Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002 (resized).JPG
    20170720_202015 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

We're thinking about getting a dog, and I was wondering if dogs get scared from the loud noises of flipper and bumper coils. The dog I had as a child was terrified every 4th of July from fireworks and every lightning storm from thunder, so I know some can have sensitive ears. Hopefully, it is not an issue, but I know my games (which are in the basement) can make loud clacks that are heard upstairs.

Thanks for the feedback!

#2 6 years ago

Not sure what scares dogs, but I sure dislike neighbor's dog's noises.

#3 6 years ago

My dogs don't have a problem with Pinball machines - but they are deathly afraid of Thunder & Fireworks.

#4 6 years ago

My dog usually comes downstairs and falls asleep while I'm playing pinball.

#5 6 years ago

My dog doesn't pay any attention to pins

#6 6 years ago

My dog is scared of a lot of things. She falls asleep at my feet when I play pinball.

#7 6 years ago

Mine lay on the carpet beside me while I play. Both were rescued from the humane society, so it's not something they "grew up" with (that I know).

#8 6 years ago

My dogs (GSD, English Bulldog) pay them 0 attention.

#9 6 years ago

My dog wants to play pinball (see profile pic)

#10 6 years ago

I have quite a few machines in the house and my dogs could care less about most of them but... One of my machines is a DE time machine and when you get back to the 1950s and get the multi ball going it simulates a EM machine with chimes and a pretty loud "klacker". My dogs lose their shit when this happens. They just freak out and start barking and one of them will go hide in the bedroom.

#11 6 years ago

That is my fear with GB. I really think my dogs will lose it when the scream happens.

#12 6 years ago

My dog doesn't have problems with thunder or fireworks, but does leave his favorite room when pinball is played in it. He was older when we got a machine so perhaps that explains the difference in behavior compared to dogs described in other posts.

#13 6 years ago

Dogs are afraid of the unusual. Fireworks are an issue because they're twice a year. Your dog will recognize that your actions are generating the noises and become accustomed to them.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks all. It seems like most dogs are ok with it. We have two cats who love to be near my pins. I was just worried that dogs may be different I'm glad to hear that is not generally the case.

#15 6 years ago

My boxer is more than comfortable around machines she just chills even when we go to friends houses with machines, she grew up with them around, I'm sure most dogs will just get used to it as part of life.

#16 6 years ago

This guy at my house Cooper is not scared...lol
    I've posted this pic before but it's darn funny to me.

20170720_202015 (resized).jpg20170720_202015 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

My dog Charli usually falls asleep under the machine whenever I play and she's terrified of thunder.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

He's mesmerized lol

#19 6 years ago

Our Labrador is the same as most other comments here, scared of fireworks and thunder but pinballs do not bother her.

Only thing that does make her jump is the stupid Stern screech match noise. Not sure about the Bally/Williams knocker noise, have not noticed.

#20 6 years ago

why don't you ask the dog?

#21 6 years ago

I have my knocker coil unplugged my dog hates it.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Lol -- that's a doodle right? Our black standard poodle loooooves pinball! She always comes down to play. She'll get up like that and play, or one person holds her on a stool nearby. She tries to eat the ball thru the glass and will growl at it and smash her face trying to get it in between just watching it. Also tries to eat the shooter rod when you fire a ball. Gotta be quick or you'll have teeth gnawing at your fingers haha.

#23 6 years ago

My boxer is fine around machines, I'm explaining the playfield layout to him in this picture.

002 (resized).JPG002 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

Mine hated them when we first rescued her. I was a little worried. She got used to them. Now she doesnt really care.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Lol -- that's a doodle right?.

Yes sir.
    He's a Golden Doodle

#26 6 years ago

My dog doesn't mind the sounds from the pinball machines but does not like the hitting sounds from the pitch and bat game.

1 month later
    #27 6 years ago

We just adopted a dog this weekend, a rescue who is very, very nervous but also very, very sweet. I am happy to report that the pinball noises don't seem to bother her.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-dogs-scared-of-pinball-noises?hl=tres and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.