(Topic ID: 235567)

Are Boards that utilize Surface Mounted Electronics Throw Away Items ?

By whthrs166

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by whthrs166
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Is the electronic future of Pinball headed for (SME) Surface Mounted Electronics?

Yes. It's been there for years, it's just as far as people doing aftermarket boards, the replacement boards are still sometimes done as through-hole if the components are still available and/or if the person is doing hand assembly.

Quoted from whthrs166:

Went to GLM'S website and found that the board is out of stock and has been for sometime. They also don't offer any repair service to repair the board. (although Tony might do it if I contacted him. Haven't done that yet.) So should I just pitch this GLM board?

I wouldn't pitch it. Offer it up here. Someone should be able to fix it and you should be able to get something for it or at least have someone willing to pay shipping and keep it from hitting the landfill. Could always save it until you have some other boards to "toss" them up as a lot too.

Quoted from whthrs166:

Do you guys think the hobby is headed for SME Technology? Should we be worried about the old boards not being made anymore in the future? What about the New Games using SME Tech, do you consider it being a drawback for buying NIB?

GLM not having availability or actively selling boards, doesn't mean they won't get picked up by someone else. Pinside gets tons of traffic and there's plenty of people looking for something to create or recreate. If there's a heavy need, it's a niche for someone to fill.

Quoted from whthrs166:

What about the New Games using SME Tech, do you consider it being a drawback for buying NIB?

It's a drawback for some, but not a deal-killer for people that want the latest and greatest and have deeper wallets.

I had a newer game for a bit, but the thought of all the boards with surface mount components & then the node board issue didn't really sit well. I'd rather games using through-hole boards and I kind of prefer WPC era on back anyway so it fits.

#13 5 years ago

Maybe if costs to import things keep going up & more manufacturing moves to the US.. it'll be cheaper for people to repair things again like it used to be 20-30 years ago when you got your TV, VCR, etc repaired instead of just tossing & buying new.

Just a thought Probably not likely to happen, but hey who knows!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-boards-that-utilize-surface-mounted-electronics-throw-away-items-?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.