(Topic ID: 30177)

Are Drops Over-rated?

By TheFamilyArcade

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Drop Targets Over Rated?”

• Totally. Who needs'em? In fact they slow down the game. 3 votes
      3%
    • Hell no! Drops RULE! 73 votes
      63%
    • Somewhere in between but leaning towards like drops in my games. 26 votes
      22%
    • Somewhere in between but leaning towards prefering stand-ups in my games. 5 votes
      4%
    • I could care less. I just wanna play pinball bitch! 9 votes
      8%

(116 votes)

#1 11 years ago

When I started playing pins in the 70's I lived for drop targets. They were just so much fun to shoot. You always knew exactly where you stood with them and typically, a majority of important game objectives (EB, Special) revolved around them. Nowadays, the biggest thrills in games revolve around ramp shots and bash toys and magnet captures and DMD animations and sound. While targets are important in games, it's not like the targets themselves stand out as the major attraction or feature.

Despite the recent resurgence of drop targets in games, DMD games have definitely relied more on stand-ups. And I find myself not caring at all. When I forst got back into pinball a few years ago I hated this. Where were my beloved drops? But now, when I play a game with drop targets their almost anti-climactic. Almost quaint. In CSI, which I own, they add zero to the game IMO. And in, in fact, once in a blue moon they trap the ball if they pop up at the exact time the ball is over that specific spot. For nostalgia sake, I'm glad I have one new machine that has them...but really, I don't mind the stand-up targets at all. Anybody feel the same?

Now, one major caveat to this are in-lines. I still think that in-line drop targets are one of the coolest features ever in pinball. We need more new games with them!

#2 11 years ago

Drops were so cool back in the day, because alot of games had nothing else fancy going on...now games have toys, ramps, etcetc,, so having drops isn't so great...I still love them though..

#3 11 years ago

I love drop targets......the more the better (it's what makes WPT such a good game)

#4 11 years ago

Drops are more satisfying to hit than spot targets. They actually do something mechanical, which is why pinball IMO is so cool.....

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Drops are more satisfying to hit than spot targets.

Agree.

#6 11 years ago

In-line drops are even cooler...!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

In-line drops are even cooler...!

Heck Yes!!!! I wish Stern would put some in-line drops in one of there next games.
    I hope your reading this Stern.

#8 11 years ago

In-line drop targets are one of the reasons I want a Future Spa.

#9 11 years ago

I loved inlines on Globetrotters and Wheel of Fortune.....

I just think drops are okay until you sweep a bank of them on one shot, and then they are AWESOME....

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I loved inlines on Globetrotters and Wheel of Fortune.....
    I just think drops are okay until you sweep a bank of them on one shot, and then they are AWESOME....

Space shuttle rocks for that, sweep all three drops and make the spinner fly in one shot.

#11 11 years ago

Played a King Pin growing up that my Grandpa owned at his house. Those ten pin drops in the center are awesome!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Space Shuttle rocks for that, sweep all three drops and make the spinner fly in one shot.

1st one that came to mind for me too... I just picked up my 3rd SS this past Saturday....

Pinbot and Jackbot both have satisfying sweeps too..

#13 11 years ago

Drops are not overrated and either are spinners...more more more

#14 11 years ago

Love drop targets!!! They should be featured more in the newer pins!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Space Shuttle rocks for that, sweep all three drops and make the spinner fly in one shot.

Hell yes, that is one of the most satisfying shots in pinball.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

In-line drop targets are one of the reasons I want a Future Spa.

In line drops is one of the reasons I own Future Spa.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

In line drops is one of the reasons I own Future Spa

For sure!!!! what a great game that is. I love inline drops like that on Fathom and Black Pyramid. Would love to see them bad in todays games

#18 11 years ago

The Pinbot sweep is another satisfying shot....Need more cowbell, I mean drop targets!

#19 11 years ago

Part of the reason I own Paragon, Hot Shot, Harlem Globetrotters, Target Alpha, Black Hole, Cactus Jacks.

Mutha Drop Targets.

So good.

#20 11 years ago

16 drops on WPT and the ability to hit all three banks in one shot = super cool. Drops give a sense of accomplishment that targets do not.

#21 11 years ago

The drops on Black Pyramid are pretty cool.

#22 11 years ago

I suppose drop targets were great in the day when all games had a couple orbits, 3 pop bumpers in the center, and nothing but targets scattered about. The drop target sound of the target dropping probably served to wake the player up from his boredom induced nap lol. Then the ramp was invented, toys were added - now a days, its pretty much no biggie.

#23 11 years ago

Drops that are placed well are great. Banks that you can "sweep" with a well placed shot rule (like the skill shot on WW). Targets have zero feedback while drops you can see your effort rewarded.
    To each his own but drops are a blast from the past and still a nice PF toy. I am mainly a DMD guy but an old title like the Stern 9 Ball is still a great game today.

#24 11 years ago

Overated?? No, one of the best pinball features ever! As mentioned,the sweep in Jackbot /pinbot is most satisfying.

Future Spa has horrible inline drain monsters,Harlem not so bad.

The drop targets on Ebd are the best.

I think Flintstones was the last BW to have drops.CC had to finish off with pop up targets.

#25 11 years ago

I see what you're saying, but I have to say the DT's in CC were a blast and I still like knocking those suckers down... it gives a simple yet rewarding feeling of accomplishment... I'm in the lookout for a 24, and the DT's are one of the things that's making me want this game...

#26 11 years ago

I like drop targets but can see the slowing the ball down point also.

They are a lot more expensive to make.

#27 11 years ago

drops are fun, but it depends on how a game uses them. My favorites are the ones where the drops are in a single line, and you bust them down to open up new areas of the playfield and new paths.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

My favorites are the ones where the drops are in a single line, and you bust them down to open up new areas of the playfield and new paths.

Fathom and Vector spring to mind... Didn't Mr and Mrs Pac Man have this too? The DT's on SWT were used very well too I thought...

#29 11 years ago

paragon does it as well. I'm a fan. Wish new games would do that. Have secret passages to expose other playfield features with drop tunnels.

#30 11 years ago

My fave inline drop game is EBD. That was my all time fave from the SS era...but I'm sure glad I never plopped down $2k for one!

And the drops in CC are bad ass...almost a different type of feature entirely. Why this isn't done more is beyond me. Is it a Williams patent?

#31 11 years ago

the CC drops arn't new. They were done on several games like that. Even Defender had them like that.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

paragon does it as well. I'm a fan. Wish new games would do that. Have secret passages to expose other playfield features with drop tunnels.

Mystery Castle does this....There's a bank where the lower two targets open a hole back into the shooter lane for an auto plunge to the left flipper...It's in fact called the secret passage

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the CC drops arn't new. They were done on several games like that. Even Defender had them like that.

24 has something similar, no? Never played it, so can't comment on just HOW similar they are to CC... Defender, yes... also Raven has something like this apparently... never had one, just read it in another thread...

#34 11 years ago

Drops rule. Can't play an EM without them.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Drops rule. Can't play an EM without them.

I think the OP was asking how people feel about them being in modern games though...

#36 11 years ago

Drops are great but I feel they often get 'snowed under' in odern games and don't turn out to be that important in gameplay / strategy. I thought it was great WoF has inline droptargets, but I didn't get the idea they have much impact to the game.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I thought it was great WoF has inline droptargets, but I didn't get the idea they have much impact to the game.

They have a big impact on WoF..... being able to make both ramp shots during multiball adds up scoring pretty quickly...

#38 11 years ago

AFM wouldn't be AFM without the drop.
    Fish Tales would suck without the drop.
    FG, T3 there are a bunch of modern games that wouldn't be the same without drop targets.

"Put some damn drop targets in the game".

Steve Kordek

#39 11 years ago

I like it when I can hit the right drop in TFTC and get the bell to deflect into the extra ball. Not hard, just fun.

#40 11 years ago

I love drop targets. Ole timey target banks probably don't make much sense in a modern game. However, having other targets behind a drop and inline drops could fit easily in modern games - and I'm sure there are even more innovative ideas that could incorporate a drop target. However I think they are minimized nowadays for cost savings as the mechs are complicated even for a single drop.

Now if they could modernize and incorporate the old vari-target, that could be fun.

#41 11 years ago

Drop were my first true love in pinball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-drops-over-rated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.