IMG_0873 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
122B4731-03FE-4964-9F32-266C3D35004D (resized).jpeg
513A39ED-0E18-4B04-B4B8-59AE4458B02A (resized).jpeg
53297013_2018637224900977_3047715063893852160_n (resized).jpg
Charlies angeles show model (resized).jpg
IMG_20171110_203829 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180911_140304 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I wouldn't call either of those "super rare".

pretty sure Punk fits into ultra rare? maybe not super duper rare, but rare none the less...

I mean, I have been wanting to play one for 7 years and have not even seen one to play.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Just trying to keep this thread pure. Most of the games posted here are either one-offs or had runs of about 20 or less. The "Super Rare" as noted in the thread title. Punk had a run of almost 1000. Spirit over 1200. There are plenty of threads here dedicated to low run and scarce games. Just my opinion.

I would predict less than 40 punks are still in existance. It is really rare. For sure there are fewer than BBB or some of the other "rare" games listed here.

Spirit is probably closer to 300 still around. Agreed that it is not really rare.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

How do you figure that there are less than 5% of the punks left?

observation over time>>

# accounted for on pinside, pinball database, talking with other rare/super rare collectors over time and that have been in the hobby for decades, talking with operators over time, understanding that it was not popular in US and most went overseas, understanding that most GTB of this era did not survive overseas or make it back alive in containers, understanding that these likely went into some rougher locations based on theme alone.

It really comes down to unpopular games from the 70s and 80s that had a larger % go over seas, means even fewer alive today. US collectors drive the collector market and when they did not even know of the game then they did not bring them back.

Keep in mind that some older collectors have also said this was a time when companies were lying about produciton numbers to make things seem better than they really were. They wanted operators to think there would be parts and the company was stable.

Gameplan supposedly did this also in the early 80s when things were rough before the end.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Opinions are not facts.
Your 40/1000 figure is unverified and unverifiable.

yeah... um...

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would predict

that is pretty clear I was not stating it as fact.

However, if you want to be pedantic about it then feel free.

Reality is that very few Punks remain and using comparable data of the various databases of publically listed colelctions it is rare among the rare.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Too bad I can't upvote your post more than once!
Some americans just can't accept the fact that they are not alone in the universe...

one of you guys sitting on a boat load of Punks overseas should pile them up and ship them out. I bet you could make some nice cash. Probably pretty easy to sell at least 5 with little effort.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

His comment was directed at a specific Pinsider not some random Americans.

and it was offensive and stupid also.

Just because he does not like my prediction gives him no right to assert such a generalization that is blatantly wrong.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from noflip95:

Same for me, I've played Punk at different exhibitions. By the way, just last weekend, there was one at the RETROPLAY festival (next to a Devil's Dare).
If we say that Punk is super rare, in this case we could say the same for the Black Hole US (with animated backglass/voices) which has not (or very little - yes, yes, I have the proof ) been imported to Europe. Obviously, this is false, the BH US is not super rare ... except in Europe.

my appologies. I did not realize Punk was so common in EU and outside of US in general (predictions are only as good as the data they use and it appears my data is far from complete). If anyone can locate a nice one for a reasonable price I would be happy to toss you a finders fee for assistance in getting it to the US.

PM for discussion please.

I could also assist with location of a pin stateside to return the favor for the help.

#139 6 years ago

looks like a cool game. Any idea if it is based on something else? I know many times these oddball ones are borrowed form other designs

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

only 21 of these know to exist between the gold top and wood versions. No idea what the production #s were.
--Jeff
https://www.facebook.com/prewarpinball

amazingly fun game!

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Allgood:

Interesting to see some mention of Punk. I have a nice example in Michigan that came from the estate of the late BB King with his original purchase receipt intact. I bought it because of the 80s rock/pop artwork.
Been watching for years, but I have never have seen another for sale or on location anywhere in the US, so it is very hard to set a fair price for sale. I am interested in selling it, but have no price basis to triangulate on. Any recommendations about how to sell or is ebay the best marketplace for rare games?

message sent

3 months later
#248 6 years ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

I bought a Star Light in Europe (Near London, UK), and am shipping it to CA. So that’s another one accounted for. I doubt 100 have actually survived. I put up some info about it on a website I host: http://www.firepower.2ya.com/7-sl.html
BTW- They should get the spelling of the Backglass Artist right on Pinside. I had it corrected on ipdb.org but it’s wrong here, I can’t see how to edit it. It should be Tom Schmelzer. See attached pic from my backglass.

Congrats on a great game! Was that the one with some white paint on the cabinent?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 209.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-super-rare-pins-accounted-for?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.