(Topic ID: 166256)

Are lollipop rails avalible for games with extra buttons.

By Mitch

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mitch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm picking up a sst soon and would like to put lollipop rails on it. Problem is that it has 2 flipper buttons on the right. Does anyone make custom rails for something like this?

#2 7 years ago

I've been looking for them for The Shadow and Party Animal, and came up empty for the same reason.

#3 7 years ago

Ya that's what i figured. too bad

#4 7 years ago

why can't you just drill a new one?

#5 7 years ago

If I drill a new one it will chip off the black powder coating and without the proper machine to make the hole it will be very hard if not impossible to line up the new hole with the flipper button hole

#6 7 years ago

Now if someone on here has a machine shop or a good way to cut one and owns a sst I'd gladly pay them for there time. only the right side has a extra button.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

If I drill a new one it will chip off the black powder coating and without the proper machine to make the hole it will be very hard if not impossible to line up the new hole with the flipper button hole

It seems like if you tape over the section of the rail being drilled and use a fine-enough blade it won't chip it. That won't fix the problem of the metal on the inside of the circular cut area being bare, but a paint-pen would probably make that look fine.

#8 7 years ago

This can't be that difficult. If the main flipper button holes are in the correct location, put the rail on the game, scribe the location of the extra button hole from inside the cabinet, remove the rail, center punch the middle of the scribed circle, protect the outside face with tape, cut out with a hole saw, file the sharp edges smooth. The button is bigger than the hole and will hide any imperfections. Of coarse if you've never used a hole saw, this is probably not the project for you, without some practice on scrap steel. The main thing is to run the hole saw slow. A drill press and cutting oil helps. This also assumes that there is enough steel in the lollipop for the location of the extra button.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

This can't be that difficult. If the main flipper button holes are in the correct location, put the rail on the game, scribe the location of the extra button hole from inside the cabinet, remove the rail, center punch the middle of the scribed circle, protect the outside face with tape, cut out with a hole saw, file the sharp edges smooth. The button is bigger than the hole and will hide any imperfections. Of coarse if you've never used a hole saw, this is probably not the project for you, without some practice on scrap steel. The main thing is to run the hole saw slow. A drill press and cutting oil helps. This also assumes that there is enough steel in the lollipop for the location of the extra button.

Hmmm I may have to try this. I have a drill press and a hole saw

#10 7 years ago

We cut lollipop rails from our SST when we had it. Just used a hole cutting bit. Didnt chip any of the powdercoat, takes some time but looks great once done.

#11 7 years ago

You could also get a chrome set and wouldn't have to worry about the powder coat but that's more expensive.

There is also some rattle can bedliner/textured paint that may help.

#12 7 years ago

You might want to make a wooden template that matches the locations of the buttons and insure its perfectly aligned on your game first. Then use that as your guide to drill the new hole rather than trying to line it up manually. This might give you better results unless your confident that you can get the button's location exactly right.

#13 7 years ago

Ok next question where is the best place to buy lollipop rails.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Ok next question where is the best place to buy lollipop rails.

I was just looking at Cointaker and Pinball Life. Pinball Life's are cheaper and in stock. Cointaker has chrome.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

We cut lollipop rails from our SST when we had it. Just used a hole cutting bit. Didnt chip any of the powdercoat, takes some time but looks great once done.

Which rails did you buy? The pinball life ones say stern 1999 and newer. Do they fit sst?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-lollipop-rails-avalible-for-games-with-extra-buttons?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.