Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BestShot31
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-106.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I've seen a number of ads listing flyers for sale for particular machines pop up regularly, often for $10-$20 each.

What do you actually end up doing with them? It seems like a lot of money for something like this.

Is it simply another piece of memorabilia to collect?

#2 9 years ago

Guilty of buying these

I like anything promo related for my games, Flyers, Keychains, "lost" plastics and other items like that,
    I keep it all with the manuals etc in the games folder,

#3 9 years ago

any one can collect anything they want
    I have a small collection of flyers, I prefer the flyers for EM games
    but I am not planning on buying more

#4 9 years ago

I have flyers for all the games I own in a binder. If I had room in my gameroom I would frame and hang them.

I also have a few hundred other flyers and enjoy looking at them from time to time.

#5 9 years ago

I've been collecting flyers since I started collecting in 1988, but it wasn't until the 1996 Pinball Fantasy show in Vegas that I realized that they were actually worth money!! I used to staple them to the wall!!

Since then I've accumulated several binders full, keep them in chronological order by manufacturer, makes for a very interesting pictorial history of pinball. Mainly stick with games starting in the SS era, for EM's there are simply too many different versions and countries, makes completing any sort of collection almost impossible, (not to mention expensive!!)

Like the games they represent, the flyers are like pieces of history, indicative of their time and place, some are even quite creative.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Since then I've accumulated several binders full, keep them in chronological order by manufacturer, makes for a very interesting pictorial history of pinball.

That would be cool as a published book actually. I could spend hours reading them all.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen a number of ads listing flyers for sale for particular machines pop up regularly, often for $10-$20 each.
    What do you actually end up doing with them? It seems like a lot of money for something like this.
    Is it simply another piece of memorabilia to collect?

image-106.jpgimage-106.jpg

My gameroom is covered in framed flyers. Looks cool.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Since then I've accumulated several binders full, keep them in chronological order by manufacturer, makes for a very interesting pictorial history of pinball.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

That would be cool as a published book actually. I could spend hours reading them all.

As editor of Pinball Magazine I've been thinking about doing a series of books like that. However, it seems there may not be enough demand for a normal print run. Plus there are some odd shaped flyers that can't be included as such a book like that. Then again, it would be a fun trip down memory lane.

#9 9 years ago

I frame flyers for every machine I own or have owned. As machines leave, the flyer stays, so I build a Wall of History.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

As editor of Pinball Magazine I've been thinking about doing a series of books like that. However, it seems there may not be enough demand for a normal print run. Plus there are some odd shaped flyers that can't be included as such a book like that. Then again, it would be a fun trip down memory lane.

I don't know, you should post separately and see if people would be seriously interested. I would love an oversized (or at least original to the size of the flyers) book with all of them in there.

#11 9 years ago

Why buy them? You can download them, print out on 8x10 photo paper, frame and hang.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #12 9 years ago

I would like to have one for all the games in my collection. If anyone is selling these reasonably I would be interested in acquiring them.

#13 9 years ago

I keep all mine in a ringbinder. Its just cool to look through them every now and then to see the selling points of the "newest" machines when they came out.

#14 9 years ago

I have original flyers for all the games I own (if there was a flyer made for it. There are several that did not have large enough runs to have a flyer made.) When I get a chance I have the designer and team sign them. I have them all in a 3 ring binder in the plastic sleeves in chronological order. I also have quite a few others from games that I don't own that were given to me by various folks down the road...they are also in my binder, not really in order, (I need to go through it and organize it just not gotten a chance)
    Some of the flyers have added things to them to make an aspect of the game stand out. Gorgar is one that has a 45 record with it that has the speech calls from the game since it was the first game with speech. Some of the others I have are odd shaped or have a shape that pertains to the game...Jungle Lord and Pharaoh and Alien Poker are a few that I can think of off the top of my head that have odd shapes. Many of them are multiple pages as well.
    I just like to have them as a kind of history of my collection and a piece of pinball history in general.

Phoebe

#15 9 years ago

I will take them if they are free. I always say that someday I will mount them on my wall. Someday.

#16 9 years ago

Goddamnit, who's got these for sale for mostly 90s machines...?

Thanks everyone... another way to spend money for things to store

#17 9 years ago

Some are cool with pop outs, such as IJ.

I'll grab fliers if the art "art worthy". But some are pretty bad, IMHO.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Why buy them? You can download them, print out on 8x10 photo paper, frame and hang.

image.jpg 201 KB

Where can they be downloaded from please?

#19 9 years ago

I bring my flyers to the Chicago Expo show to get them autographs. Each year on Saturday afternoon at the Chicago Expo show they have about 15 to 20 pinball designers invited to do autographs. Over the years I have accumulate a large number of flyers that have been autographs by pinball designers and most of machines in my collection have flyers that have been autographs. Also I have given friends flyers of machine they own that have been autograph, it's a nice cheap gift and they seem to appreciate it.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Here's the best site I know of, all flyers in 300 dpi resolution.

http://flyers.cdyn.com/pingames/index.html

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Lots of places, but start here: ipdb.org

For newer stern games, they are on their website.

#22 9 years ago

Never was into the flyer collecting thing myself. All though I do have some scattered around on the walls here and there but there mainly just to fill in the empty spots until I get something much more cooler and not so "common or generic" if you will.
    I sell a boat load of them at the three shows I do, PATZ , Chicago Expo and the Ohio show. All of them are priced the same no matter what ( with no quantity discounts ) they are which is $5 each. I find that anything more then that and people generally wont buy them and since I have so many it makes things easier and I can get rid of them faster. And no I dont have a list of the ones I have for sale, I dont want to bother selling them other then at the shows...shipping is a hassle.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Its just cool to look through them every now and then to see the selling points of the "newest" machines when they came out.

Actually there haven't been any selling points on flyers for quite a few years. Where flyers were used to get operator's attention, and promised good earnings, that angle has been dropped long time ago...

#24 9 years ago

I like to get a flyer for every machine that makes its way through my collection. Its a nice memory of what's seen action.

#25 9 years ago

I thought this was going to be about hockey talk.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-flyers-really-that-desirable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.