feeling of owning my music. Also, if I go on a long drive, I go through some patchy cell areas and it burns my data and battery up, so it's nice being able to have my player connected to the car.

I think in a year or two CDs will be coming back stronger, much like vinyl did.

Also, I kid you not. I saw a guy wearing a Sony Sportsman CD player at the gym just last week.

#7 5 years ago

Sound quality on cd's is USUALLY better. If you just want to hear it streaming is ok. We use Spotify blutoothed to whatever we want to listen with.

#8 5 years ago

CDs?

What are those? I'm still rocking the 8-Track.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

I think, honestly, pretty much all physical media for the masses is either dying or will be dead.

There will always be a market for physical media for "enthusiasts" or collectors though, I'd like to think. For example, I'll always buy a physical copy of a video game if I can. I also really like to have a copy of a CD I like, but 99% of the time, I'll just stream it.

#10 5 years ago

Great that you can stream from the cloud, but what's the cost?
    I don't like the idea of continually paying for access to music instead of buying it once.
    I'll continue to buy CDs until unlimited free broadband arrives.

#11 5 years ago

I've been buying all my music from iTunes for the last 18 years. All my music is on my NAS and I can stream to multiple devices using PLEX. You can connect to PLEX remotely if you wanted to but I don't have mine setup. When I'm at work or traveling I just load up my phone and bluetooth to headphones or my car.

I have no desire to go back to the CD format. But, interestingly my last CD purchase was only a few weeks ago because it was the Judas Priest British Steel 30th Anniversary that also had a DVD with it.

Maybe it's time to hit up the thrift stores for cheap CDs to rip? I haven't been thrifting in a long time so I have no idea what's out there.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I love the ease of streaming music and set my entire house up with a Sonos wireless system.

How much did that set you back? Guessing it was expensive.

I've been toying around with the idea of updating my whole audio setup. What you're describing sounds pretty sweet.

Yes CDs have been dead for years. Long live Spotify & vinyl records

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How much did that set you back? Guessing it was expensive.
    I've been toying around with the idea of updating my whole audio setup. What you're describing sounds pretty sweet.
    Yes CDs have been dead for years. Long live Spotify & vinyl records

Sonos speakers aren’t cheap but good sound quality and super easy setup (with minimal subsequent fussing) and scalability across multiple rooms are well worth it IMO. If you want to save a few bucks, keep an eye on Craigslist and pick up a set from someone upgrading to the recent redesign.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Maybe it's time to hit up the thrift stores for cheap CDs to rip? I haven't been thrifting in a long time so I have no idea what's out there.

It totally depends on the area. I pretty much do all of my major shopping online now, with thrift stores as the exception. Picked up 21 CDs two weeks ago at a garage sale for $1 each. Lots of classic stuff. It was great when Amazon would automatically send you the digital tracks to your account when you purchased any CD. They still do that for some albums, but you have to buy direct from Amazon.

#15 5 years ago

The problem with streaming music is it been compressed, and you lose quality.
    Today kids have no ideal what there missing in the music there streaming.
    You might as well just listen to FM and even that's free.

#16 5 years ago

probably dead, but so is my taste in most new music. dont plan on getting rid of my cd jukebox tho!

#17 5 years ago

I listen to most formats but I still prefer CD's. The sound quality is usually much better and there is something about actually owing the medium. While the wireless systems sound good there is really no comparison to audio separates and proper stereo speakers, at least in my humble opinion.

#18 5 years ago

I still purchase some cds. I do like to have a physical copy. My work truck has a CD player, but no auxiliary input

#19 5 years ago

The days of physical media are dead and/or still dieing out.
    It's the only thing/things that will be worth anything in the future. Or possibly survive the apocalypse.

What with future society do without working computers/Google.
    Back to cavemen it is. Sorry, cavepeople...
    Oh crap it's already started.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I still buy used CDs. For me it's the cheapest way of legally owning the music.

Now there are services like Apple Music where you can pay $10/mo and download any song right to your hard drive. No physical media to junk up the house and you legally own the songs you want. You don't even have to get the whole album. It's up for debate whether or not that's a good thing.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

CD's have died and vinyl is coming back!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you are joking or not...

I think vinyl is the best way to go right now for music purchases. You get a large version of the album artwork, and all the inserts, etc that go with it. Most of the time as well, you get a digital download card. So not only do you get a nice piece of artwork to look at and display while you play an album, but You also get a digital copy. All for under $20. Some times under $10.

Ive got a record player space for listening to records, and I have my bluetooth devices to do spotify. If I am humming or singing a song or songs off an album long enough, I feel the obligation to buy the LP.

I used to rip CDs like crazy, download like crazy, trade with other people, and store all this digital music. The organization required alone is maddening and ultimately caused me to give up on all that. Ive got about a TB of music from 1900-2015...i slowed down considerably after 2015.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

The days of physical media are dead and/or still dieing out.

Not entirely.. as someone else stated, vinyl is becoming more and more popular. We've got a nice Audio Technica turntable and I've been buying up LPs over the past few months, augmenting my collection I kept from the 80s and 90s. Playing a record is so much more satisfying than other playback methods... you get to see the included artwork and photos full-size, you can also "see" the music right in the track layout and composition, and if you have a good record and equipment, it sounds *damn* good. Much better than compressed music (MP3/WMA or streaming). I just picked up a new remastered pressing of DSoTM and I've never heard it sound better.

I have over a terabyte of music on a NAS, but the records are much more fun to play. Physical media won't die out entirely. The MP3s are great for background music when you can't attend to the player every 20-30 minutes, though!

#23 5 years ago

Also a biggest problem with streaming and purchasing online is that most only steam the "hit song"
    without a full cd/or vinyl album there is so much more music people are losing out on, and will never know.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

I listen to most formats but I still prefer CD's. The sound quality is usually much better...

There's always a couple things going on here. I don't think CDs would sound any better than any file format as long as they are the same. Obviously, MP3s are worse than cds, but downloading WAV or Flaac+ stuff CDS wouldn't be any worse than CDs

As for newer music I always think it's produced/mixed differently to sound "better" on shitty earbuds and small music players/speakers.

EDIT: I just got a CD in the mail a few days ago

#25 5 years ago

I started buying vinyl about 10 years ago, but I stopped listening to it once it started to become popular again. Why? Because I got tired of only being able to listen to 4 songs before I had to swap out the record, or flip it over.

Now, if they were to invent a way that you could play 60 minutes straight I'd go back to vinyl.

I know growing up, we used to have a record player that you could stack multiple records, and once one would get done, the next one would drop down and start playing again. But I haven't seen any new players that do that.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Now there are services like Apple Music where you can pay $10/mo and download any song right to your hard drive. No physical media to junk up the house and you legally own the songs you want. You don't even have to get the whole album. It's up for debate whether or not that's a good thing.

Don't you have to keep paying the $10 per month in order to have rights to the music? My understanding is if you stop paying you instantly loose all legal rights to the downloaded songs. Additionally if the service is terminated by Apple, you'd be in the same situation. You are paying a subscription fee to have rights to listen to those songs. The downloading gives you the ability to listen while offline, but unlike a CD it doesn't actually give you the right to keep those songs in perpetuity.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Now, if they were to invent a way that you could play 60 minutes straight I'd go back to vinyl.

stereo (resized).jpgstereo (resized).jpg
    Get one of these bad boys and you can set up a couple hours of tunes!
    EDIT, just saw you want to get a newer one.. hmm wonder if anyone makes them!

Another example for the kiddies who've never seen a changer:

4vaxlare2 (resized).jpg4vaxlare2 (resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago

Yes, I think CD's are on the way out.
    I like CD's, but won't miss them.
    I've always been into vinyl anyway.

E

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Additionally if the service is terminated by Apple

I've already been down that road with MSN Music many moons ago. I have a bunch of WMA files I can't play anymore cuz the service is no longer active. Luckily I burned a lot of that stuff to CD so I could play in the car and then ripped the CD to remove the DRM.

#30 5 years ago

To me CDs are dead. I am fully digital with flacs I just need some better portable equipment.

I am a PC guy and even my current PC has not had a blu Ray or CD player in it for over a year. One single time I needed to access a medical disk so I plugged in my blu Ray temporarily.

I'm more of an exception but yes to me they are dead. More or less.

#31 5 years ago

CD = Apple Music
    Movies = iTunes & 4K Blu-ray
    Games = ONLY PHYSICAL, except my Nintendo switch that’s all digital

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Don't you have to keep paying the $10 per month in order to have rights to the music? My understanding is if you stop paying you instantly loose all legal rights to the downloaded songs. Additionally if the service is terminated by Apple, you'd be in the same situation. You are paying a subscription fee to have rights to listen to those songs. The downloading gives you the ability to listen while offline, but unlike a CD it doesn't actually give you the right to keep those songs in perpetuity.

You do have to keep paying to listen, but the value proposition is off the charts for those who love to listen to a lot of new music or explore deep into lots of artist catalogs. For the price of about one album a month I can listen to a massive amount of music on demand. I used to spend 30-40 bucks a month on CDs to listen to the tiniest fraction of what I listen to now, and then I had to manage and sync it, which is more hassle. The only person for whom streaming doesn't make sense, to me, is the person who's basically happy with the music they already own.

#33 5 years ago

I like way vynil is back in like it never went away.

One guy I know has a great setup next thing you know a year later he owns a record store.

Music in its forms is so amazing.

#34 5 years ago

I still by CD's because its cheaper to buy a CD with 12 songs for 10.99 then to buy the hit single for 1.50-2.00. Not to mention if you ever lose your login information or any other reason you can't reach the platform you bought all your music on you lose everything. With the physical CD you can do anything you want with it at your leisure.

#35 5 years ago

I'm super old school. I've never downloaded a song before. I have, cassettes, vinyl, and cds. I love the art and the physical nature of the product and will always buy physical copies of music.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

You do have to keep paying to listen, but the value proposition is off the charts for those who love to listen to a lot of new music or explore deep into lots of artist catalogs. For the price of about one album a month I can listen to a massive amount of music on demand. I used to spend 30-40 bucks a month on CDs to listen to the tiniest fraction of what I listen to now, and then I had to manage and sync it, which is more hassle. The only person for whom streaming doesn't make sense, to me, is the person who's basically happy with the music they already own.

Sure, I think that's fair. I've signed up for Amazon Music in the past. It's nice to have that instant access to music. Because I have several Fire TVs and Echos it's pretty cool to just walk into a room and say, "Alexa play _____________". I go back and fourth about paying for it though. For that type of listening, I've had pretty good luck with Pandora. For more active listening I have my CDs and digital files from said CDs. I also don't buy much new. Most of my CDs were purchased second hand for $.99 to $3.99 each. I like that I don't need to worry about buying those songs ever again.

#37 5 years ago

Like cassettes and 8-Tracks, CDs never had the sound quality good old vinyl did, so even though a convenience in the 80s, they were pretty much doomed from the start until a more convenient method came out.

But I'm sure to some pinsiders, they are still fresh and relevant, just like the pinball machines they are buying today.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Get one of these bad boys and you can set up a couple hours of tunes!
    EDIT, just saw you want to get a newer one.. hmm wonder if anyone makes them!
    Another example for the kiddies who've never seen a changer:

Yep that big wooden cabinet one looks exactly like the one we used to have. Only ours had a liftable top, not sliding doors. My dad stripped it's guts in the 90's and is now a blanket cupboard down in the basement.

But yeah, I haven't seen any new record players that do that old way of cycling records. I'd like to get a new one that connected to my home theater. The one I have is one of those Retro styles from 10+ years ago.

#39 5 years ago

I love my CD player.

28963175-4C4F-4398-BC59-CD15CB90F179 (resized).jpeg28963175-4C4F-4398-BC59-CD15CB90F179 (resized).jpeg

#40 5 years ago

There is really only one way to get the sound quality I am looking for when driving down the road.

lawxtcY (resized).jpglawxtcY (resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago

I keep buying CD's as the sound quality is far better then the compressed versions offered by Amazon and Apple iTunes. I don't understand why Apple and iTunes don't offer uncompressed download options. Offering uncompressed music and video as a download option would result in most of the people holding onto physical media to switch over to digital.

Personally I think uncompressed downloads are not offered for music and videos by Amazon and Apple iTunes as a majority of customers buying digital only care about quality sound and picture quality to a certain extent. Good enough wins and that's why I continue to buy BluRays and CD's.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Personally I think uncompressed downloads are not offered for music and videos by Amazon and Apple iTunes as a majority of customers buying digital only care about quality sound and picture quality to a certain extent.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I try to buy things from Bandcamp now. I used to do Amazon but always refuse Apple.

#43 5 years ago

I've ripped all of my collection to mp3, ripping the last of my wife's collection. The only albums she's keeping are the really rare ones as backup. Thought about a CD jukebox for years, then thought "Why would I want to deal with mechanisms? There's no benefit". Started to build a touchscreen juke, need to get back to it. My local arcade bought a jukebox and the player failed so he replaced the entire CD mech with a hard drive direct plugin. Now not only is it reliable, but he can control it remotely from his front desk.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've ripped all of my collection to mp3,...

That was the issue with lots of us. Ripped everything to shitty mp3 when HDD space wasn't as cheap and then had to go back and re rip at higher quality

#45 5 years ago

What is the best software to rip cd's as uncompressed? I have a server with 10TB so got plenty of space. Like many others I ripped mine years ago as MP3 but would like to go to a better quality someday.

#46 5 years ago

For those who want hi-res, there's Tidal (not very popular because most people don't want to pay more for higher bit rate) and Spotify is rumored to be offering a higher-quality option for more $$.

#47 5 years ago

What is a cd?This is my latest electronic device.

20180418_012255 (resized).jpg20180418_012255 (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've ripped all of my collection to mp3, ripping the last of my wife's collection. The only albums she's keeping are the really rare ones as backup. Thought about a CD jukebox for years, then thought "Why would I want to deal with mechanisms? There's no benefit". Started to build a touchscreen juke, need to get back to it. My local arcade bought a jukebox and the player failed so he replaced the entire CD mech with a hard drive direct plugin. Now not only is it reliable, but he can control it remotely from his front desk.

Would love to see your touch screen jukebox documented in a thread, if you start at it again.

#49 5 years ago

I have basically every album/song I like from every era and every genre in digital form, all tagged. Why have any media, or why even stream? I stream from my own server, or just carry it portably.

The whole mess of 10,000 songs fits on one of these. If you had told me this back in the day when I was making cassettes from vinyl albums I would have laughed at you for 4 hours straight.

microsd (resized).jpgmicrosd (resized).jpg

#50 5 years ago

I still buy a lot of physical media. Cds, then rip em. Like others I got all my stuff at 320, I need to rip lossless. I have sonos, and spotify. But also have a quality pair of speakers and amp. Depends on what I'm in the mood for but a lot is streaming simply due to laziness. But...Society of sound downloads from bowers and wilkins uncompressed. Damn they sound good...

There are 270 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-music-cds-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.