(Topic ID: 162359)

Are all the desirable Titles in Collections?

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Playfield_(resized).JPG
    KOD_Back_Box_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Sometimes it seems that way.After learning a little on my first two refurbishments naturally I became a little discriminating for my next purchase.You would like deeper rule set,higher cumulative scoring,more novelties like return kickers,multi-ball, novelty features.This is the natural evolution for an EM Owner who discovers they can repair and is bitten by the bug(at least it was for me).You read dozens of reviews,look at Play Field photos, try and play as many different machines as possible.Yet when you have compiled "The List" of dream machines you find they rarely appear for sale,save obscure Baltic States or somewhere else unobtainable.Through a 5-State Craigslist search I find many machines that are intriguing but not worth the drive(or price).One would think with a 2 thousand (fill in your own number) Production there would be 2-5 Hundred left of a Title you seek.,I'm beginning to think otherwise,unless they are squirreled away in private collections.Or perhaps the qualities we desire today in a pinball machine differ greatly from reality,the ability of a machine to make coin,and when it didn't perform, was scrapped. I guess I will wait,and hope, unless there is a secret source for rare EM's.

#22 3 years ago

I see dead machines,Weird Williams,overpriced Gottliebs,fringe Chicago Coin,Stern and South-of the Border and Euro offerings.My list would probably be improbable to fill seeing as I agree with Noobee and only seek Project machines,since fixing them is half the fun,and frankly,I feel like I do them justice.Big Valley is at the top of my list,never seen one listed,though a close second 4 Million BC is listed in Mississippi at a decent price,I just can't take off to the deep South right now.Also would like to refurbish a drop-target Gottlieb that racks up points at the end of ball with add a ball.
    Well,taught myself to repair EM's and it might be time to move to SS and do the same.I did a decent job on my first machine,a Fireball Classic,and it is a strong 3 on my list.Never see one of these for sale either,unless its out West somewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback Folks!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd suggest being less picky. The less picky you are, the more there is out there to buy.

You must be picky unless you have unlimited space and voltage. I like traditionally-spaced flippers,small or large,not strange flipper configurations where you can't hold the ball.I like standard 5-ball or 3-ball games, not timed like Williams "Travel Time". I like fast machines with interesting targets, not one-horse wonders like Skylab (though it does look cool).
    Smart people awhile ago figured out what was fun and stowed the machines in storage awaiting repair or kept the best versions in private collections. Good examples do show up on a Nation-wide basis but locally its hit-and miss, like someone said, constant search,fast truck and cash.Oh well,I am thankful for the two I have.

2 months later
    #71 2 years ago

Thanks for the return of the thread.I have been really frustrated in my neck of the woods,looking every day for the right machine. A local Craigslist Ad is driving me nuts, a fellow offering machines at a premium price and selling none,thing is,he jams the Ads with daily updates so it is hard to find real candidates for purchase.Someone from Pinside told me "It is difficult to sell an EM" and I see what he means.
    I am more convinced than ever most of the desirable Titles are in private collections. My local Market offers fringe EM Sterns, Chicago Coin,and Playmatics, all at prices I wouldn't even consider.Desirable Titles are not listed,period,at any price,unless you include an 11,000 dollar Fireball.
    I am sure I will get a Project Machine before the cold weather sets in, just have to be patient.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 9.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.99
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside