Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DiscoDungeon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I've really been enjoying the live streams from PAPA during big tourneys. Seeing Alien Star was a real treat. I was just curious, what is the prep like for a game for a tourney like the most recent one? I would assume they'd be completely shopped and have all mechs rebuilt. Are games clearcoated if they originally didn't have clear? Do the games get revamped when they're selected or are the constantly kept up in pristine shape. I'm curious as obviously its a lot of work to keep ONE pinball machine up and perfect never mind hundreds.

#2 6 years ago

They make sure the tournament games are playing hard and modify things as needed. All the games in the public area are in working shape. Some have playfield wear. They don't clear them, and I don't think they should. Sometimes a game in the public area doesn't play that well, but 99% of them play just fine. All sorts of PAPA games break down, but they usually fix them pretty quick. I

#3 6 years ago

They have people restore the games for them. I had a friend who restored a bunch of games for them before and after the flood.

#4 6 years ago

I have helped PAPA acquire a few games before. They generally try to start with a good, clean example unless it's a game that is really hard to find. They never clearcoat or redecal a machine, but they rebuild mechs and fix board issues if needed to get a game playing great.

#5 6 years ago

Umm, is it just me or did KC_Masterpiece and Betelguese's posts seem to end abruptly?

I thought it was kinda stra

#6 6 years ago

I recall a story about the Mousin' Around used in a number of A division tourneys being a complete mess when they found it. Sounded like a big project to turn it around.

#7 6 years ago

Yes, i got cut off on my first post and had to edit it.

Mousin Around was much worse than most games they get, but that game took a long time to find so they made due with what they had. It's still cosmetically the same aside from cleanup and new rubber rings, lamps, etc.

#8 6 years ago

From the games I have seen there I wouldn't say they are restored. I would say they all play very good and are generally pretty clean. It has to be the largest collection of games that play right around!

#9 6 years ago

They have one full time Tech, and they get help from local pinball people to help tech the games for tournaments and stuff.

I wouldn't say that they are all kept up in pristine shape, but they do the best they can with the resources they have. They have a group of people to help them play test games for Pinburgh and identify any issues that may have been overlooked.

Recently, the members of the PPL went and did a clean up day at PAPA. That included cleaning glass on games and the flipper buttons, I'm sure it was a monumental task.

#10 6 years ago

The games as a whole play much better this time during PAPA 17 than they did during PAPA 15 which was my first visit. During PAPA 16 I noticed an improvement over 15. This time I noticed it more. I talked to Doug and he explained that they have been going over all the games over the last few years. Primarily due to the success of Pinburgh and the fact they use so many of the machines for it. So he said we should continue to see the games play even better. Of course there is a point in which the game is pretty much as tweaked and tuned as you can get it without going to the high end restore extreme. But over all this has got to be one of the best playing collections out there. We are talking public/semi public and not private home use collections....

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have helped PAPA acquire a few games before. They generally try to start with a good, clean example unless it's a game that is really hard to find. They never clearcoat or redecal a machine, but they rebuild mechs and fix board issues if needed to get a game playing great.

::waves::

#12 6 years ago

I purchased the Mousin Around in question on behalf of PAPA. It was found in a junkyard, surrounded by quite a few other machines. I pulled a few machines out that day, and that was the only one that went to PAPA. Steve did quite a bit of work to get it back into decent playing condition.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside