Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-296.jpg
    image-482.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

If your installing leds in your machines, do you find they are hindering your scores, or making the game better score wise? I still think some pins are overbearing when fully led out. I thought this of Sterns latest 2 pins , but after playing Metallica and Star Trek , I like the look and my scores were not too terrible . As I mentioned some games just blind you......

What are your thoughts??

#2 10 years ago

They make light, and I can see better.
    ( I think)

#3 10 years ago

All my machines get the led make over. Inserts, GI and flashers...I love them.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

If your installing leds in your machines, do you find they are hindering your scores, or making the game better score wise? I still think some pins are overbearing when fully led out. I thought this of Sterns latest 2 pins , but after playing Metallica and Star Trek , I like the look and my scores were not too terrible . As I mentioned some games just blind you......
    What are your thoughts??

I hated LEDs until I saw how Stern was doing it, then I converted all of my games lol...and I actually did find myself playing a lot better. Why? I dunno..maybe just the excitement of my old games looking new and modern somehow help me play better.

#5 10 years ago

I don't care what anyone says, if you put LEDs into a game that was not designed for LEDs and introduce flicker and strobe making the ball harder to see the scores will go down. Plain and simple. Games that were designed for LEDs that don't flicker and strobe like WoZ or ACDC won't hurt scores.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I don't care what anyone says, if you put LEDs into a game that was not designed for LEDs and introduce flicker and strobe making the ball harder to see the scores will go down. Plain and simple. Games that were designed for LEDs that don't flicker and strobe like WoZ or ACDC won't hurt scores.

Another thing was the ball seemed to streak across the playfield.

Quoted from chad:If your installing leds in your machines, do you find they are hindering your scores, or making the game better score wise? I still think some pins are overbearing when fully led out. I thought this of Sterns latest 2 pins , but after playing Metallica and Star Trek , I like the look and my scores were not too terrible . As I mentioned some games just blind you......
    What are your thoughts??

Another thing was the ball seemed to streak across the playfield. An effect like a strobing light at a Haunted House

#7 10 years ago

I recently bought an AFM that was LED'd out. I did not like them one bit. I replaced them all with old school incandescents.

#8 10 years ago

I've found that I play best in absolute darkness with all GI and Insert illumination removed, relying solely on the force.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

I've found that I play best in absolute darkness with all GI and Insert illumination removed, relying solely on the force.

A true Tommy at work....

#10 10 years ago

If Tommy was the best player ever and he didn't even need lights on the playfield, that says a tremendous amount about this debate, now doesn't it?

#11 10 years ago

It's certainly easier to see what inserts are active and/or flashing.

#12 10 years ago

Personally I play better. I like the look, enjoy my game more and therefore tend to feel more involved with the machine, hence increasing my scores.

And another thing, whenever I give my games a fresh wax or a cool little mod upgrade I always end up having kick ass games soon after and setting high scores. As crazy as it sounds it's the truth.

#13 10 years ago

Tried them in NGG. Hated them. Returned them. Won't do it again.

#14 10 years ago

I'm not a fan, I won't led any of my games, I like the look of the regular 'ol bulbs. To each there own....

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

If Tommy was the best player ever and he didn't even need lights on the playfield, that says a tremendous amount about this debate, now doesn't it?

Deaf, dumb and blind guy---expert at playin' pinball---I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. lol

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Deaf, dumb and blind guy---expert at playin' pinball---I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. lol

Dude, there's a whole movie about it. Ike Turner's ex-wife is even in it.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Dude, there's a whole movie about it. Ike Turner's ex-wife is even in it.

lol---He played her like an old Bally

#18 10 years ago

lol---He played her like an old Bally

Whoa, you've seen that movie too!

#19 10 years ago

I just LED'd out Flash and Time Warp and I feel like I can finally see the game and the awesome colors in the playfield plastics....There are a few playfield inserts that I left incandescent since they were clear and LED looked like crap in there. I have the games setup so there is no bright light in your eyes... I used quite a few "Ablaze Premium Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LED #44/47 Bayonet Base Lamp With Flexible 90° Angle Leads" from Pinball Life when the normal bayonet base light would blind you. There are no lights in your eyes and the games look amazing.... If I didnt use those 90° Angle Leads I would have been able to LED out the game to my liking and that was my concern at first with LEDs but when I finally gave it a chance I was surprised how much I liked it. Used the "Ablaze 4-SMD-LED #44/47 Bayonet Base Lamp" for rest of playfield and inserts... The " Ablaze Premium Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LED #555 Wedge Base Lamp With Clear Dome" look really good behind the back glass.... Fun stuff!!!

#20 10 years ago

And yes.. I feel I can see better now and thus play better... did take a few games to get used too and little weird when I switch back to game that has no LED's...

#21 10 years ago

I don't think anyone here is ">Deaf, dumb and blind guy---" although after buying a real turd of a game, I fall into the *dumb* category.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from danczaz:

I just LED'd out Flash and Time Warp and I feel like I can finally see the game and the awesome colors in the playfield plastics....There are a few playfield inserts that I left incandescent since they were clear and LED looked like crap in there. I have the games setup so there is no bright light in your eyes... I used quite a few "Ablaze Premium Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LED #44/47 Bayonet Base Lamp With Flexible 90° Angle Leads" from Pinball Life when the normal bayonet base light would blind you. There are no lights in your eyes and the games look amazing.... If I didnt use those 90° Angle Leads I would have been able to LED out the game to my liking and that was my concern at first with LEDs but when I finally gave it a chance I was surprised how much I liked it. Used the "Ablaze 4-SMD-LED #44/47 Bayonet Base Lamp" for rest of playfield and inserts... The " Ablaze Premium Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LED #555 Wedge Base Lamp With Clear Dome" look really good behind the back glass.... Fun stuff!!!

Butterflygirl did it in her Star Light and that did look nice. As did Joust.

#23 10 years ago

my games made more money on location with LEDs... average of 50-100% more/week earnings after converting...

people seem to like them a lot

I personally love them

have no machines with incandescents

#24 10 years ago

Led'ing is an art. A mixture of all lighting technologies combined makes for better results all round.

Yes, scores are affected at first, but play them enough and you learn to time the ball just as easy as with normal bulbs imo. Strobing is an issue for me on some tables where certain bulbs/flashers are right in your face as it makes my eyes spasm a little when trying to focus

Anyone tried out the LED OCD board yet?

#25 10 years ago

Love the LEDs. They make me a better player, and person.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Love the LEDs. They make me a better player, and person.

With LED's I can see what I am missing, literally.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Flicker and strobe? Haven't you heard of the new led's that don't do that. My Fireball Classic used to do that until I put the new ones in it then it was fine.

#28 10 years ago

Hindering

#29 10 years ago

Don't we all get enough Pinball Wizard jokes outside of the hobby? Uggg.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Don't we all get enough Pinball Wizard jokes outside of the hobby? Uggg.

You mean after someone finds out you like pinball they call you a pinball wizard too. No way

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from jsauce85:

You mean after someone finds out you like pinball they call you a pinball wizard too. No way

Crap! See above^^

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I recently bought an AFM that was LED'd out. I did not like them one bit. I replaced them all with old school incandescents.

AFM has been here 5 years.It's LED free - never had the urge.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Tried them in NGG. Hated them. Returned them. Won't do it again.

Had them in it also. Too blinding with the light show.Had to tone it down a lot,but still kept some.That's the beauty with light emitting diodes,everyone can find their sweet spot.

#33 10 years ago

Warm white LEDS for inserts and accents, regular bulbs for GI.

LEDS in inserts look better, and I often can better see what to shoot for (e.g., which mode is lit). LEDS also produce little heat which, being so close to them, is a huge benefit.

GI has enough airflow to limit the heat issue. And you can always drop down to 47 bulbs to reduce the heat without much light loss. And the warm glow of them for GI is much easier on the eyes than LEDs.

#34 10 years ago

Changing the route games from incandescent GI to LED, the best thing we could do. Connectors, blown bulbs, melting plastics, wasted power... all tremendous problematic characteristic of incandescents. I absolutely LOVE the look (I grew up with incandescent games) but in a route environment they are not sustainable. We use Pinball Bulbs warm white frosted LEDs now, and I can't say I'm thrilled (wish they had a warmer and more consistent color temperature) but it's the closest replacement we have right now with the best light spread.

I'm sure gonna miss this:

image-482.jpgimage-482.jpg
    image-296.jpgimage-296.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-leds-helping-your-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.