Are all pinballs the same? I'm referring to the actual silver ball.

Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders.

By visorboy

2 months ago

Stats

• Started 2 months ago
  • 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 months ago by Radius118

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

images (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 68 days ago

Not sure if this is a weird question but what the heck.

Is a pinball just a pinball, or not? There are all types of golf balls and tennis balls...I need new ones as one of my pinballs is a bit pitted and rolls funky. Thanks for your feedback.

#2 68 days ago

Lay off the whiskey my good man...

#3 68 days ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Lol thank you, I will take that as a yes.

#4 68 days ago

I am loving the fact it's legal now, too. Brehhh.

#5 68 days ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Well I just found something called "Silverjet Premium Pinballs"...on the Marcos website. A gold-plated ball would look nice IMO.

#6 67 days ago

No they are all not created equal. Also, If you have a pitted ball do not play another game with that ball until you replace it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-balls#post-3584397

#7 67 days ago

Some balls don't work well in games with magnets.

#8 67 days ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Some balls don't work well in games with magnets.

Thanks @luckydogg420 I see now the silverjet pinballs from Marcos "may retain magnetism". Good looking out!

#9 67 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

No they are all not created equal. Also, If you have a pitted ball do not play another game with that ball until you replace it.

Thank you thank you thank you @Pinballlew!

#10 67 days ago

Some vendors also sell "high gloss" pinballs. They actually look great and I believe they tend to last longer.

#11 67 days ago

All Steel Silver balls retain magnetism! Some demagnetize the balls after so many plays! You can tell by putting the Balls together,and gently rolling ONE! If the other follows on its own,replace it!I use the Silverjets you commented on! Gold Balls don't last! Pahuffman is correct!Have fun!!

#12 67 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Doesn't seem like the op is playing on a pristine newly restored game. Playing another 10 or 20 games with non perfect balls isn't going to destroy anything. It's fine - order new balls and play until they arrive then change. Do them all at once. And wipe down the Playfield to get rid of dirt and junk before you change them, wax with carnuba, then enjoy.

#13 67 days ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Doesn't seem like the op is playing on a pristine newly restored game. Playing another 10 or 20 games with non perfect balls isn't going to destroy anything. It's fine - order new balls and play until they arrive then change. Do them all at once. And wipe down the Playfield to get rid of dirt and junk before you change them, wax with carnuba, then enjoy.

in my opinion it's even more important to have new balls on players condition games. as balls age and pit, they act like sandpaper, and if they are traveling over spots that have already worn through the clearcoat or down to wood, that will greatly accelerate the wear and loss of art.

#14 67 days ago

My tumbler runs nonstop with 5 balls in it at all times. All of my games get ball rotations on a regular basis depending on the amount of play they get. good balls are key. as far as the difference in quality of ball I think they are all the same. the high gloss balls are likely just tumbled like mine are.

#15 64 days ago

images (resized).jpg

#16 64 days ago

I use standard carbon steel for games with magnets and Silverjet Premium balls for games without.

#17 63 days ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

in my opinion it's even more important to have new balls on players condition games. as balls age and pit, they act like sandpaper, and if they are traveling over spots that have already worn through the clearcoat or down to wood, that will greatly accelerate the wear and loss of art.

Unless you clean and wax when you install the new balls, If the game is down to bare wood or clear is gone then just changing out the balls isn't doing *that* much.. still grinding dirt and metal dust around ..in regards to sandpaper -particularly with old balls in an old game -the ball is more likely to be doing a lot more rolling vs sliding so I'm not really seeing that sand paper action as much.. at least imo.

500 games with old balls, prob not great idea. Still maintain - 20 games, mehhh

#18 63 days ago

"Pinballs" are simply 1 1/16" diameter ball bearings. The 2 most common type are carbon steel and chromium steel. There are also other types, like ceramic which is what the TZ powerball is made out of.

The chromium steel balls are shinier and are negatively affected by magnetism. Not a good choice for games with magnets in them. The other downside to these balls is that after 100 plays, they are just as scuffed up as regular carbon steel balls. In other words they really aren't worth the money.

Carbon steel balls are your best value. I buy them in bulk. I think the last 100 piece order was from Marco at 78 cents each.

Quoted from rcbrown316:

My tumbler runs nonstop with 5 balls in it at all times. All of my games get ball rotations on a regular basis depending on the amount of play they get. good balls are key. as far as the difference in quality of ball I think they are all the same. the high gloss balls are likely just tumbled like mine are.

This.... with the exception of Chromium versus Carbon.

I run mine through my rotary polisher for a week and they come out fantastic.. Super shiny and super smooth. I run them for about 100 games or so and then rotate them for another set out of the polisher. You can re-polish them about 3-4 times before you should recycle them. You can polish them in a vibratory tumbler, but the rotary polishers do a much nicer job on balls... and everything else if you are patient.

So don't drink the kool-aid about special balls this or special balls that. The extra shiny balls sold through some vendors are simply regular carbon steel balls that have been run through a large commercial size polisher for a couple of weeks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 45.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 18.99
    $ 194.99
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.