Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spike_led_pw_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

I'm looking to change the bulbs in my coin slots as well as the start button and extra ball button on my Who Dunit. I have sent several emails out to Coin Takers as questions on what to order to get this done, I have even called them and never have got a response, so I am going to the boards here at Pinside for answers.
    What bulbs do I need to order, are all the same on every machine these particular bulbs? Any help would be appreciated. I figured I could pull them and check, but I don't want to pull them till I replace.
    Thank you.

#2 8 years ago

44/47's or 555's on newer pins (Sterns)

#3 8 years ago

I thought the start button was a different type of bulb?? IIRC, LEDs don't work well in the start button.

#5 8 years ago

To answer the thread title: No.

#6 8 years ago

i've never seen a start button or coin slot that wasn't standard 6v 44/47 bulb. And I own games from every manufacturer and bunch of euro stuff and still all the same.

#7 8 years ago

Take your smaller Phillips screwdriver, unscrew each of the 2 screws holding the socket at each insert, pull out the bulb and reveal that it Is a 555 wedge, I'm pretty sure on WPC 95 machines. Twist the back part of the start button casing and reveal that it also is a 555 wedge. Order 3 warm white superbrites from CT, these will fit in all 3 slots.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've never seen a start button or coin slot that wasn't standard 6v 44/47 bulb. And I own games from every manufacturer and bunch of euro stuff and still all the same.

WOZ is the only exception at 12v that I'm aware of.

#9 8 years ago

why would they make the start button 12V? From a design standpoint, it's just a straight up stupid move. Why make your customers buy a special bulb just for the damn start button, when you could have used the same bulbs that everything else uses?

#10 8 years ago

Thank you guys for the info, I should have posted here first to start with

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The gottlieb genesis (system 80b) I have uses 555 on the coin door. I think just about all the other games I have use 44/47.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why would they make the start button 12V? From a design standpoint, it's just a straight up stupid move. Why make your customers buy a special bulb just for the damn start button, when you could have used the same bulbs that everything else uses?

It doesn't make sense for JJP to spend the extra money just to create 6v for a few bulbs as 6v is old tech now. I don't know anything about Spike, but I wonder if Stern even uses 6v anymore. Anyone know?

#13 8 years ago

I took a quick peek at the KISS Spike manual. It looks like they are using +5 LED power. My guess is they are running a standard #555 LED a little dimmer? I can't confirm this, maybe a Spike owner can pull a coindoor LED and see if it has a voltage printed on it.

spike_led_pw_(resized).pngspike_led_pw_(resized).png

#14 8 years ago

I actually used colored LEDs in my coin slots (Orange) and start button, red in the launch button (like MM).

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tekman:

It doesn't make sense for JJP to spend the extra money just to create 6v for a few bulbs as 6v is old tech now. I don't know anything about Spike, but I wonder if Stern even uses 6v anymore. Anyone know?

5V is not old tech. You have the entire history of pinball that uses 5V and now with your one game, you are going to go and expect everyone to keep a 12 volt bulb on hand just for a handful of bulbs/leds? that would be a bad move.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

5V is not old tech. You have the entire history of pinball that uses 5V and now with your one game, you are going to go and expect everyone to keep a 12 volt bulb on hand just for a handful of bulbs/leds? that would be a bad move.

My comment was 6V is old tech, not 5V.

#17 8 years ago

5 or 6, doesn't matter, everything works the same with either one. Same bulbs same everything.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-coin-door-bulbs-the-same and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.