New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273575)

Are Cliffy protectors necessary for home use?

By Karl_Hungus

89 days ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 62 days ago by jbovenzi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15954839052501033412488961170749 (resized).jpg

#1 89 days ago

Hi Guys, just looking for opinions on using Cliffy protectors in home use machines. Do they see enough use to make a protector necessary?

#2 89 days ago

Depends on the game. Ones where there's a vertical upkicker pounding into a hole (think monster bash) - absolutely.

It also depends on how anal you are about playfield condition - if some [potential] wear is acceptable to you on switch lanes for instance that are below ramp exits, no need to install those.

In any case, monitor the game (through regular cleaning and inspection) so that if you d notice wear you can make a decision then.

#3 89 days ago
    Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

Hi Guys, just looking for opinions on using Cliffy protectors in home use machines. Do they see enough use to make a protector necessary?

I see you have a couple newer Stern games. The must get Cliffy for those is the ones that protects the shooter lane. I’ve seen NIB games setup for a pin show that had clear coat damage in the shooter lane by the end of the show.

#4 89 days ago

I install them in most areas, such as VUKs, saucer holes, and drops from ramps over lane switch holes.

Installing them doesn't do any harm, and they can prevent possible/potential wear or damage from happening. My line of thinking is that they help keep the game looking as nice as possible for as long as possible.

#5 89 days ago

I've only ever install one on my Star Trek, but I got it with some damage in front of the drop target.

The only time I've ever had damage was on WoZ where the ball must have pupped up and took a piece out of Munchkinland play field edge. Well, that's damage caused by playing, not from getting a crappy play field from Stern that randomly falls apart for no reason.

#6 89 days ago

Yes, unless you don’t actually play your games. Steel ball vs painted plywood - guess which team wins?

#7 89 days ago

Protectors seem to help in the shooter lanes, near eject holes, and in places like the scoops on games like Funhouse and TOTAN. Like others have said, it depends on how many games you play on each machine at home, and the condition of the playfield when you acquire the game, and how willing you are to have it degrade some over time. Hard to imagine, but just 200 games and you'll see visible wear in problem areas. Most enthusiasts will spend the small bucks to get protectors for those key areas. If you just want to run your machines till the wheels fall off, then there is no major reason to get protectors. (In a few cases, like near the Bazaar Scoop on a TOTAN you may find the degrading playfield begins to catch the ball as it gets wedged between the wood and the steel, but your mileage may vary).

#9 89 days ago

Scoops and ramp returns over inlane switches are your big area of need; Always have been.

Shooter lane is overkill, slap a piece of mylar down there and you'll be ok.

I dont see why you would care aboot the tough, but you could put some mylar there too

#10 89 days ago

Just dont ask him where your package is, he doesnt like it. FYI
    I have one on my Tron scoop, looks awesome.

#11 89 days ago

Cliffy's are great for:

1. Hiding existing and/or ugly damage. Especially for covering up wear around goble holes/ scoops that are frequently used. Prime examples of this include ST:TNG Neutral Zone, DE Jurassic Park, WhirlWind. If you look in the market section most of these machines have protectors in the scoops. You know looking at them that they will get blown out and adding protectors on these machines make them look nicer 100% of the time. I have a Cliffy on order for the "Stroke of Luck" scoop for my AFM for this reason.

2. Preventing shooter lane wear: The shooter lane protector is awesome. Mylar would work 90% as well, but IMO Cliffy's look better. Especially if used to hide existing damage.

3. Preserving high end machines that retain value. I have installed Cliffy's on only one of my machines, my MMr. I got it at under 1000 plays and intend to play the crap out of it. I trade games frequently. Installing Cliffy's on this machine will likely prevent a $ amount of damage equal to or greater than the cost of installing them when it is time to sell it.

Would I install Cliffy's in a random 80s or 90s B title to prevent wear? No. Would I do it to "spiff up" an area like a Whirlwind Scoop? Yes. Would I do it to a new machine that still looked perfect and might retain value? Yes.

#12 89 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Mylar would work 90% as well, but IMO Cliffy's look better.

I don't know how adding a piece of metal makes a shooter lane look better than a shooter lane...but to each their own.

#13 89 days ago

The mylar works just fine for shooter lanes. One thing on the scoops, if the scoop is narrow like KISS, then it can make the shot very difficult.

Having said that, I'm very thankful they are available.

#14 89 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know how adding a piece of metal makes a shooter lane look better than a shooter lane...but to each their own.

Ive had a couple games where the shooter lane got fibrous under the mylar.

The cliffy protectors make the ball ride the edges like rails.

The ball doesn't smack the wood any more.

I think they are very good.

#15 89 days ago

As someone who has helped Cliffy with a few templates and testing and restored a few games I have always used the Kerry's in undamaged areas and Cliffy's in areas with damage.
    If the damage is severe I always bed the Cliffy in Marine Tex or a similar A-B epoxy.

#16 89 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's done with ell eee dees.

#17 89 days ago

I am a fan of all Cliffy products. We put full kits on everything we own.

15954839052501033412488961170749 (resized).jpg
    #18 88 days ago

Can you put up some pictures of the cliffy products. What do the playfield cliffy look like?

#19 88 days ago
    Quoted from Lifttracer:

As someone who has helped Cliffy with a few templates and testing and restored a few games I have always used the Kerry's in undamaged areas and Cliffy's in areas with damage.
    If the damage is severe I always bed the Cliffy in Marine Tex or a similar A-B epoxy.

He is BACK! Awesome! You gonna be at shows again?

#20 88 days ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Can you put up some pictures of the cliffy products. What do the playfield cliffy look like?

Cliffy has a website.

Passionforpinball.com

Plenty of photos there!

#21 88 days ago

Water still erodes the stone, regardless of fast or slow moving ...

#22 88 days ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

He is BACK! Awesome! You gonna be at shows again?

Don't know, I bought my old TAF back so I am the 2nd and fourth owner.
    Of course I had to get a MB to go next to it.

#23 88 days ago

In my opinion its always best to protect your game as best u can. All of his products were developed for a specific reason, and thats to protect an area of high wear. The price of these machines are so high that spending another $100 to protect sensitive areas is a no brainer for me

#24 88 days ago

Ordered a full set for my GB and the pieces he has for SW today! Thanks everyone that chimed in!

#25 88 days ago

With the crap playfields there are producing today..... what do you think .

3 weeks later
    #26 62 days ago

My Cliffy's came yesterday! I should have made a video of the install on my Star Wars Premium as I had a hard time finding install instructions for that machine. It was nerve wracking for a relative newbie to take down that much of the machine to install, but the end result is GREAT! Cliffy was also there with some quick and awesome support for me.

You guys were right and I am now a disciple.

#27 62 days ago

Yes, Cliffy Protectors are necessary for Home Use. It keeps him busy in his garage making these things 24 hours a day!

If you ever sell the game, it adds to the value of the machine. I just put a full set into a Players Condition BSD to cover up all the wood edges that were suspect or could be suspect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    $ 6.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RobTune
    $ 137.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 5.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside