(Topic ID: 182470)

Are 2016 Mr. Pinball prices way too low?

By Russell

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by DocFinlay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I recently reached out to a local seller who had a Hardbody. 2016 Mr. Pinball says $550. I offered to pay whatever the 2017 version says (when it comes out.)

He wouldn't even return my messages. I assume he thought this was way too low of an offer. I thought my offer was reasonable. It certainly wasn't meant to be a low ball, but I don't know. Is Mr. Pinball seen as low-ball prices across the board? Is the 2016 just way out of date? Would you expect to see dramatically higher prices when the 2017 version comes out?

What do you use for pricing information?

#2 2 years ago

Pinside says $740-$860

#3 2 years ago

That seems pretty reasonable. I would expect to see something like that when 2017 comes out. I would be fine with that.

#4 2 years ago

Boston Pinball has it under $500. Typically I don't trust any one source for prices of machines but doing some research I would say $400 to $650 would be the "buying range" on that machine if I was looking for one depending on condition. Tough title to sell so I wouldn't buy one for resale but it isn't a bad playing game if you can get past the art.

#5 2 years ago

I have that guide and I reference it quite often. It does seem that more times than not here lately it has been on the low side, so maybe a number of prices will be going up in the next issue. It depends on the manufacturer and era, though. A lot of the classic Bally and Stern games from the late 70's and early 80's have been going up and ought to be reflected in the new price guide. Also a number of Gottlieb games from the 80's and 90's even. When I see them come up for sale, the asking prices always seem higher than what the price guide says.

#6 2 years ago

Based on my experience...

If you're selling: Mr. Pinball prices are too low.

If you're buying: They're too high!

#7 2 years ago

They tend to be low; my 2015 (maybe 2014) guide had Congo well under $2k still! haha. I stopped buying them because the values of any title I wanted to price were pretty well outdated.

Hardbody in average shape is well over $500; I'd say $500 is kinda your baseline for all but the worst early solid states in respectable shape and working. With Hardbody being an alphanumeric (Even 6803, which isn't terribly desirable) I'd think $700ish would be a bare minimum for a decent working game, and I'd frankly expect to see more like $850, give or take. I don't know the Hardbody market terribly well; however, if you offered me $500 for one, I'd assume you were either lowballing or too out-of-touch to reason with. Again, I haven't read up on the price of that one, and am just giving you my gut reaction.

#8 2 years ago

I also wonder how frequently printed price guides are used anymore in any field -- seems kind of anachronistic when more plentiful and current pricing data is generally available online. Of course there's a convenience factor with a printed guide, but if the market moves around much, relying on price data from 10+ months ago can be a little dicey.

EDIT: If you were looking at the $1200 Hardbody on craigslist, maybe he felt your offer undervalued the alt translite by $600!

#9 2 years ago

C'mon guys, the 2016 Mr. Pinball price guide lists a Gottlieb Spirit at $1400! Can't get much more accurate than that!

#10 2 years ago

Prices in printed price guides are out of date before book is even published. If you really think about things the information in those books is a year or more old before book is even printed and then once that guide is a few months old prices are at least two years behind the market trends. If you read the intro to any price guide the first thing they say is "this is just a guide" (or waste of paper).

Price guides are great for reference but not for figuring out prices on machines!

#11 2 years ago

the price guide is 100% accurate...the inflated prices we pay are what is out of whack

#12 2 years ago

Price guide doesn't really help due to various degrees of the condition and mods.

#13 2 years ago

The Ontario market is so inflated that a seller could easily get $1200cdn for a hardbody. I usually take the pinside price or Boston guide price and add $500 to get a baseline.

Even EM games are selling close to $1000 here.

F-14 regularly comes up for $2000

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The Ontario market is so inflated that a seller could easily get $1200cdn for a hardbody. I usually take the pinside price or Boston guide price and add $500 to get a baseline.
Even EM games are selling close to $1000 here.
F-14 regularly comes up for $2000

Canada seems to have crazy high prices on machines compared to here in the states. I have actually had two customers drive down from Canada to grab machines from me this month and the boarder is at least 6 hours north of me here in central PA. So even if they lived right at the boarder it was a 12 hour round trip for them and I know both had some driving to do in Canada also.

Hardbody is a hard pin to sell so if buying it and you want to consider resale value in the future I wouldn't pay over $650 for one unless it was HUO or something. Like I said earlier - it isn't a bad playing machine if you can get past the backglass art but it is a tough sell at any price.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Canada seems to have crazy high prices on machines compared to here in the states. I have actually had two customers drive down from Canada to grab machines from me this month and the boarder is at least 6 hours north of me here in central PA. So even if they lived right at the boarder it was a 12 hour round trip for them and I know both had some driving to do in Canada also.

I don't doubt this at all, it's not uncommon for us to travel 12 hour round trip for a pin, and that's just because of the slim pickings in the province.

Even with the dollar conversion and shipping costs, it's not unrealistic to save $1000 buying from the USA. For example I had a friend looking around for a NBA fast break, one sold here for $4500 (cdn) that he missed out on. In some states you could get that game for $2500 (usd). Shipping is ~$500us. Taxes is ~$500 more. .....almost worth the drive.

#16 2 years ago

Nevermind. I think I know what happened. I ran into a flipper.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I recently reached out to a local seller who had a Hardbody. 2016 Mr. Pinball says $550.

Mr Pinball is $650 too high.

1 year later
#18 1 year ago

A little self-promotion here, but to check out where prices really are over the last 24 months go to www.PinballPrices.com (with a 's' - NOT the other guys that have been down for 2 years). All the sales are verified and have a direct link to that sale! eBay is about half the database of 700 sales (updated DAILY) but the other half are online and onsite auction sales that I have pulled. Prices do not reflect sales within the "pinball community" - private sales that I have no way to actually verify.

The database is powered by AirTable and searchable in desktop view, scan-able in mobile. Let me know what you think and how I can improve the site.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

A little self-promotion here, but to check out where prices really are over the last 24 months go to http://www.PinballPrices.com (with a 's' - NOT the other guys that have been down for 2 years). All the sales are verified and have a direct link to that sale! eBay is about half the database of 700 sales (updated DAILY) but the other half are online and onsite auction sales that I have pulled. Prices do not reflect sales within the "pinball community" - private sales that I have no way to actually verify.
The database is powered by AirTable and searchable in desktop view, scan-able in mobile. Let me know what you think and how I can improve the site.

Im not very bright, but i was looking for a search option (mobile), i didnt see one, but like i said, im not very bright. I like it though, everything you need, condition, fees, total price.

Edit: i just saw you wrote scanable for mobile

1 month later
#20 10 months ago

www.PinballPriceS.com It's been update and optimized for mobile now. Almost 600 titles and well over 1000 sales. The mobile version shows yearly averages (and number of sales) while the desktop version shows details on every sale. This site is updated on a daily basis! Only verified sales are included with links to the actual sale site. Pinball values can be easily tracked. Check it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 13.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 137.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside