(Topic ID: 235567)

Are Boards that utilize Surface Mounted Electronics Throw Away Items ?

By whthrs166

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by whthrs166
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Yes I know about the whole "Node Board Argument" but this topic is clear. Is the electronic future of Pinball headed for (SME) Surface Mounted Electronics? (I think it is.) I ask this question to you guys after having an issue with my Scared Stiff involving a GLM 16 Switch Opto Board That is SME Technology. Loved this board, it had nice onboard diagnostics and self test mode. It was those very diagnostics that help me quickly troubleshoot the board failure. The Problem was : (when a ball was ejected out of the trough, half of the optos were not recognized by the board.) Basically half the optos died in the game. The problem was quickly remedied by replacing the board. I used a through component board from Marco. ( Big High Five to Marco and whomever is making those boards, Thanks Guys) Went to GLM'S website and found that the board is out of stock and has been for sometime. They also don't offer any repair service to repair the board. (although Tony might do it if I contacted him. Haven't done that yet.) So should I just pitch this GLM board? Do you guys think the hobby is headed for SME Technology? Should we be worried about the old boards not being made anymore in the future? What about the New Games using SME Tech, do you consider it being a drawback for buying NIB?

#3 5 years ago

Yeah I know I am not going to try it. First of all like you say, I don't have the tools. My vision isn't what it used to be (at 54) that doesn't help. A lot of these SME boards are inexpensive so pitching them is more of an option.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

FYI, SME isn't really the term that's generally used. Typically it's SMD--surface mounted device or surface-mount device, or SMT--surface mount/mounted technology).

Got it SMD. I was trying to be general on the surface technology. I have been repairing my own boards on my WPC games. I have also sent boards out to Rob Anthony from time to time when the board traces were damaged. I have a full set of WPC-95 boards as spares just so my games won't be down for repair.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Surface-mount technology (SMT) is in practically all new electronics now. This includes pinball machines. It is cheaper and faster to produce. It CAN be better than through-hole counterparts. There are advantages, like smaller (denser) board designs, less leads and traces, etc. But therein lies the problem...IF there is a failure, not only do you have the challenge of needing experience and tools to repair/replace SMT, but you have less space to work with from the start and that is best case scenario assuming that a failure did not damage the traces or circuit board around it. If a component fails catastrophically and burns the traces around it, then I believe you have something that can not feasibly repaired.
    I do believe this is throw away technology in most cases for that very reason. Nevermind the fact that Stern has not yet offered schematics. In most of the bad SMT boards that I have come across, the components failed (for whatever reason) and then typically damaged the board itself. This is because they are mounted directly to the board. Compared to a failed resistor on a Pinball 2000 driver board I was working on yesterday...the resistor is burnt up, and the board is scorched a little, but I can replace the resistor no problem because it didn't affect the traces around it. Even if it did, there is enough room to jumper further on down the trace. On a SMT board, forget it...there are other components mounted just millimeters away.
    Theoretically there could be SMT boards designed well enough to be reliable and repairable if something happened (like shorting a coil circuit to a switch or light circuit while working on a pin). But are they going to design them that way? And if we're thinking like a business, do you want people repairing their own boards or do you want them to be sent in for repair or, better yet, thrown away and replaced with a new one at a price that you get to set? Hmmm...

Well said and noted. I think it should be noted here that I do have soldering skills. I have degrees in electronics EET and EMT. But even with this I do have some limitations. I would be more prone to pitch the SMD board and get a new one. But in this case I don't have that option because the GLM board is not available.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

At the moment no one knows how long these boards are going to last? 5 years, 10 or more?

And will they be available then? with Stern I would expect them to be. CGC Hmmmm not sure...

#15 5 years ago

The other direction I expected Pinball to go is PC based games. example Houdini, JJP games, even my CCC. I really like the all the new avenues that a PC based game can explore. More code that is easily upgraded. That means more toys with better abilities that are supported by such code. However, I do have concerns about PC hard drives and PCs that need cooling via fans ect... They are prone to age and failure. Expensive repairs and replacement. And there again will that pinball company be there for me in 10 years when I need that new PC...

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Personally, I prefer working in SMT assemblies opposed to TH assemblies. I feel like it’s easier to de-solder, which can be a pain on TH components.

I may have to see if you could fix this board for me!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I don't think field techs for route operators would be able to do surface mount board repairs on location.

Yeah this is a completely different situation. I would think that operators would have extra boards to just switch out. Then either do the repair on the board at the shop or pitch it.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

As it pertains to Stern, hopefully they actually release their schematics and it helps with repairability

They should at least do that for their operators! Can't believe it has taken this long.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

My dad would say nothing is throw away...he has the garage and multiple sheds, houses to back it up

I can identify with this! We call our selves "Pack Rats" here in Colorado!

#28 5 years ago

What are we talking about for one of those Node Boards? Is the price comparable to say WPC-95 Driver Board?

#29 5 years ago

So I am still a bit hazy on the topic title here. If the SMD boards are cheap enough, then it would economical to just buy a new one and toss the old one right?
    Ok I know there are those that will want to fix it for a few bucks and could stand to make a few bucks off selling refurbished boards. But if the board was cheap enough it would be just a throw away.

#31 5 years ago

Well if it's a $50 board, I would just toss into file 13. But if it is a $100 or more, I would want to see if it could be fixed. And how dependable would a repaired SMD board be anyway? Are they really intended to be repaired in first place? My concern is if Pinball is going the way of SMD because they are cheap boards and crappy quality. If so, they should be priced accordingly, so we can throw them away.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

I'd hate to have a non-working pin in ten years.

I have lost sleep over this at times. That's why I have a complete set of spare boards for my games. My games are all WPC-95 now but I have owned others in the past (Stern, CGC) that use SMD boards. I am "outside looking in" on NIB games right now and board design and dependability is a concern for me as a buyer. I look at my games as long term purchases and I choose games that I believe have long term collectability. For Stern (IMHO) It is GBLE, STLE and Possibly Munsters. There are others like Tron. Like you I really want to know that these boards are going to be dependable in the long term. If they are, then their prices are justified. If not, and they are cheap throw away junk, then they should be priced accordingly (like one poster implied, $35-$75)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-boards-that-utilize-surface-mounted-electronics-throw-away-items-?tu=whthrs166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.