(Topic ID: 162359)

Are all the desirable Titles in Collections?

By phil-lee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield_(resized).JPG
    KOD_Back_Box_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago

To answer the op's question............ IMO, yes, and I also think vid1900 is spot on!

I entered the hobby in '88, advertised to buy pinballs in a pennysaver type mailed publication. I used to get 30-40 calls a week with people wanting to sell their non-working pin out of their basement. I was able to pick and chose.

By '95 I noticed I had to hustle if the machine was desirable as by then, there was some local competition.

By the early 2000's I had to hustle to ANY machine I got a call on as I noticed huge competition by way of an ever-growing hobby, and also a bunch of flippers in the area. The 30-40 calls sank to maybe 1/2 dozen, if that many.

By 2010, I noticed after dwindling supplies, a few recessions, etc, most general-public-type sellers were plugged into the internet, did searches and attached unreasonable prices on their broken down pinball, (and anything else), rotting away in their basement that could be worth a few bucks. Done with flipping and happy with my collection, I decided to hang up the hand truck.

Are the desirable titles gone? I'd say so. The hobby is no longer in it's infancy, and those great Wms. Games of the 90's are at or approaching their 20th birthdays. Finding one, or a classic EM reasonable these days is usually considered very lucky.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

Are the desirable titles gone? I'd say so. The hobby is no longer in it's infancy, and those great Wms. Games of the 90's are at or approaching their 20th birthdays. Finding one, or a classic EM reasonable these days is usually considered very lucky.

I thought the op's concern was availability. I guess I should've said, "Finding one, or a classic EM reasonable and not in the hands of a collector-fanatic these days is usually considered very lucky."

With the internet around, the non-collector is now aware his broken pinball is worth more than just a big piece of ugly furniture. Unfortunatly, he has no idea his machine hasn't had the hours of reconditioning needed for the windfall he's expecting........Hence, the term reasonable.

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

There is a lot of luck, no doubt, but there are still good titles out there.
    Last Saturday, saw this King of Diamonds for $100. I was the first caller and brought it home that afternoon.

Extremely rare find, as noted by previous postings.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-the-desirable-titles-in-collections?tu=Boatcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.