Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180505_180527 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180506_0947452.jpg
    Randy_Lorde (resized).jpg
    Us - Long, long ago (resized).jpg
    e3ab053b58250dd25a1c6ee13e94d6c9 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180419_2024397.jpg
    IMG_20180419_2024253.jpg
    ArgumentChance (resized).png
    IMG_6715 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7064 (resized).JPG
    20180331_011307 (resized).jpg
    20180329_184723 (resized).jpg
    FW-190 pic #2 (resized).JPG
    DSC00067 (resized).JPG

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago

After 20 years I fear mine and I are moving towards being the old angry couple from the movie Armageddon who discover the asteroid. Apon discovering the planet he gets to name it.

"I want to name it Dottie after my wife. She's a vicious, life sucking bitch from which there is no escape."

#152 5 years ago

every marriage is give and take. You want her to give you the freedom, you have to give her freedom. My wife loves harvey seatbelt bags, so I rarely gripe about her buying them (she makes a pretty decent living), and we can afford both. I sort of like that she has something to collect, which also typically increases in value.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from SerendipitySail:

What she doesn't understand is when I go to pick up a pin & come back 6 hours later after checking out the seller's game room & playing for hours. "You were at a stranger's house that whole time?" My response "he's a friend now, so no".

Lord..I feel your pain man.

Quoted from MrsPin:

Get her involved

Okay....

Quoted from MrsPin:

make her feel special

I WILL WIN THAT GAME AT ANY CO..........f---.

#154 5 years ago

Mine (past tense), of 24 years, tolerated it at best. She did participate occasionally but was ultimately not interested and it was a big point of contention. Unfortunately with the kids grown and focusing only on them for years she had no interests of her own and my hobbies were seen as a ridiculously selfish. She just couldn't see how anyone could be 'passionate' about 'inanimate' items. Clearly there were much bigger issues at play there

...anywho, my new love and best friend of almost 3 years loves pinball and wanted them on our main floor (insert confusion/surprise emoticon). The dining room, which is a disconnected room on it's own, now has three (the Gottlieb trio) with a large claw machine and our living room as of two days ago has a Star Trip cocktail as our coffee table (albeit a bit high). She loves and appreciates that I have so many interests and gets the passion. Just genuinely wants to experience and be a part of it all.

With over 7 billion people in this world, I hate to think that even one of you are with someone who gets angered/mad about pinball. Unfortunately most of us live that way (or have experienced it, in my case for half of my life).

#155 5 years ago

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'll ask her opinion whenever I'm not sure if I should pick up a new game, she goes with me to check them out and she'll get in a couple games once in a awhile

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from dnaman:

claw machine

are those as heavy as people say? been casually looking for one. my fear is that not only is it heavy, but if a board has an issue how do i repair it?

#157 5 years ago

I'm extremely lucky. 600 sqft Addition going on the house for a games room. She has her own successful business and she's paying for the house extension. Only because I stopped working 7 months ago due to getting MS.

Only trade off is she gets the old 150 sqft room for her craft room and this.

Having hobbies is great for relationships. It's when one person has them, and the other has none. Or feels neglected because of them. Then things get complicated.

https://www.strongmarriagenow.com/support-spouses-passions/

e3ab053b58250dd25a1c6ee13e94d6c9 (resized).jpge3ab053b58250dd25a1c6ee13e94d6c9 (resized).jpg

#158 5 years ago

Nah. My wife doesn't like playing but she does support my hobby. Occasionally she gets annoyed if I'm spending too much time messing with my games. But it's all good.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

are those as heavy as people say? been casually looking for one. my fear is that not only is it heavy, but if a board has an issue how do i repair it?

Yes they are heavy, the CP came off of the front and it just squeaked into my front door, around the wall and into the dining/game room.

I have a Rainbow 42" (NC42) 'Toy House'. I couldn't find anyone this side of the border to help with my issue (would play one game and then quit swith an error) and then I stumbled on someone's web site for service. Connected twice by phone, he had an idea of the issue and suggested an EPROM replacement. I added an order of rubbers and claw string, BAM all fixed up!

I assume that he won't mind me posting his contact info as it is on his website. He was incredibly helpful!

John's Crane Services
    3775 Georgia Street # 502 San Diego, CA
    619-957-2994

www.johnscraneservices.com

#160 5 years ago

Never been an issue. My wife has supported my hobby 100%. She almost never plays. The only time we have much of a discussion for me to explain some move is when I want to sell a pin.

She even makes sure we keep cash on hand for the inevitable late night decision to road trip the next day for a sudden purchase. Never gripes when at the last minute I tell her I need to run to a buddy's house to help with repair or to see a new pin.

Honestly, I cannot recall a single time this hobby has created any conflict in our marriage (29 years). I am truly a very lucky man.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-Tommy:

Is it just mine or do all pinball wives hate our hobby and seem to be annoyed by our happiness. I finally found something I am interested in and all I get are jabs and criticism. What ever happened to a spouse being happy that their spouse is happy. I guess if we just walked the dogs 12 hours a day she would be happy. I'm confused.

Yes

#162 5 years ago

JUST NEVER! NEVER EVER tell your wife what you actually paid for those pins! Remember....LIES ENHANCE YOUR RELATIONSHIP!

#163 5 years ago

I have a superb wife. Met her 40 years ago, and we've been very happily married for 36. Kind, generous, loving, thoughtful, fun, and, if I say so myself, exceptionally beautiful. She has no interest in pins, but she likes the fact that so many groups come over to the house to enjoy them. I am one of the lucky ones, for sure.

The two of us back when we were first dating:

Us - Long, long ago (resized).jpgUs - Long, long ago (resized).jpg

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

She is currently going through chemo for breast cancer and handling it like a champ! One of the strongest people I know.

Sorry to here that. Get better.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrsPin:

make her feel special

Thanks for the input. It goes both ways, though. I feel disrespected and worthless quite often. Gotta spend more time with the dogs. Seems to be the thing that makes her the happiest. I try to hit the flippers when she is in the tub or playing Farmville. Timing is everything.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Having hobbies is great for relationships. It's when one person has them, and the other has none. Or feels neglected because of them. Then things get complicated

Bingo. My wife needs a hobby. I don't think worrying about the dogs is considered a hobby. I'll keep looking to find her one.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I have a superb wife. Met her 40 years ago, and we've been very happily married for 36. Kind, generous, loving, thoughtful, fun, and, if I say so myself, exceptionally beautiful. She has no interest in pins, but she likes the fact that so many groups come over to the house to enjoy them. I am one of the lucky ones, for sure.

Awesome post. You are living my dream. Best wishes to you guys.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-Tommy:

Bingo. My wife needs a hobby. I don't think worrying about the dogs is considered a hobby. I'll keep looking to find her one.

If she's interested in something encourage it.
    Let her find it. But you can help her by supporting and showing interest in what she wants to do.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

The trick is to have the games clear and present in your home before you get a girlfriend. I know not everyone can do it in that order, but it is a huge help. My now-fiance is into pinball because of me and is bummed that she can't make it to Pinfest this year.

So, if I get a girlfriend that likes pinball my wife won't be angry any more?

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-Tommy:

I used to be married to one of those. Took me a while to realize a) she needed a hobby and not think we needed to be together ALL the time. The years I wasted...

And b) that -I- needed to be more engaged when it was our time to be together. My (second) wife still gets pissed when I am off doing something without her, but it is almost always because I didn’t tell her in time, and she’s got to deal with the kid by herself with no backup plan, or she feels ditched or whatever. If I tell her up front a week or whatever in advance, then it’s “planned”. Still learning..

#171 5 years ago

note to self - don't ever get married with children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

#172 5 years ago

I don't understand why any wife would complain about any hobby.

My wife likes to watch cooking shows, which I think is incredibly boring, but I would never give her static about it.

Why would I? Why would I care what my wife does with her time? She wants to watch boring TV, then be my guest.

The only reason I could think of for a wife to have any legitimate complaint about pinball is if you were short on money. These games are expensive, so it might be considered a needless expense.

But if your wife has a gripe your pinball hobby just because she personally doesn't care for pinball, then she's being a jerk.

A wife like that would complain about any hobby you had. If you liked fishing or bowling or stamp collecting, she'd be on your case about that, too.

#173 5 years ago

Anyway, to answer the OPs question: No, not all women are crabby about pinball.

Mine likes to camp out on our TAF.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

My wife likes to watch cooking shows, which I think is incredibly boring, but I would never give her static about it.

Anything she learns or tries. You get to eat. Sounds like a win to me.

LTG : )

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Anything she learns or tries. You get to eat. Sounds like a win to me.
    LTG : )

I was thinking the exact same thing. Lol

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

You married someone who tried to make decisions for you?

My experience is that they all secretly try to call the shots.
    If that is not your experience it could be because:
    a) She is very good and you have simply not noticed yet
    b) You have not been married long enough
    c) You have found a unicorn

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

"You're telling me you've met a girl, she's a 9 hot and a 2 or 3 crazy? Be careful, that's a dude."

#178 5 years ago

Her name is Randi.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

a. I don't call the shots, WE call the shots.. except when it comes to ordering food, then she wants me to do it
    b. Been married 18 years
    c. Haven't found a horn yet

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Her name is Randi.

Randy_Lorde (resized).jpgRandy_Lorde (resized).jpg

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I don't understand why any wife would complain about any hobby.
    Why would I? Why would I care what my wife does with her time? She wants to watch boring TV, then be my guest.
    The only reason I could think of for a wife to have any legitimate complaint about pinball is if you were short on money. These games are expensive, so it might be considered a needless expense.
    But if your wife has a gripe your pinball hobby just because she personally doesn't care for pinball, then she's being a jerk.
    A wife like that would complain about any hobby you had. If you liked fishing or bowling or stamp collecting, she'd be on your case about that, too.

AHHH Someone who understands and articulated beautifully. Thanks for a wise post. $500 isn't going to bust the bank. I think she doesn't like 'Those big ugly things in my house'. If I collected stamps, that would probably be stupid too. I guess I'm being selfish for doing something just for me. I don't criticize her for anything she does. Her choice her happiness. We are working it out. Things settle down until I find another game that I like. I'm not really wife bashing, just trying to understand where the negative vibes are coming from. Probably the money.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

I only have experience with the one I married 28 years ago. It's a team effort. She's better at some things. I'm better at others. We work together.

#183 5 years ago

Pro tip:

If your wife already hates pinball and you have to tell her that all the money you sent to Heighway pinball from years ago is now gone, do it via text while you're both at work. Then stay at work extra-late that day.

#184 5 years ago

Thankfully, my wife enjoys pinball as well

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Pro tip:
    If your wife already hates pinball and you have to tell her that all the money you sent to Heighway pinball from years ago is now gone, do it via text while you're both at work. Then stay at work extra-late that day.

Wish I had followed this advice before I told my wife last night that I'm (we're) out $9K!!!! Thankfully I'd been prepping her that this exact scenario might play out. She wasn't happy, but understood the how's and why's of what happened.

#186 5 years ago

If it weren't Pinball it would be something else, might as well be something you love!

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-Tommy:

AHHH Someone who understands and articulated beautifully. Thanks for a wise post. $500 isn't going to bust the bank. I think she doesn't like 'Those big ugly things in my house'. If I collected stamps, that would probably be stupid too. I guess I'm being selfish for doing something just for me. I don't criticize her for anything she does. Her choice her happiness. We are working it out. Things settle down until I find another game that I like. I'm not really wife bashing, just trying to understand where the negative vibes are coming from. Probably the money.

Nope. How much time do you spend fixing / playing?

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Pro tip:

A better pro tip:

Honey, we're taking a European vacation. Visit Wales and take her to Heighway HQ. Tell her right then and there what they've done. I bet you get your pin.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Are all pinball wives mad all the time?
    Fixed your puzzled life question for you....

I read that 15% of Women are on some form of medication or treatment for anger/stress related issues...a scary statistic...

...It means 85% are running around untreated.

jk.

#190 5 years ago

Having a hobby is healthy as long as it doesn't dominate other areas that are more important. Spouse, kids, work, health, - These should always take priority. Hobbies are a welcome distraction from all other responsibilities in life. However there are times a hobby can become a distraction. We all know people who do something too much. I'm sure you know people who: watch too much TV, Surf the internet too much, play on their phone too much, play video games too much... Etc. See what I'm getting at? Try to look at it from her side. Is it dominating time you should be investing elsewhere?

I work long hours (60-70 hours/week). I decided that I would avoid hobbies that require time away from my family. So, if I'm not working then I'm home. I can play 15-30 minutes and it isn't a big deal since it is at home. My kids and wife can play too if they want. However, if there are things I should be doing more (cleaning, reading to kids, making dinner, etc) then I do that first. Otherwise you should look at your priorities.

I bought a game my wife liked (WOZ). We have found some overlap in games we like but not all of them. I have many friends who's spouse never plays their games. This is fine but it is more fun to share interests if possible.

What does your wife enjoy doing?

#191 5 years ago

My wife doesn't mind me liking pinball, doesn't mind me heading out anytime to play pinball, and doesn't mind the four pins and two arcade machines in the living room. Then again she also doesn't mind that I film girls for a living. We do whatever we want and are happy for each other, but your mileage may vary.

#192 5 years ago

My wife is super cool with the hobby. I never ever had to ask if I wanted a game, I just bought it. She never complained and still doesn't.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heaterguy:

If it weren't Pinball it would be something else, might as well be something you love!

Concluded this a while ago. Not sure what makes her happy. Ignore the jabs and try to be happy myself.

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nope. How much time do you spend fixing / playing?

Fixed the two EM's I bought and hauled them upstairs. Play about an hour per day for my therapy. I'm sure I'll do something wrong again, like choose the wrong parking space.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

Farmville, browsing Facebook, worrying about the dogs. This thread is getting away from pinball and heading into therapy. My bad. Pinside is great. Another fun and relaxing thing to do. It's fun to find a repair tip and learn something new. I especially enjoyed TerryB's soldering guide. Awesome. Learning to work on boards is probably the next goal. Pulled a motherboard out of an old comp to practice on.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from CheapTrick33:

Wish I had followed this advice before I told my wife last night that I'm (we're) out $9K!!!! Thankfully I'd been prepping her that this exact scenario might play out. She wasn't happy, but understood the how's and why's of what happened.

Do tell.

I'm out of the loop on all this stuff.

Lost $9k?

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from T-Tommy:

Farmville, browsing Facebook, worrying about the dogs. This thread is getting away from pinball and heading into therapy. My bad. Pinside is great. Another fun and relaxing thing to do. It's fun to find a repair tip and learn something new. I especially enjoyed TerryB's soldering guide. Awesome. Learning to work on boards is probably the next goal. Pulled a motherboard out of an old comp to practice on.

maybe you need a little marriage counselling.

sometimes it's best to lift the scab and dump some peroxide in there

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

Having a hobby is healthy as long as it doesn't dominate other areas that are more important. Spouse, kids, work, health, - These should always take priority. Hobbies are a welcome distraction from all other responsibilities in life. However there are times a hobby can become a distraction. We all know people who do something too much. I'm sure you know people who: watch too much TV, Surf the internet too much, play on their phone too much, play video games too much... Etc. See what I'm getting at? Try to look at it from her side. Is it dominating time you should be investing elsewhere?
    I work long hours (60-70 hours/week). I decided that I would avoid hobbies that require time away from my family. So, if I'm not working then I'm home. I can play 15-30 minutes and it isn't a big deal since it is at home. My kids and wife can play too if they want. However, if there are things I should be doing more (cleaning, reading to kids, making dinner, etc) then I do that first. Otherwise you should look at your priorities.
    I bought a game my wife liked (WOZ). We have found some overlap in games we like but not all of them. I have many friends who's spouse never plays their games. This is fine but it is more fun to share interests if possible.

My wife and I used to work non-stop.

Then we decided that come 7:00 PM, we're done for the day. Period.

And no work gets done on Sunday. Period.

Try it.

Let the kids watch cartoons and eat mcdonalds for one day a week.

#199 5 years ago

I'm lucky. Mine doesn't play too often, but supports the hobby ---- right up to the garage / house door. lol. As long as they stay on my side of the garage, her car on the other, and no games in the house we are great. She even suggests I go work on or play games some times. And is supportive of my league play. I do have to make sure to put working on and playing games in balance with spending time with her doing what she likes, and getting the occasional "oh honey, can you....." requests done in a reasonable time. But she even named my latest acquisition, May. (Mayfair)

#200 5 years ago

My wife likes playing the games, and she likes going on pick up runs. She is still mad that I sold AC/DC a few years ago. She is also not happy that we do not own a Bride of Pinbot.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-pinball-wives-mad-all-the-time/page/4?hl=mageek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.