(Topic ID: 233214)

Are mid 70s Gottlieb lock bars unobtainium?

By Jeffery

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

070068D4-0004-4307-9533-E60B038238A6 (resized).png
    20190106_183227 (resized).jpg
    20190106_183240 (resized).jpg
    20190106_183148 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Going to look at a Spirit of 76 tomorrow. The lock bar and glass is missing. The only bar that my internet search is currently turning up is at JT amusements. It is used and priced at $150. Does anyone know if PBR will get another run of these? From my research, part# seems to be GTB D-14008A
    This would be my first EM. Should I steer clear?

#2 5 years ago

I could of helped but sold it on EBay recently. $90. They do turn up. Got to be patient.

#3 5 years ago

What are they asking for the game? From a financial standpoint, most EMs are a tough sell at $500 and above, so subtract the cost of the glass (not hard to find, but just inconvenient to get), and the cost of a lockdown bar (which are not easy to come by) from what you believe the value is. You don’t want to be underwater on the game, especially when Gottlieb made boat loads of Spirits of 76s and it’s not hard to find another.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks. They want $400 I am definitely not going full price. We will see how the rest of the game looks.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffery:

Going to look at a Spirit of 76 tomorrow. The lock bar and glass is missing. The only bar that my internet search is currently turning up is at JT amusements. It is used and priced at $150. Does anyone know if PBR will get another run of these? From my research, part# seems to be GTB D-14008A
    This would be my first EM. Should I steer clear?

PBR will not restock these. Options, convert to fin style or use a early 70s bar. You will eventually find the right bar for $100-125 etc.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks pinhead52, still have the bar sold me on my Volley.

#7 5 years ago

Jeffery ask Pinsiders Racingpin, ibuypinballs and too-many-pins if they have one. I’m sure that one of them will

#8 5 years ago

Add paintpins to the list as well. He was able to dig out a hard to find backbox door for me a little while back. He may have what you’re looking for.

#9 5 years ago

if you are talking about the standard with button [round screws} type I have a couple of those that are slightly different but the buttons and the width are the same.
    I could part with one if thats all you need at the moment. THrow me a message with a pic and we can see if I have the one you need. They ended up with me because they came on games I redid and they got new bars so these are very much spares to me.
    Let me know!

#10 5 years ago

If you are very patient, good with your hands and have lots of previous experience/education with other electrical and mechanical machines, then buying a fixer-upper for your first pin is a good move.

Otherwise, I personally recommend paying hundreds more for a fully working and complete one as your first pin. Often this can end up being cheaper in the end anyway and has a higher chance of starting off you entry into this hobby with more fun instead of frustrations.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, this is a very helpful group. I will make some contacts if I am able to close a deal on the machine today.

spinal Not my first pin but would be my first EM, and I am very mechanically and electrically savvy, so these machines do not intimidate me.

Great group here! Thanks for making a newby feel welcome.

#12 5 years ago

I have these 2 seventies lock down bars available. One is free of dents and really nice. The other has a couple of relatively minor imperfections. PM me if anyone is interested.

20190106_183148 (resized).jpg20190106_183148 (resized).jpg20190106_183227 (resized).jpg20190106_183227 (resized).jpg20190106_183240 (resized).jpg20190106_183240 (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I have these 2 seventies lock down bars available. One is free of dents and really nice. The other has a couple of relatively minor imperfections. PM me if anyone is interested.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice that you are offering these, I think the point here is the button style are very rare.... roughly speaking, button style were made for three years, shark fin style made for 8 maybe 10 years?

#14 5 years ago

Would it be easier to change over to the fin style? I have found receivers and bars available. This seems like it could be the more economical way to go.
    That being said, I have not given up the search for a button style bar.
    Thoughts?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffery:

Would it be easier to change over to the fin style? I have found receivers and bars available. This seems like it could be the more economical way to go.
    That being said, I have not given up the search for a button style bar.
    Thoughts?

Generally speaking, yes, converting both the receiver and the bar to the shark fin style is much more affordable and provides the same appearance as the original.

#16 5 years ago

I know Steve said he’ll never make the button-style bars again. My understanding is the up-front cost to bankroll the tooling with a new fabricator is prohibitive. That said, I’d certainly pay $250-350 for a shiny new bar if a nice game was missing one.

#17 5 years ago

Didn't realize they were a bit of a problem to find. Jeeze.
    Got ya covered here Jeff, sent you a Pm

#18 5 years ago

A big thanks to brother weeze . He came through for me at a fair price. Problem solved, "until the next part that I can't find".

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

I know Steve said he’ll never make the button-style bars again. My understanding is the up-front cost to bankroll the tooling with a new fabricator is prohibitive. That said, I’d certainly pay $250-350 for a shiny new bar if a nice game was missing one.

My understanding is there are four dies needed to make the lockdown bar. He has three of them. The fourth went missing and that's the issue.

#20 5 years ago

It’s out there right now on eBay. Snooze you loose. Seems fair.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

My understanding is there are four dies needed to make the lockdown bar. He has three of them. The fourth went missing and that's the issue.

Son-of-a-gun. That die is probably hiding with all its missing kids.

#22 5 years ago

A steal on ebay, mid 70's button style $99

ebay.com link: GOTTLIEB EARLY LOCKDOWN BAR FOR PINBALL MACHINE

So Jeffery you just needed to wait a little longer

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

A steal on ebay, mid 70's button style $99

The guy selling that lockdown bar was an operator in my area back in the day. I picked up a game last year with his old business card in the coin box.

#24 5 years ago

Screwed up! Oh well.

070068D4-0004-4307-9533-E60B038238A6 (resized).png070068D4-0004-4307-9533-E60B038238A6 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-mid-70s-gottlieb-lock-bars-unobtainium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.