• Latest reply 8 years ago by agodfrey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fullpfL.jpg
jpark-de-pd-fs-vp9-mod-wip80-resized.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just thinking about it the past few days. And I should start out saying that TAF and TZ (esp TZ) are really cool well done games. But are they really 2-3x more game than say WCS94, JM, or Congo (wide range I know). These games seems to go for 2k-2.5k or SO. TAF and TZ seem to go for 5k-6k. I've had a discussion with my wife about getting a TZ a few times and we always come to the same conclusion.....there are enough 1k-2.5k games out there we like that it's hard to justifying selling 2-4 games to buy one.

To me it's a market thing. NOT a supply thing.....these are two of the most produced games ever. They are EVERYWHERE. Here are the Pinside owner numbers:

TAF (1118)
TAF Gold (145)
TZ (1549)

While......
Congo (223)
WCS (492)
JM (309)

So there are plenty to go around, no supply issue... not looking for a fight, just start a discussion on how these prices could be defended outside of pure market value. Which is cool. When I bought my JM I looked at the market to tell me what's fair and when I go to sell I'll do the same thing. Just thinkin'. Are there really three times the modes, toys, and fun?

Maybe you can convince me....

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If *you* can't justify the extra cost, we sure can't justify it for you.

I was looking for a little discussion on what you like about the games. Also if TAF suddenly fell in value to say.....$2.5k how mad would you be... I suppose if it was a keeper thats one thing, sure 10k all day but if you buy it just to sell it later....that's a lot of cash tied up.

Just wondering friends. It's a forum. Let's have some dialog. It's more of an abstract thought experiment than a convincing....

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If TZ fell in price I wouldn't care, doesn't change why I own it.

Very telling. And I can see that. Fun fun game. Cool.

#10 8 years ago

This all kinda came up with the MMR thing. A lot of people felt they were burned because the investment they made in MM got cut, we'll see how much. I do A LOT of driving and listening to podcasts and just thought these two games would make a good discussion starter.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

If I had a choice between an Addams and a Wrestlemania, I'd go with Addams. Both are similar in price. It's all relative.

I would agree as well. Addams is a lot more.....fun...and engaging.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

My TAF will never leave so I care not the going rate for it any longer. It's a fun game with great call out. Our friends love it and so does the wife and I. It's just fun, plain and simple.

For a lot of people TAF holds a lot of nostalgia. Same goes for TZ. For some people that was their golden age. For some Gorgar was their golden age for them....lucky ducks!!!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Huh?
A "supply thing" is part of the "market thing".
There is this other side to the market called "demand."

Yes supply and demand. TAF had something like......7x the amount of games produced than JM. Supply is WAY there...and demand might be there but there is 7X (or so) the amount of games. The way supply and demand works is when there is a shortage in supply the price goes up...right?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

it's because TZ and TAF are widely considered to be two of the best pins ever made

I agree. I guess my REAL question is why do you guys like them? What draws you in and makes you feel it's that much more of a game?

Quoted from RobT:

Both are better than the other 3 you compare them to

What do you like the best when comparing these B listers to the A listers?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No, you keep getting hung up on supply!
The demand is more than enough to make up for the supply in this case, or the market value would come down.
There could be 100,000 TZ's made, but if there are 150,000 people that want one....

Right. I see the demand. But what about it makes it 7x more desirable?

Quoted from Rarehero:

Also theme. People have way more nostalgic love for Addams & TZ

Yeah theme could be a big one. I agree that the 'universal-ness of TAF helped it be as popular as it was in it's original run. And maybe what helped TZ but really the depth is what keeps it interesting to people now. Back in it's day it was a flop because it was too deep, ha. Sometimes the biggest flaw can help make something immortal....

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

addams and TZ are pure pat lawlor goodness. 2 of the best games period. Awesome theme integration and perfect balance of retro and fun with awesome sounds and play.

PL is pretty amazing. I love me some FH and Whirlwind!!!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

It seems to me that it all comes down to individual preference. I have TZ and TAF, but find that I prefer the machines I grew up playing (i.e., Fireball, Wizard) than the DMD games I own.
Greg

Lucky duck......I have a friend who is really into gottlieb EMs....he has a TONNE of them......much easier to amass

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

tz is number one or 2 always for a reason it's a killer game. taf is also great but if I could have jst one tz is it.

OK...well can someone talk about why its killer, why its top of the tops, what it has over that b titles. Talk about why you keep coming back to it, why it was worth 2-3 b titles.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Krankypants:

This sounds like a great question, but at the end of the day the answer will not help you in any way.

Thanks it is subjective. Like trying to take hold of the wind. Like trying to remember your dreams.

#33 8 years ago

BTW...I've played both of these games way way way more than 20 times. These were my golden age games. That and T2...but we ain't talkin about t2 are we..ha

#34 8 years ago

Maybe I should have asked why is PL so damn good??

#44 8 years ago

Yeah...theme does help a lot. But us pinheads know that game play keeps ya coming back.

#46 8 years ago

Maybe a good question for some of the old blood here.. Would you buy it today? I know some of you out there got your game for 2k. Now that it's way more...would you dive in? Its easy to say its worth it when you're on the right side of the coin

#49 8 years ago

New York...the town of Mario!

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

If you played both and still don't know maybe you should just get that wcs or Congo or Roy Clark

Thank you!! I was looking for someone to make it ok for me to get the Roy Clark Cocktail instead of TZ....phew..... weight...off...my...shoulders

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

TZ I would consider alot of bang for the buck as well since it can be had faded for 5k and plays as good as if not better than some of the 7-8k games like MM, AFM, ToTAN, CV.

I too have started to see that. TZ and TAF do have something special over those titles. Great insight on the rest Nick. Thanks!

#106 8 years ago

I love all this input and dialog! They are indeed two of the most popular games.

1 week later
#136 8 years ago

You guys...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 29.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-games-like-taf-and-tz-worth-it?tu=agodfrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.