(Topic ID: 242005)

Are all WOZ "1.0" light boards interchangeable?

By harryhoudini

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

I think I understand there were possibly 4 combinations of 1.0 light boards (5v, 7v, buffered, non). How interchangeable are those with each other (do I need to know EXACTLY what version I have to be able to use another 1.0 board)? How do I identify exactly which board version I have?

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I think I understand there were possibly 4 combinations of 1.0 light boards (5v, 7v, buffered, non). How interchangeable are those with each other (do I need to know EXACTLY what version I have to be able to use another 1.0 board)? How do I identify exactly which board version I have?

Three versions: 5v unbuffered, 7,5v unbuffered and 7,5v buffered. I think they would work but I would not interchange them to prevent problems caused by that. Best is just to get rid of the 5V. If all is 5V then I would buy the 2.0 upgrade otherwise I would do nothing. I have the 7,5 unbuffered and years without any problems.

#3 11 months ago

I ask because I am looking to solve some issues with my boards without getting the 2.0 kit, right now. I need 2-3 boards and I found some sellers selling all their 1.0 boards but I don't know what boards I have compared to what they are selling and I don't want to change all my boards to another 1.0 set.

Are any interchangeable?

How can I tell one board from another?

#4 11 months ago

I ask because I am looking to solve some issues with my boards without getting the 2.0 kit, right now. I need 2-3 boards and I found some sellers selling all their 1.0 boards but I don't know what boards I have compared to what they are selling and I don't want to change all my boards to another 1.0 set.
Are any interchangeable?

Lift the playfield and look on any ledboard for the version. If it says near the version 5v, it's 5V. I believe v1.1 is 7,5v unbufferred and V1.2 is buffered. Someone correct me if I am wrong

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Three versions: 5v unbuffered, 7,5v unbuffered and 7,5v buffered. I think they would work but I would not interchange them to prevent problems caused by that. Best is just to get rid of the 5V. If all is 5V then I would buy the 2.0 upgrade otherwise I would do nothing. I have the 7,5 unbuffered and years without any problems.

Nope. There's a 5v buffered, too.

#6 11 months ago

Are any interchangeable?

You can't put too many 7.5v boards in a 5v system. I think the limit is 3?

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You can't put too many 7.5v boards in a 5v system. I think the limit is 3?

Ah, I found a post of yours that noted this. So, if I buy ANY "1.x" boards, even if I have the 5v system, as long as I only put 1 or 2 of the 7.5v boards in, then I should be fine?

And buffered or unbuffered doesn't matter as far as interchange?

#8 11 months ago

There are 1.4 7.5v - those will work fine.
Strictly speaking 1.1 version boards have the red / green flipped but there are not many of those out there.

#9 11 months ago

Ah, I found a post of yours that noted this. So, if I buy ANY "1.x" boards, even if I have the 5v system, as long as I only put 1 or 2 of the 7.5v boards in, then I should be fine?
And buffered or unbuffered doesn't matter as far as interchange?

Yeah. In a 5v system a few 7.5v are fine (up toe 3 I think?). Unbuffered 5 isn't desirable as it's the most prone to failure. But really chasing this is a waste of your time since the next time, multiple boards will likely fail again. 2.0 FTW.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah. In a 5v system a few 7.5v are fine (up toe 3 I think?). Unbuffered 5 isn't desirable as it's the most prone to failure. But really chasing this is a waste of your time since the next time, multiple boards will likely fail again. 2.0 FTW.

You see.... the way I am getting 2.0 boards is buying a RR

So I'm just going to patch up my SE so I don't have to spend 10 hours installing the 2.0 system. The next owner can do that Plus they'll get an almost complete set of spare boards

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside